PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite meal as a kid?

Buttercup
2012-Nov-10, 07:12 PM
Spaghetti. :)

My mother made it simple: Ground beef and Hunt's tomato sauce. Which I know isn't "spaghetti" to some, but it sure was to me as a kid. I could eat two platefuls.

When mom said "We're having spaghetti tonight," that was music to my little ears.

How about you? :)

closetgeek
2012-Nov-10, 07:26 PM
Fried spam and corned beef hash. I don't have the stomach for that anymore.

publiusr
2012-Nov-10, 08:03 PM
Mac and Cheese. I could eat a whole boilerfull.

Solfe
2012-Nov-10, 08:55 PM
Funny, I can think of only a handful of things I enjoyed as a child: oranges, pistachios, and cream of wheat.

I can think of one whole category of food I wouldn't eat - kid branded cereals, especially the stuff with bright colors or marshmallows added. That is a stronger memory because most adults would ask "Why? Are you not feeling good?" Nothing stands out as a cause for my dislike, I seem to recall it as being a strawberry vs chocolate ice cream sort of choice.

starcanuck64
2012-Nov-10, 09:15 PM
Chili con carne, we used to have big Christmas tree parties where a bunch of neighbours got together went out and...well got Christmas trees. For dinner we usually had something like chili con carne, so it's kind of a festival food for me.

Tied for second would probably be spaghetti and New England clam cowder.

closetgeek
2012-Nov-10, 10:39 PM
Funny, I can think of only a handful of things I enjoyed as a child: oranges, pistachios, and cream of wheat.

I can think of one whole category of food I wouldn't eat - kid branded cereals, especially the stuff with bright colors or marshmallows added. That is a stronger memory because most adults would ask "Why? Are you not feeling good?" Nothing stands out as a cause for my dislike, I seem to recall it as being a strawberry vs chocolate ice cream sort of choice.

My children have outgrown asking for the "kid" cereals and I still get excited every Halloween because the local stores stock the shelves with Frankenberry, Booberry, and Count Chocula(?). I just accept that this is something I will never outgrow.

ShinAce
2012-Nov-10, 10:50 PM
Eggs and bacon. Still my favourite, but I enjoy just about anything now.

Trebuchet
2012-Nov-10, 11:41 PM
Campbell's vegetable soup. Campbell's tomato soup, with a grilled Velveeta sandwich. Hamburger with pickles and ketchup at the Spudnut Shop down the block. Strangely, I don't recall having a donut there but I loved watching their automated fryer with the donouts -- sorry, Spudnuts -- going around a track on little cars in a bath of hot oil.

When my little brother came along he was an extremely picky eater, and the only soup he'd touch was chicken noodle. I still can't stand the stuff because we had it so often.

"We're having spaghetti tonight" would be music to my ears today, but my wife can't eat it because of her ulcers.

KaiYeves
2012-Nov-11, 12:41 AM
Steak, spinach, and mashed potatoes, the way my dad makes them. I still love it, so he got into the habit of making it for me on the first night I would come home from trips and now, the first night of every period that I'm home from college.

Noclevername
2012-Nov-11, 01:19 AM
My grandmother's homemade pasta with homemade sauce.

FarmMarsNow
2012-Nov-11, 03:57 AM
Peanut butter & jelly sandwich with a glass of whole milk. The sandwich had to be cut into 4 squares.

Solfe
2012-Nov-11, 04:01 AM
Peanut butter & jelly sandwich with a glass of whole milk. The sandwich had to be cut into 4 squares.

My wife used to work nights and after a rough shift, offer to cut the children's PB and J sandwiches into squares, triangles or circles. They still tease her about that one.

WaxRubiks
2012-Nov-11, 05:38 AM
potato cheese(mashed potato and cheese)

and then I moved on to Macaroni cheese(Mac & Cheese)

Trebuchet
2012-Nov-11, 06:09 AM
Steak, spinach, and mashed potatoes, the way my dad makes them. I still love it, so he got into the habit of making it for me on the first night I would come home from trips and now, the first night of every period that I'm home from college.

I won't argue with the steak and potatoes, but the spinach belongs in the other thread.

jokergirl
2012-Nov-11, 09:14 AM
My mom made some excellent Bolognese sauce, but in a pinch, I'd eat mac and ketchup just as gladly.

;)

geonuc
2012-Nov-11, 09:19 AM
Fried chicken, although like Trebuchet I also loved Campbell's vegetable soup.

swampyankee
2012-Nov-11, 01:45 PM
Lobster, with melted butter, baked potato, and some random vegetable that wasn't peas.

DonM435
2012-Nov-12, 04:57 AM
I was content with hamburgers and hot dogs throughout my youth.

However, once or twice a year, my grandmas and my mother could prepare this complicated dish of cabbage rolls stuffed with beef, pork, rice and onions and lots of butter (and absolutely no tomato sauce, by the way). That was divine. I could have eaten it every day, but would probably have succumbed to various heart ailmnts before I tuned twelve. No, you could only partake of this upon special occasions.

Mrs. M. learned the recipe from my last surviving grandma, and prepares it for each of my birthdays. She's probably the last woman on Earth who can do this just right.

KaiYeves
2012-Nov-13, 01:35 AM
I won't argue with the steak and potatoes, but the spinach belongs in the other thread.
I've had yucky spinach, but the way my dad makes it is delectable, with olive oil and garlic.

ToSeek
2012-Nov-13, 04:05 PM
Grilled cheese sandwiches
Tacos
Peanut butter crackers (that I made myself)
TV dinners with franks and beans

starcanuck64
2012-Nov-13, 05:51 PM
Home made bagels still warm with Philly cream cheese.

SeanF
2012-Nov-13, 07:12 PM
I don't recall having a "favorite" meal. My Dad did most of the cooking, and it was almost always experimentation. I don't think he ever made exactly the same thing twice.

The joke around the house was that you knew it was going to be especially good if it looked like it had been eaten once already. :lol:

Ground beef and Hunt's tomato sauce. Which I know isn't "spaghetti" to some, but it sure was to me as a kid.
Of course that's not spaghetti. That's sauce. Spaghetti is the noodles. :)

NEOWatcher
2012-Nov-13, 07:20 PM
Lobster, with melted butter, baked potato, and some random vegetable that wasn't peas.
Maybe not my favorite, but lobster was up there. (I don't know if I had a favorite).
My parents had a hard time with me at restaurants because my tastes were quite expensive.

Trebuchet
2012-Nov-13, 10:44 PM
I'm pretty sure I was at least 35 before I first tasted lobster. I didn't really think much of it.

swampyankee
2012-Nov-13, 11:02 PM
:sick:
Spaghetti. :)

My mother made it simple: Ground beef and Hunt's tomato sauce. Which I know isn't "spaghetti" to some, but it sure was to me as a kid. I could eat two platefuls.

When mom said "We're having spaghetti tonight," that was music to my little ears.

How about you? :)

:sick:

It is spaghetti, but it isn't sauce. Marinara sauce is pretty easy -- about 20 minutes if you use decent canned tomatoes. There are many good brands, but they may not be distributed in Coruscant.

swampyankee
2012-Nov-13, 11:06 PM
Maybe not my favorite, but lobster was up there. (I don't know if I had a favorite).
My parents had a hard time with me at restaurants because my tastes were quite expensive.

When, many years ago, I was growing up my mother was unusual in that she cooked vegetables other than string beans and peas (btw, canned peas are absolutely disgusting). She did complain that we like the expensive vegetables more than the cheap ones (turnips are also disgusting).

Van Rijn
2012-Nov-13, 11:52 PM
Not all the time, but I remember when I was a kid when we lived in Nebraska we'd occasionally have really amazing steak. It was USDA prime - hard to get and extremely expensive these days, but wasn't that big a deal then.

Van Rijn
2012-Nov-14, 12:13 AM
This talks about the change in beef production. Because people wanted leaner meat, the production of USDA prime is far less common now, so extremely expensive, but it used to be pretty common:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/food/1996-10-18/525425/print/

I remember getting a good steak after years of the leaner stuff and realizing my childhood memories of the incredibly good tasting steak hadn't been exagerated.

Buttercup
2012-Nov-14, 12:15 AM
Not all the time, but I remember when I was a kid when we lived in Nebraska we'd occasionally have really amazing steak. It was USDA prime - hard to get and extremely expensive these days, but wasn't that big a deal then.

The Midwest has THE best beef (when I could eat it). An aunt moved to Nevada in the 1950s; she said people in Reno would line up outside a refrigerated delivery truck to get Midwestern beef. The last time I sank my teeth into an Iowa burger was in 2000; it'd been years, and I'd nearly forgotten how delectable. :)

starcanuck64
2012-Nov-14, 12:33 AM
Living in northern New Brunswick for a few years as a kid, we sometimes caught lobsters in the shallows at low tide and it was cheap to buy from the dock, about $1.50 a pound at that time. I'm allergic to seafood but I loved lobster with lemon butter and I just assumed the sick feeling you got after eating it was part of the experience. I also loved clam chowder but I can't eat anything that comes out of the ocean now.:(

mike alexander
2012-Nov-14, 12:55 AM
A package of Graham crackers crushed up in milk to a pasty consistency, eaten while sitting in front of the TV at 6AM Saturdays.

Trebuchet
2012-Nov-14, 12:59 AM
A package of Graham crackers crushed up in milk to a pasty consistency, eaten while sitting in front of the TV at 6AM Saturdays.

I believe we left them slightly crunchy.

Not exactly a meal, but I used to love the old kind of marshmallows that came in a box. After they got stale and hard as a rock. Those were yummy!

I'm going to go make some grilled cheese sandwiches now.

SeanF
2012-Nov-14, 01:19 AM
Oh, my, yes. How could I have forgotten this?

NEOWatcher
2012-Nov-14, 06:57 PM
That was a somewhat common breakfast for us too. It's interesting that as I grew up, I got away from wanting my cereals to be mushy.

SeanF
2012-Nov-14, 10:05 PM
That was a somewhat common breakfast for us too. It's interesting that as I grew up, I got away from wanting my cereals to be mushy.
Just wait. Eventually, you'll want mushy again. :)

Paul Beardsley
2012-Nov-14, 10:10 PM
Poached eggs on toast done by my mum was (and still is) wonderful. Done by my dad was (and still is) even better. He's 78 now but he's still got it when it comes to that dish.

My wife, who can cook anything* brilliantly, won't do me poached egg because she's afraid of being compared to my parents.

*Really.

schlaugh
2012-Nov-14, 11:07 PM
1. Pot roast
2. Chocolate cake
3. Take out (mom didn't have a deep menu of excellence)

She could make great cabbage rolls but for me it was not really a treat; I don't like boiled cabbage so I'd skin the rolls to get to the meat. With ketchup, please.

Trebuchet
2012-Nov-15, 02:34 AM
Just about everything's better with ketchup. And bacon.

NEOWatcher
2012-Nov-15, 04:22 PM
Just wait. Eventually, you'll want mushy again. :)
I don't want to think about that yet.

I just remembered one of my breakfast favorites when I was growing up...Dutch Babies (http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/GermanPancake.htm)
They describe it as a cross between a souffle and an omelet. I disagree, it's a lot more eggy-bun-like. It's really a popover made flat.
Went great with some lemon juice, melted butter, clinged peaches and powdered sugar on top.

starcanuck64
2012-Nov-15, 09:31 PM
Stuffed peppers- Hollow out green peppers(which IIRC was all we had available back in those days) and fill them with a meat, rice, tomato sauce mixture and bake.

Chuck
2012-Nov-15, 10:15 PM

My mother used to make a spinach side dish that included bacon, onions, and vinegar. It actually made spinach tasty. I don't think I've eaten spinach since I left my parents' home in 1977.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Nov-16, 03:09 PM
My mother used to make a spinach side dish that included bacon, onions, and vinegar. It actually made spinach tasty. I don't think I've eaten spinach since I left my parents' home in 1977.
Arguably everything can be made edible with the addition of enough bacon, though for some things the value of "enough" is very large.

mike alexander
2012-Nov-16, 04:20 PM
A special treat was Mom's breaded veal. She would pound the meat thin and then bread it with homemade crumbs.

I learned from her the trick of double-breading. By breading the meat twice a pound of veal would feed five, with some left over for sandwiches the next day.

I don't use veal, but double-breaded chicken is a fair substitute.

Swift
2012-Nov-16, 05:03 PM
I don't recall a specific favorite meal; I liked (and still do) just about everything. Pizza is still one of my big favorites.

I would get cravings and be really into a specific dish for a while. There was one summer I ate liverwurst sandwiches all summer.

There are also foods that I grew up with, ate all the time, but are really hard to find now (at least in Ohio), like knishes and hamantash.

NEOWatcher
2012-Nov-19, 08:13 PM
Stuffed peppers- Hollow out green peppers(which IIRC was all we had available back in those days) and fill them with a meat, rice, tomato sauce mixture and bake.
We had both stuffed peppers and stuffed cabbage. Somehow (in my experience) peppers were not palatable as a kid. We'd just eat the insides if it were a stuffed pepper.

starcanuck64
2012-Nov-19, 09:26 PM
We had both stuffed peppers and stuffed cabbage. Somehow (in my experience) peppers were not palatable as a kid. We'd just eat the insides if it were a stuffed pepper.

Is stuffed cabbage the same as cabbage rolls? We had cabbage rolls often in the winter months.

I liked the peppers after they had absorbed a lot of the fat from the hamburger, but I don't think I ate them raw when I was a kid.

Baked beans was another favorite.

For desserts I think my favorite was cherry cheesecake, the no-bake kind and Pineapple upside-down cake.

NEOWatcher
2012-Nov-20, 06:39 PM
Is stuffed cabbage the same as cabbage rolls? We had cabbage rolls often in the winter months.
Yes.

starcanuck64
2012-Nov-20, 07:15 PM
Cabbage rolls are good but gassy I find.

schlaugh
2012-Nov-20, 08:59 PM
Cabbage rolls are good but gassy I find.

I didn't know you knew my family.

starcanuck64
2012-Nov-20, 10:47 PM
I didn't know you knew my family.

The day after chili could be eventful too.

swampyankee
2012-Nov-20, 11:32 PM
Arguably everything can be made edible with the addition of enough bacon, though for some things the value of "enough" is very large.

Of course, this approach is not likely to succeed for those who do not particularly like belly bacon.

Trebuchet
2012-Nov-21, 01:50 AM

Or cheese!

Chuck
2012-Nov-21, 02:07 AM
Turkey salad sandwiches for several days after Thanksgiving. That was better than the turkey dinner.

Trebuchet
2012-Nov-21, 02:09 AM
Oh yeah, the turkey leftovers are the best part. Turkey sandwiches. HOT turkey sandwiches. Turkey soup.

Jens
2012-Nov-21, 07:18 AM
I also loved clam chowder but I can't eat anything that comes out of the ocean now.:(

I remember reading that terrestrial animals all came out of the ocean. So I guess you're OK when they've been out for several million years? :)

HenrikOlsen
2012-Nov-21, 05:37 PM
Or cheese!
For me, most cheeses are in the "need much more bacon" group of foodstuff.

starcanuck64
2012-Nov-21, 06:35 PM
I remember reading that terrestrial animals all came out of the ocean. So I guess you're OK when they've been out for several million years? :)

All life came from the oceans at one point, I guess I'm lucky the kind of toxins I'm sensitive to that are found in seafood don't last that long.:)

Chuck
2012-Nov-21, 11:45 PM
Also, I really like Hardee's hamburgers. Two hamburgers, french fries, and a drink cost 80. Then one fateful when they were busy, I ordered their largest burger and the guy who took my order called it back to the kitchen and went to wait on someone else. It eventually came down the chute and someone else ordered the same burger, and the guy who waited on him grabbed it and sold it to him without calling it back. Since I hadn't paid, I left and never went back. By then there was a fish'n chips place and a pizza place closer to home anyway.

Trebuchet
2012-Nov-22, 01:01 AM
Something I loved as a kid was "campfire stew", which my mother picked up in the Girl Scouts. Brown a pound of hamburger, dump in a can of Campbell's vegetable soup, get warm again and serve. Yet another thing my brother's picky eating spoiled for me.

DonM435
2012-Nov-22, 02:37 PM
Also, I really like Hardee's hamburgers. Two hamburgers, french fries, and a drink cost 80. Then one fateful when they were busy, I ordered their largest burger and the guy who took my order called it back to the kitchen and went to wait on someone else. It eventually came down the chute and someone else ordered the same burger, and the guy who waited on him grabbed it and sold it to him without calling it back. Since I hadn't paid, I left and never went back. By then there was a fish'n chips place and a pizza place closer to home anyway.

Once at a McDonald's, I was waiting at the counter and they plopped my burger down in front of the guy two spaces behind me in the queue. He was a real old guy, and he proceeded to open the carton and start flipping through the sandwich to see if it had the right things on it. I said "Hey, I that that's mine," and "No don't open ..." and "Hey, stop that!" to no avail. When the employee got back and I told her "I think that was supposed to be mine, but it's been destroyed," she tried to put it back together and give it to me anyway. I asked for a refund and got out of there.