PDA

View Full Version : Has Curiosity Made an ‘Earth-Shaking’ Discovery?

Fraser
2012-Nov-20, 04:10 PM
This image was taken by Front Hazcam onboard NASA’s Mars rover Curiosity on Sol 102 (2012-11-18 21:41:54 UTC). Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech The Mars Science Laboratory team has hinted that they might have some big news to share soon. But like good scientists, they are waiting until they verify their results before saying anything definitive. In an [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/98576/has-curiosity-made-an-earth-shaking-discovery/)

absael
2012-Nov-21, 04:21 AM
Since the news stems from a soil sample test in the SAM instrument, it seems to me that the "earth-shaking discovery" is probably a result that strongly indicates that life once existed on Mars. Maybe I'm being optimistic - I'd even say hopeful, given my desire to see an announcement like this - but Dr. Grotzinger makes it sound like this is going to be a Really Big Deal, if it checks out. Any guesses from people more educated in the workings of the SAM instrument and/or biology than I?

Selfsim
2012-Nov-21, 06:20 AM
Oh brother ...

Here we go (again) ... I wonder what Grotzinger thinks he's trying to achieve by 'leaking' this kind of stuff?

Does he have any idea of what's going to happen between now and when the analysis/checking is finalised?

Why, why do they do this?
Is it an ego thing ..?.. to be the first to 'let loose' with some news?

Or has he decided that Curiosity has fallen from the front pages of some Astrobiology magazine and he's trying to 'bump' it up again?

I pity the folks having to do the analysis and report the final science (when the time comes)!