PDA

View Full Version : Escape Velocity refugees?

nomuse
2004-Oct-26, 06:55 AM
I thought I'd seen a few folk from the EV board around here. Can I call for a general raising of hands?

(Macintosh sharware game by Ambrosia for those who don't know -- probably most of us -- and I apologize for being a bit off-topic.)

AstroSmurf
2004-Oct-26, 10:49 AM
*raises hand shyly*

Darasen
2004-Oct-26, 06:59 PM
Rasies hand proudly !!!
Great game. I modded mine several times. Once I even made a cow launcher so my ship fired Cows instead of missles and they moo'd until splat !!!

Really a great game though I wish current games were as interesting.

Darasen

Waarthog
2004-Oct-26, 11:08 PM
I am still fiddling with the basic EV Nova. No mods yet.

iFire
2004-Oct-27, 12:51 AM
God, I haven't be to the EV boards in ages, either EVula's nor Ambrosia's official ones...

nomuse
2004-Oct-27, 05:40 AM
Heh. I've been once in the last three months. Was working on a small but ambitious TC (few systems, but all new graphics and sounds) but never got past about 10% mark. Nova basically killed it.

porky26030
2004-Oct-27, 08:36 PM
whee! though i haven't gotten into the modding community, i'm a big fan of the original ev (haven't gotten the expansions) and was an eager downloader of plug-ins before they stopped coming altogether. any ev fans, by the way, should take a good long look at vendetta online. it's basically ev, in 3-d, massively multiplayer. needless to say, that's a very good thing. you can find it online at vendetta-online.com

nomuse
2004-Oct-27, 09:15 PM
Oh, no multiplayer for me. I can whup the computer players, usually with some variation of the Monty Python (once took out two dreadnoughts with a scout ship), but a live human would kill me.

Nova has nice eye candy but the strong mods for EVO -- esp the Martin Turner ones -- make that still my favorite. Nova just has too many assets to make it plausible for a single modder working alone to finish a TC.

(Sorry for the Geek up there; Mod -- we tend to call them plug-ins in the EV community; EV, EVO, EVN/Nova -- the original game and two upgrades of the engine; TC -- a plug-in that replaces the whole game universe and most of the ships et al. Oh, and Monty Python -- running backwards while firing, what the Evercrack people call "Kiting a Mob.")

phongn
2004-Oct-28, 12:22 AM
I'm not from the EV boards, but found EVN immensely fun (heck, I went through the trouble of getting a Mac emulator until it was out for Windows!) and probably got a few sales off another board I'm on for Ambrosia :)