PDA

View Full Version : A story from my grandmother

Trebuchet
2012-Nov-11, 09:11 PM
This featured story (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Jennings_Bryan_presidential_campaign,_1896 ) about William Jennings Bryan on Wikipedia reminded me of this story my grandmother told, late in life.

"Nana" was born in 1881 and grew up in Lincoln, Nebraska, where Bryan lived when he was running for president. Bryan himself lived in a fancier part of town, and was not at home on Election Day IIRC, but his elderly mother lived just in the next block from my great-grandparents. On Election Night a small crowd gathered in front of old Mrs. Bryan's home, including my grandmother and great-grandparents.

Mrs. Bryan came out on the porch and chatted with them. Someone asked, jokingly, whom she had voted for for president. She was rather offended and informed them in no uncertain terms that, as always, she had voted the straight Republican ticket.

Her son was a Democrat!

Gillianren
2012-Nov-12, 12:42 AM
Funny but impossible--women in Nebraska didn't get the right to vote until well after Bryan had given up on the Presidency.

Durakken
2012-Nov-12, 12:53 AM
Darn you reality...always ruining a...so-so story.

Trebuchet
2012-Nov-12, 03:17 PM
Dang, that's interesting. I wonder how that story really originated now.

Gillianren
2012-Nov-12, 06:29 PM
Could well have been a true story about someone else. Sara Roosevelt rather springs to mind.