PDA

View Full Version : Things I'm too stupid to do: Install a tent liner

Tog
2012-Oct-19, 06:12 PM
Th GF's brother has a 10-mn hexagonal arctic tent with stove. He's also got a liner for it. It has tie straps at the top and around the vent and chimney holes, but there is no way either of us can see to hook the liner to the inside of the tent.

The liner has small a small "x" on the fabric where the hook things should go, but it looks like they were supposed to be button holes or grommets. The thing dangling from the roof is a cloth strip that ends in a metal "stick" about 2 inches long. This is rounded on the ends and comes together in a loop to hold it to the cloth strip. If there was a button hole it would make perfect sense to slip this stick through the hole, but there's no hole.

Online instructions cover how to set up the tent, and how to take it down an d store it, but the only thing I can find about the liner says "Make sure it's secure by hanging it from all the suspension points." This is not as helpful as the author may have thought.

Anyone have any idea how to do this?

Fazor
2012-Oct-19, 06:20 PM
"Make sure it's secure by hanging it from all the suspension points." This is not as helpful as the author may have thought.

No advice, sorry. But those two lines would have made me spit my coffee had I not dumped the rest of it out a few minutes prior to reading them. :)

IsaacKuo
2012-Oct-19, 07:27 PM
Sometimes you've just got to modify the product to get it to work. I recently put together a new crib, and literally had to cut some corners to get it to fit together. I have a feeling that the design flaw was the result of someone making a change to part of the design without realizing or even caring that it would mess up another part (a part that makes it convert into a toddler bed...who cares? Most people won't notice until several years down the road).

Solfe
2012-Oct-20, 02:54 AM
Sometimes you've just got to modify the product to get it to work. I recently put together a new crib, and literally had to cut some corners to get it to fit together. I have a feeling that the design flaw was the result of someone making a change to part of the design without realizing or even caring that it would mess up another part (a part that makes it convert into a toddler bed...who cares? Most people won't notice until several years down the road).

Wah!

Let me get my paranoid dad hat on and tell you to call the manufacturer. Cribs are the only device you place a child into and leave the unattended for hours at a time and find them alive afterwards. It has to be right every time.

Even if your case is ok, contact the company anyway to let them know QA fell apart some place. They may actually act on your information.

Ok, turning crazy paranoia, knee-jerk reactions off.

Nowhere Man
2012-Oct-20, 03:30 AM
Call the tent manufacturer. If it's not from some obscuro Chinese factory, that is.

Fred

geonuc
2012-Oct-20, 09:01 AM
Tog, can you tell us the make/model. I'm curious as to what this tent looks like.

Tog
2012-Oct-20, 10:10 AM
Here's the manual (http://www.drash.com/userfiles/File/Manuals/1006402,%2010-Man%20Arctic%20Tent.pdf) in PDF format.

It's a military surplus 10-man arctic tent. The instructions sewn on the liner have the date 1965 on them. Here are some pics (http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t6272-10-man-arctic-tent) of one that looks similar. The bottom one shows the liner in place, and it looks like the metal clips do go through holes in the liner. Our line has no holes for them.

Trebuchet
2012-Oct-20, 02:36 PM
The "military surplus" thing is a bit of information that changes the whole picture. I'd guess someone has combined the liner with a slightly different model of tent that wasn't intended for one.

SeanF
2012-Oct-20, 02:50 PM
The "military surplus" thing is a bit of information that changes the whole picture. I'd guess someone has combined the liner with a slightly different model of tent that wasn't intended for one.
I'd guess the opposite. I think we can safely conclude that the tent utilizes a liner - the documentation makes reference to it - just not this specific liner.

This would also fit in with the statements that the tent has connectors for the liner, but the liner doesn't have holes to accommodate the connectors.

Which I guess isn't really the opposite of what you said. Somebody combined a liner with a tent that was not made for that liner, yes. :)

Tog
2012-Oct-20, 06:38 PM
I would think that too, if not for the fact that the holes for the chimney and the roof vest line up in the liner, including cloth ties for them all. We've decided that, for whatever reason, the holes just didn't get cut into this one and it got shipped. I find tat hard to believe, but it makes the most sense. The only other thing I can think is that there should be a box of binder clips that grab the liner then loop overt the pins, which might be valid workaround. I've not seen them listed in any inventories though. I was just hoping for an simple trick I couldn't work out.

Solfe
2012-Oct-21, 01:26 AM
Does the tent itself have the ties for the liner, but the liner has no holes? If that is the case, buy some dollar store spring clips and tie them to the tent. Then clip away. Not too much work or any damage to the liner on the off chance you missed something and figure it out later.

geonuc
2012-Oct-21, 08:05 AM
Look on page 84 of this pdf. It might be the type of liner connection you have, or should have.

http://www.drash.com/userfiles/File/catalog/DRASH-Catalog.pdf

DoggerDan
2012-Oct-21, 10:21 AM
Steps:

1. Erect very large tent

2. Spray Urethane foam

3. Wait several years for aldehydes or whatever to vacate.

Solfe
2012-Oct-21, 03:21 PM
Do you have a small child available? My son's received a tent with messed up instructions and missing parts. Several adults took a try at assembling it and gave up after about an hour. When the adults exhausted themselves, the tiger scouts took over and got it set up in minutes flat.

I find tents so frustrating.

NEOWatcher
2012-Oct-22, 04:53 PM
I find tents so frustrating.
It's one thing if it's something you assemble once, but these are to be assembled over and over again. I guess they think that the user is going to learn it once and magically remember how to do it.

This summer, I was assisting someone having trouble with putting up a tent like canopy. It had 7 variations of poles where some were almost indistinguishable from one another. They had them numbered and the instructions were numbered correctly, but the marking on the poles were tiny little stickers in about 10 point font. I guess making the numbers larger and more permanent would make the tent "look bad".

Tog
2012-Oct-22, 05:38 PM
Does the tent itself have the ties for the liner, but the liner has no holes? If that is the case, buy some dollar store spring clips and tie them to the tent. Then clip away. Not too much work or any damage to the liner on the off chance you missed something and figure it out later.
I swiped some folder binders from work. I figured the metal rods on the tent would hold up the lever part of the binder clip, then we could stick the liner in the jaws. The span on the clip levers was too wide for the length of the rod. When I bent them to make them fit, I weakened the spring, but I think I'm at least onto something with this.

geonuc, unless those things are self powered electro-magnets or scary-strong neodymium , I don't think they're for this tent. The one a few pages above, under specialty is ours, but the liner on that same page is a different model, I think.

I think I just came up with a way to make it work with a bunch of large paperclips, but it would mean poling holes. Small holes, but still holes.