PDA

View Full Version : BA Alert: Lunar Eclipse during World Series game 4

jfribrg
2004-Oct-25, 07:37 PM
Check This out (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=96&ncid=753&e=10&u=/space/20041022/sc_space/totallunareclipsetograceworldseriesgame4)

Weather permitting, the eclipse will be visible to fans with a good line of site at Busch Memorial Stadium. And, if FOX television producers so choose, the potential exists for this to be the biggest audience ever to see a lunar eclipse televised live.

I would expect that at some point during the game, they will show the moon. I can't imagine a bunch of baseball broadcasters commenting on the lunar eclipse without some BA, especially since it is from the same network that brought us the moon hoax "documentary".

One GA note: I didn't see anything in this article that jumps out as being BA. Maybe some eagle-eyed BABBler can find something.

Maha Vailo
2004-Oct-25, 07:40 PM
I guess we're gonna have to watch Game 4 to find out, huh?

- Maha "Go Sox!" Vailo

Candy
2004-Oct-25, 07:41 PM
Check this out (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=96&ncid=753&e=10&u=/space/20041022/sc_space/totallunareclipsetograceworldseriesgame4)

As long as it's not an Earthquake, I'm happy. 8-[

[jfribrg, your link needs an equal sign at the beginning]

jfribrg
2004-Oct-25, 07:42 PM
Check this out (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=96&ncid=753&e=10&u=/space/20041022/sc_space/totallunareclipsetograceworldseriesgame4)

As long as it's not an Earthquake, I'm happy. 8-[

[jfribrg, your link needs an equal sign at the beginning]

Thanks Candy. Done.

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-25, 07:44 PM
you may want to familiarize yourself with the BBcode for clean posting of lone URLs.

[url=www.insert_url_here.com]description[/url]

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Oct-25, 07:50 PM
Notice: Any PM sent to me may be made public.
Wouldn't that violate the BA's rules (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/faq.php#37)? Especially, Ground Rule #4 (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/faq.php#0).

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-25, 07:53 PM
Notice: Any PM sent to me may be made public.
Wouldn't that violate the BA's rules (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/faq.php#37)? Especially, Ground Rule #4 (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/faq.php#0).Isn't your last post unrelated to the topic at hand. You're not attempting to hijack it are you? I for one want to keep talking about the eclipse. I hope to get some pictures of it. Feel free to pm me or start a new topic please.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Oct-25, 07:58 PM
Feel free to pm me
well, I would have... :)

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-25, 08:03 PM
Feel free to pm me
well, I would have... :)By Golly, It Works! :D

So does anyone think that the lunar ecplipse will affect the outcome of the game somehow? How often does a fielder lose the ball in the moonshine?

Candy
2004-Oct-25, 08:09 PM
you may want to familiarize yourself with the BBcode for clean posting of lone URLs.

Isn't that what jfribrg did?

Check This out (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=96&ncid=753&e=10&u=/space/20041022/sc_space/totallunareclipsetograceworldseriesgame4) :-?

BTW, I will join Maha Vailo is watching Game 4 of the World Series. :P

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-25, 08:13 PM

Isn't that what jfribrg did?

[ url=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=96&ncid=
753&e=10&u=/space/20041022/sc_space/totallunareclipsetograceworldseriesgame4 ]Check This out[ /url ] :-?

BTW, I will join Maha Vailo is watching Game 4 of the World Series. :Pmay have been, but if the code was correct it would have looked fine but not linked properly. I got lost in all the =? and =?

jfribrg
2004-Oct-25, 08:27 PM
One measly missing equals sign(=), as Candy pointed out (fixed 5 minutes after I created the thread) and the whole thread meanders off course. Back to the main event. I'm trying to think of what kind of BA the announcers can come up with during the game:

Here are a few that I wouldn't be surprised to hear:

"What are the chances that we get a full moon and a lunar eclipse at the same time?"

"The eclipse isn't complete yet because we can still see the moon"

"I would think the outfielders should be wearing sunglasses so they don't get blinded by the moon rays."

any others?

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-25, 08:48 PM
You can assume that one of them will tell people not to look at it or they might go blind.

If the Red Sox win the first 4 games, then that will be the victory celebration and you can assume someone will make a comment about winning the series on a fullmoon/eclipse and how fullmoons/eclipses make people looney and that is why the fans will riot in the streets.

DodgerDean
2004-Oct-25, 08:51 PM
Unfortunately the forecast for St. Louis for Wednesday is for rain and clouds. Too bad, cause like the article suggested it might have been the most watched eclipse ever...

Oh, and GO SOX!

Jpax2003
2004-Oct-25, 08:56 PM
Unfortunately the forecast for St. Louis for Wednesday is for rain and clouds. Too bad, cause like the article suggested it might have been the most watched eclipse ever...

Oh, and GO SOX!Maybe the blimp an fly above it. Oh wait, the blimp would get in the way of the gondola cameras.

Candy
2004-Oct-25, 10:08 PM

Oh, and GO SOX!
They can take coverage under the coppery hue umbra. Won’t that be a sight to see? 8)

DodgerDean? You weren't perhaps routing for another team? 8-[

Maksutov
2004-Oct-25, 10:23 PM
Yo, JPax, how about truncating the URL example so we don't have to horizontal scroll?

Maksutov
2004-Oct-25, 10:26 PM
Feel free to pm me

So does anyone think that the lunar ecplipse will affect the outcome of the game somehow? How often does a fielder lose the ball in the moonshine?

More often it's "because of the moonshine." 8)

iFire
2004-Oct-26, 12:56 AM

Oh, and GO SOX!

Rain?! CLOUDS?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :cry:

Oh, and GO CARDS... (at least we can spell Cardinals right... Sox... phooy :P )

Swift
2004-Oct-26, 09:58 PM
Feel free to pm me

IIRC there was an experiment in the 1970s or 80s with an orange colored baseball, with the idea that it showed up better versus green grass and blue sky on TV. Might have been the A's. If they used that, it might get lost against the moon.

Donnie B.
2004-Oct-26, 11:33 PM
I predict that:

1) If the sky is clear, they will (at some point) show the eclipse.

2) One of the announcers will read an accurate description of the event, prepared in advance by some knowledgable person (not the announcer himself).

3) Another announcer will make fun of the previously-mentioned announcer for displaying an uncool level of knowledge. As we all know, no normal person would understand such arcana... :evil:

Anybody want to bet?

Maksutov
2004-Oct-27, 02:14 AM
Well, we had our first view of the Moon from St. Louis through the clouds at the beginning of the fourth inning. The announcers said nothing.

Of course the eclipse is tomorrow night.

Tobin Dax
2004-Oct-27, 04:48 AM
Well, we had our first view of the Moon from St. Louis through the clouds at the beginning of the fourth inning. The announcers said nothing.

Of course the eclipse is tomorrow night.

Of course, they have to know that. The only calendar I've bothered to pay attention to was in a fellow grad's office, and it said that the full moon is on Thursday. So I had to explain to her (heck, I even corrected a prof today) that it is Thursday *UT*, so tomorrow night. If the staff/whoever at the baseball game isn't aware of this, they could well make the same mistake.

Jim
2004-Oct-27, 01:29 PM
I predict that:

1. Fox will indeed show the lunar eclipse during the game (and probably miss a fantastic inning-ending, bases loaded pickoff in the process).

2. One announcer will make the comment that "I guess there's a bad moon rising for the (Sox)(Cards) tonight."

3. The other announcer will respond that "the moon must be a (Cards)(Sox) fan and is hiding in embarrassment" or some such.

4. There will be a comment tonight and/or headline tomorrow about the Sox/Cards "eclipsing" the Cards/Sox.

5. Any "scientific" discussion of the eclipse by the Fox announcers will draw groans from BABBsters loud enough to be heard by their neighbors; some tv sets will be damaged in the process.

Added...

6. And if the Sox win, the eclipse will somehow be linked to the end of The Curse.

Maksutov
2004-Oct-27, 07:33 PM
[edit]
6. And if the Sox win, the eclipse will somehow be linked to the end of The Curse.
And if so, Yankees fans will point out that The Curse TM has only been eclipsed, and as with eclipses, this is only a temporary condition, and things will be back to normal shortly, as the incantations of the people cause the evil demon to slowly spit out the Moon and go away. :wink:

Maksutov
2004-Oct-27, 07:40 PM
Boston Globe sports writer Dan Shaughnessy has gotten a jump on the Game 4 Bad Astronomy. Here are a few excerpts from his article yesterday

ST. LOUIS -- It looks as if the planets really are aligned for the Red Sox this time. A lunar eclipse is due to start less than an hour before the Sox and St. Louis Cardinals play the fourth game of the World Series tonight. If skies are clear, the moon over Busch Stadium will be blood red in the late innings.
and

There has never been a full lunar eclipse in the middle of a World Series game. Red October, indeed.
then

Martinez got the only help he needed in the form of a historic baserunning blunder by Cardinals pitcher Jeff Suppan -- more proof that the larger forces finally are smiling on Boston's baseball team.
and finally

It could happen tonight or tomorrow, or back at Fenway this weekend. But it is going to happen. The Red Sox are going to win the World Series. The planets are in line.
Seems to be mostly astrology mumbo-jumbo. Perhaps that's appropriate, given how superstitious a lot of baseball players are.

:D

ToSeek
2004-Oct-27, 08:38 PM
Red Sox, red Moon. Coincidence? I think not!

sts60
2004-Oct-27, 08:41 PM
Zetas SPOT ON again!

(ducks, runs)

Maksutov
2004-Oct-28, 02:57 AM
Haven't heard much of the game, being outside about 100% since 7 PM. But Yahoo! has managed to do some BA in their eclipse article.

Skywatchers on half the planet are gearing up to watch Earth's shadow consume a blood-red Moon tonight in the last total lunar eclipse until 2007.

Sorry, but the Moon isn't "blood red" before the Earth's shadow "consumes" it, instead the portion of the Moon covered by the shadow is what changes color. Tonight so far totality has looked more like a coppery, very dark yellowish brown rather than "blood red".

iFire
2004-Oct-28, 02:59 AM
I hate weather.

sarongsong
2004-Oct-28, 03:12 AM
The camera occasionally pans to the moon thruout the game.
"...You have to capture the mentality of the Red Sox fan... You start every season and every game almost completely sure that you will be beaten soundly...you always think to yourself, This could be it. This could be the year..."
http://tinyurl.com/cgmx

Meteora
2004-Oct-28, 05:12 AM
I hate weather.

You WHAT???!!! :evil:

:D

jfribrg
2004-Oct-28, 01:31 PM
Red Sox, red Moon. Coincidence? I think not!

So, the Red sox beat the red birds under a red moon. If only the moon could occult Betelgeuse or something, then that would be really special.

I guess you could say that the Sox win it all only once in a red moon.

maryellenandtom
2004-Oct-30, 06:52 PM

"I lost the ball in the moon."

Hank Sauer
Chicago Cubs
To manager Frank Frisch during a night game after pursuing and calling for a fly ball which landed 20 feet in front of him

From Baseball Quote of the Day
http://quote.webcircle.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?position=LF

I remember the incident, probably from the 1960's, but found no other reference in a quick internet search.