PDA

View Full Version : DSLRs for black & white

2012-Nov-06, 10:22 PM
I've read that by taking images in B&W, you get more light because you're not dividing up the pixels on the sensor for color. is this true of a DSLR(T2i) in monochrome mode or is it like the issue with binning where it's faked by the cameras software?

RickJ
2012-Nov-07, 03:22 AM
No gain. Either way you are imaging through the color filters on the chip which reduce the light to each pixel by a factor of 3 or so. You want to use a true mono chip without color filters to get a true gain in light. Binning reduces resolution but captures the same number of photons so again no gain in light captured.

To get the most out of a color camera separate the colors and combine them into a luminance image. Process that for detail. Combine the RGB data into a color image you process for color fidelity then past the Luminance on top of the color, select Luminance as the blend mode (in Photoshop) and adjust the luminance layer for the best overall image. Won't go nearly as deep as a mono camera but is better than just processing the color image that comes from the camera.

Rick

2012-Nov-08, 01:14 AM
I suspected as much, but wanted to ask.

Thanks for the extra info