PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Morning Apparition of Mercury

Centaur
2012-Nov-19, 04:59 PM
Normally elusive Mercury has begun its finest apparition of the year as a morning star following its inferior conjunction between Earth and Sun on 2012 NOV 17. If you have not already, hereís your chance to finally see it! This apparition will conclude with the planetís superior conjunction behind the Sun on 2013 JAN 18.

My detailed article describing Mercuryís morning apparition appears under the links for my related preview graphics at: www.CurtRenz.com/mercury

Photos and descriptions of Mercury during its current apparition would be welcome additions to this thread.

mapguy
2012-Dec-10, 02:45 PM
Only 10 degrees this morning, but skies were very clear, and I'm fortunate to have an unobstructed view to the southeast from a window in my house. Saw something low on the horizon, fairly bright. Nearby Venus and the Moon made it clear this object was on the ecliptic, so I wondered if it might be our elusive little friend; a quick check on Stellarium confirmed it. A nice scene, with Saturn and Spica nearby. According to Centaur's chart, tomorrow morning and the next day should be good, too, the moon having moved even closer to the inferior planets.