PDA

View Full Version : Legally blind?

starcanuck64
2012-Nov-24, 07:20 PM
Worst eyesight contest.

Without glasses or contacts, who here has the worst eyesight?

Mine is 20/600.

Noclevername
2012-Nov-24, 08:02 PM
Mine was 20/840, until I had lens implants. Now it's corrected to 20/15.

starcanuck64
2012-Nov-24, 08:57 PM
Mine was 20/840, until I had lens implants. Now it's corrected to 20/15.

That must be nice, I should look into something like that.

jokergirl
2012-Nov-24, 09:01 PM
What's that in dioptries? I don't think we use the 20/X system here.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Nov-24, 09:03 PM
I don't know my prescription off-hand but it's pretty poor.

My girlfriend prior to Clare had no sight at all, although she could tell you where the sun was. Her best friend had her eyes removed when she was a baby.

starcanuck64
2012-Nov-24, 09:14 PM
I kind of assumed 20/600 would be one of the worst, forgetting that some people have no vision at all.

I helped a fellow with no eye sight the other day who was trying to re-configure the reading software on his laptop after his email provider changed their system. It's amazing the ability to adapt to disabilities we can develop.

cjl
2012-Nov-24, 10:26 PM
I don't know mine in that notation, but I'm at -5.5 diopters in one eye, and -5.75 diopters with 1.75 of astigmatism in the other.

Gillianren
2012-Nov-24, 10:42 PM
I had a friend growing up whose mom had no sight at all in one eye. The sight in one of my eyes is currently pretty bad, but while I can get a doctor's appointment with my insurance, it doesn't pay for glasses.

Trebuchet
2012-Nov-24, 11:58 PM
I was something like 20/400 or 20/800 in my right eye when I was younger. That lens was about twice as thick as the left, and I had to adjust the eyepiece on my binoculars by two diopters or so. Now that I'm old(er) and presbyopia has set in, things have changed. Both eyes are about the same and I barely need glasses at all. After nearly 50 years of driving, this is the first time I wouldn't feel too uncomfortable driving without glasses.

starcanuck64
2012-Nov-25, 08:35 PM
I wish my eyes had done that, now I just have a hard time reading things, it's time for bifocals when I can afford them.

Trebuchet
2012-Nov-26, 05:53 AM
I wish my eyes had done that, now I just have a hard time reading things, it's time for bifocals when I can afford them.

I've had multifocals for over 20 years now. After a bad experience with "bargain" ones, which my wife literally pulled off my face and took back to the store when she got tired of my complaining, I stick to the "Varilux" brand. It's "interesting" going down stairs the first time or two after you get them but adjustment is pretty quick.

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Nov-26, 12:14 PM
Well right now I am wearing glasses that need replacing because these were only might as backups and my other pair lost a lens last year and I can't find it. But my eyesight is that I am nearsighted slightly in one eye and far sighted in the other, can't remember the exact prescription. I have to wear glasses all the time or I get headaches because my brain tries to compensate.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Nov-26, 01:28 PM
Before my lasik I was about the same, near sighted in one eye and far sighted but with astigmatism in the other, but my brain had no trouble combining the images, with each eye dominant depending on distance and the other providing enough clues for 3D vision, so I've never used glasses.
The lasik adjusted the farsighted eye to normal without astigmatism, with the expectation that presbyopia will likely have the near sighted eye go out to about normal and the previously far sighted eye will go back to being a bit far sighted again, a situation my brain has already demonstrated it can deal with so the expectation is that I probably won't need glasses later either.

starcanuck64
2012-Nov-26, 09:22 PM
I've had multifocals for over 20 years now. After a bad experience with "bargain" ones, which my wife literally pulled off my face and took back to the store when she got tired of my complaining, I stick to the "Varilux" brand. It's "interesting" going down stairs the first time or two after you get them but adjustment is pretty quick.

Thanks, I'll look into them.

Getting my first glasses for nearsightedness when I was about 12 I found the experience strange for few days, everything seemed magnified until my brain got used to be able to see right again.

Fazor
2012-Nov-26, 09:23 PM
Mine was pretty bad prior to Lasik, but I'm not sure it approached even 20/600. Immediately after surgery, it was 20/15 or so, but I think it's slipped back from that a little bit since then (about 8 years ago.)

Donnie B.
2012-Nov-27, 03:27 AM
My correction is between -10 and -11 in both eyes. I have some astigmatism too, but it's a relatively minor effect at such high diopters.

There's no one-to-one correlation between acuity (measured by the Snellen number, e.g. 20/20) and refractive index; they aren't measuring the same thing. When you're as myopic as I am, an eye chart is pretty useless anyway. There are some tables that give approximate correspondences but most stop at diopters around -4 or so. I saw one such table that shows -10 dipoters as 20/1000, but again that's pretty meaningless.

My vision is such that I cannot get clear vision with both eyes at once (without correction). If I hold someting close enough to be in focus with one eye, it's too close to get the other eye on it, no matter how much I cross my eyes. On the other hand, I call my vision my "superpower", since I can get an almost microscope effect (well, at least a strong magnifying glass effect) by taking off my glasses and holding the object very close to my eye.

Siguy
2012-Nov-27, 02:21 PM
Without corrective lenses anything more than a foot away from me is blurry. Not sure how it would translate to 20/xx, but it's a prescription of something like -4.25 in one eye and -3.5 in the other (plus slight astigmatism correction. At least that's what my contacts specify.) I normally wear contacts, with which I see 20/15.

Trebuchet
2012-Nov-27, 03:32 PM
Without corrective lenses anything more than a foot away from me is blurry.

That was me until I hit about 45. Maybe not even a foot. Now I'm pretty good out to eight or ten feet.

Swift
2012-Nov-27, 04:13 PM
Getting my first glasses for nearsightedness when I was about 12 I found the experience strange for few days, everything seemed magnified until my brain got used to be able to see right again.
I've had glasses (for nearsightedness) since about the first or second grade (so about 6 or 7 years old). I have a very distinct memory of looking at the full moon for the first time with my glasses and thinking "OH! That's what they mean by the man-in-the-moon!".

I'm on my third perscription of progressive bifocals; I didn't have a real big problem adjusting to them.

Gillianren
2012-Nov-27, 06:25 PM
The funny thing is that they put my little sister in glasses when she was a kid because she couldn't read the blackboard. I hope my mom later went back and had a fit at the eye doctor, because it turned out the problem was that she's dyslexic. She's thirty-two now, and I'm pretty sure she still doesn't wear glasses.

starcanuck64
2012-Nov-27, 07:48 PM
I've had glasses (for nearsightedness) since about the first or second grade (so about 6 or 7 years old). I have a very distinct memory of looking at the full moon for the first time with my glasses and thinking "OH! That's what they mean by the man-in-the-moon!".

I'm on my third perscription of progressive bifocals; I didn't have a real big problem adjusting to them.

I noticed there was something wrong when I was about 11 and my night vision was a lot worse than my friends. We'd be playing baseball or football and at dusk I started getting hit by passes that I couldn't really see anymore.

It took another year of squinting at the blackboard in class before I was told I needed glasses.

swampyankee
2012-Nov-30, 05:57 PM
I noticed there was something wrong when I was about 11 and my night vision was a lot worse than my friends. We'd be playing baseball or football and at dusk I started getting hit by passes that I couldn't really see anymore.

It took another year of squinting at the blackboard in class before I was told I needed glasses.

I think I had my first eye exam when my parents had to take me to an ER because I had my face so close to paper I was cutting that I got poked in the eye by one of the scissors' blades. The eye was ok -- I didn't poke a hole into it -- but glasses came real soon, so I could actually see the lines on a piece of paper from farther than 3 in (7.5 cm).

starcanuck64
2012-Nov-30, 10:19 PM
I think I had my first eye exam when my parents had to take me to an ER because I had my face so close to paper I was cutting that I got poked in the eye by one of the scissors' blades. The eye was ok -- I didn't poke a hole into it -- but glasses came real soon, so I could actually see the lines on a piece of paper from farther than 3 in (7.5 cm).

Ouch.