PDA

View Full Version : Massive elliptical galaxy with the largest core but no apparent black hole

rishenko
2012-Oct-26, 04:47 PM
An interesting article about an elliptical galaxy with apparently no central black hole, and yet the largest core ever (http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object/index.cfm?fobjectid=51004).

Being an overall newbie, I would greatly appreciate any more experienced thoughts on this. :)

antoniseb
2012-Oct-26, 06:45 PM
The 4th paragraph after the picture pretty much tells the story. This core is probably the result of a recent merger, and more than one SMBH is involved. It's not like the Hubble telescope can just see every black hole, regardless of circumstance, but this galaxy doesn't have an active one at the center. That's all they looked for. They didn't see it.

rishenko
2012-Oct-26, 07:37 PM
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for helping clarify that!

George
2012-Oct-31, 11:47 PM
They do offer one stretch of an hypothesis where two SMBHs, but dissimilar in mass, might create enough gravity waves to surf (my term) their way out of the galaxy. I don't know if that would be possible, but even if enough thrust could be generated, I would assume it would be a bipolar thrust with no major effect. Also, wouldn't such an event create a parade of following stars?

They also claim the 10,000 lyr. size for the "core" is unusually large, but isn't that the same size as our own bulge? Is a bulge different than a core?