PDA

View Full Version : Kitties in Spaaaaaaaaace!

Tuckerfan
2004-Oct-28, 12:08 AM
Okay, it's just one cat, and it's on the Vomit Comet, not in space, but it's pretty funny, nonetheless. http://216.40.242.213/mirror/cat.mov

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-28, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure if that's cute or sad!

Glom
2004-Oct-28, 12:34 AM
That guy threw the cat against the wall. Let's hope PETA don't see that. Funny though.

Colt
2004-Oct-28, 12:45 AM
Why were they throwing it against the wall? Evil heathens.

Normandy6644
2004-Oct-28, 12:49 AM
That guy threw the cat against the wall. Let's hope PETA don't see that. Funny though.

I wouldn't say "threw," I'd say "gently tossed." :)

tlbs101
2004-Oct-28, 01:12 AM
That's funny but I pity the cat (I have 6, myself).

The bouncing-off-the-wall wasn't bad at-all. The worst part was when the cat tried to "right" itself from the wall to the floor and ended up spinning around and around.

Still, I would try that with 2 of my cats, who are more intelligent than the other 4.

Monoxide Child
2004-Oct-28, 01:42 AM
hahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahhaahahahahahaahahhaha haahhahahahahahaah

that was GREAT!

Candy
2004-Oct-28, 01:55 AM
Kiddies in Spaaaaaaaaace, next! 8-[

Monoxide Child
2004-Oct-28, 01:59 AM
And then MONOXIDE CHILD in space... 'cept I'd be tossing my COOKIES against that wall..

Staiduk
2004-Oct-28, 02:54 AM
I thought it was interesting myself; though the cat was rather distressed I doubt it was particularly traummatic - just confusing. The interesting bit was how the instinctive righting response kicked in - as the cat was travelling toward the bulkhead; she had a definite target to aim for - note her landing position as she approached. As soon as she bounced off though; her righting reflex (which when you look at it is a really amazing bit of evolutionary instinct) kicked in with the lack of G's; sending the perplexed feline spinning. Even in such weird (for the cat) circumstances though; it was impressive how easily she stabilized herself once she could get a paw on something. (and how much she learned in only 2 repetitions.)

Bender
2004-Oct-28, 06:13 AM
Bender is owned by five kitty cats, and when I showed one of the the film the cat determined local vertical by attaching herself to my face that that alien critter in Alien. Not funny, I am leaking hydrualic fluid now... :wink:

My vet has GOT to see this! =D> =D> =D>

zebo-the-fat
2004-Oct-28, 09:08 AM
It seems unkind to the cat, try that with my cat and you would end up loosing a large amount of flesh!

Amadeus
2004-Oct-28, 11:13 AM
This was not a wise thing to do! Apart for the tendacey of a scared cat to because a Fur coat filled with razor blades what if it decided to be sick etc.... can you imagine the mess? :o

jami cat
2004-Oct-28, 01:26 PM
Kittie is a lethal weapon in zero-G.

Spinning fur razor.

See how it attached like velcro to the girl on the first toss. LOL

Don't try this at home.

SeanF
2004-Oct-28, 01:31 PM
The interesting bit was how the instinctive righting response kicked in - as the cat was travelling toward the bulkhead; she had a definite target to aim for - note her landing position as she approached.
You know, I was thinking about this last night, and something occurred to me.

How does a cat normally know which way is down when it's falling?

Is it the approaching surface ("I wonder if it will be friends with me?"), or maybe the rushing air? Doesn't seem to me that it would be, because when I've seen cats do it, they turn their legs down immediately, before there's really much movement.

Is it memory? Does the cat "remember" which way was down just before it lost it's support and turn that direction?

It can't simply be gravity, because the cat itself is in freefall regardless of whether the room it's in is also. If it was somehow sensing gravity alone, the cat in the video would've turned it's legs towards the earth's surface and stayed.

gethen
2004-Oct-28, 01:35 PM
I dunno. The sight of that cat twisting and turning, trying frantically to right itself before impacting what its eyes told it was the ground, kind of bothers me. My guess is that it was terrified.

zebo-the-fat
2004-Oct-28, 01:44 PM
Throwing a terrified cat at someone would be classed as a biological weapon! :D

Candy
2004-Oct-28, 01:52 PM
Throwing a terrified cat at someone would be classed as a biological weapon! :D OMG, too funny! :lol:

iFire
2004-Oct-28, 01:55 PM
Wow, thats hillarious... I want to see one actually in space though were it is constantly weightless... Reminds me of an earlier discussion somewhere on here about the cat... reaching several thousand rpms... vroom....

mickal555
2004-Oct-28, 02:05 PM
Wow, thats hillarious... I want to see one actually in space though were it is constantly weightless... Reminds me of an earlier discussion somewhere on here about the cat... reaching several thousand rpms... vroom....

Oh yeah.......We were disscusing what would happen if you relised a bird and a cat into the ISS........ what about a dog as well. Let the fur fly (literely).

zebo-the-fat
2004-Oct-28, 02:08 PM
It just set me thinking ..... Larry Nivens Kzin! :D

Spacewriter
2004-Oct-28, 02:12 PM
I guess I just don't find it very funny.

gethen
2004-Oct-28, 06:57 PM
I guess I just don't find it very funny.
I guess I don't get it either.

DrPostman
2004-Oct-29, 12:40 AM
I doubt we will see cats migrate into space
any time soon. Still, I bet they could adapt.
As far as I'm concerned cats have an amazing
ability to adapt to any situation.

iFire
2004-Oct-29, 12:55 AM
I doubt we will see cats migrate into space
any time soon. Still, I bet they could adapt.
As far as I'm concerned cats have an amazing
ability to adapt to any situation.

The first generation or two would still be fun to watch though..... :lol:

Wally
2004-Oct-29, 01:46 PM
. . . and I thought scotch taping their feet and putting them on a linoleum floor was funny!

/jk!!!! (I'd never do such a thing. . . really. . . . :P )

Does remind me of when I was a kid, and mom had just brought our cat back from getting fixed. When she opened the cage, he bolted out, tore thru the dining room, whipped around the wall to run upstairs and hide. Well, unfortunately, he was still a bit groggy from the drugs. Ended up taking the turn a bit wider than normal. Slammed right into the banister post! He sat for for a second, with a "what the heck" look on his face, then proceeded to run upstairs and hide.

Not a good day for him. . .

Tuckerfan
2004-Oct-29, 06:02 PM
. . . and I thought scotch taping their feet and putting them on a linoleum floor was funny! And I've heard, but have done no such thing, that if you tape pennies to their feet, and put them on a hard floor, they really go nuts!

CTM VT 2K
2004-Oct-29, 06:11 PM
So how do Mice react in free-fall? How would the classic Cat chasing a mouse play out under such circumstances?

Tuckerfan
2004-Oct-29, 06:14 PM
So how do Mice react in free-fall? How would the classic Cat chasing a mouse play out under such circumstances?I imagine like a 3-D Tom and Jerry cartoon.