PDA

View Full Version : Hurt my tongue during the eclipse...

Grizzly
2004-Oct-28, 02:40 PM
From biting it that is.

It was our Scout night and the watching the eclipse was a big part of the night's program.

When the parents arrived to pick up their children I got it in the neck from a concerned mother... we didn't have eye protection to view the eclipse.

*sigh*

Phil has more patience than I ever will, but I did manage to try to explain that there are no concerns with viewing a lunar eclipse, only to be told that there are "rays" that can fry your eyeballs.

*sigh* *sigh*

But this is the same woman who woke me up at our tent camp out this past weekend. She was traipsing around with a flashlight at 1:30 looking to see if her kid was alright. It WAS cold (-10c), but we WERE prepared, and there WERE cell phones. She didn't use them because she didn't want to "wake people up". So she drove for an hour and a half... to wake people up.

----
Lege et lacrima
Read it and weep

Laser Jock
2004-Oct-28, 03:43 PM
From biting it that is.

It was our Scout night and the watching the eclipse was a big part of the night's program.

When the parents arrived to pick up their children I got it in the neck from a concerned mother... we didn't have eye protection to view the eclipse.

*sigh*

Phil has more patience than I ever will, but I did manage to try to explain that there are no concerns with viewing a lunar eclipse, only to be told that there are "rays" that can fry your eyeballs.

*sigh* *sigh*

But this is the same woman who woke me up at our tent camp out this past weekend. She was traipsing around with a flashlight at 1:30 looking to see if her kid was alright. It WAS cold (-10c), but we WERE prepared, and there WERE cell phones. She didn't use them because she didn't want to "wake people up". So she drove for an hour and a half... to wake people up.

----
Lege et lacrima
Read it and weep

I'll I can say is:

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

zebo-the-fat
2004-Oct-28, 03:54 PM
Everybody knows that Moonbeams are deadly, especialy when they are dim during an eclipse :D

(Some people need common sense knocking into their heads with a large hammer!)

TriangleMan
2004-Oct-28, 04:00 PM
You mean I have to start wearing tinfoil during the night too?! #-o

Humphrey
2004-Oct-28, 04:31 PM
You mean I have to start wearing tinfoil during the night too?! #-o

No only when your brain is active and working.

George
2004-Oct-28, 06:16 PM
Grizzly, what a story. =D> Was the bite in the neck worse than the bite on your tongue? :)

cyswxman
2004-Oct-28, 06:28 PM
Yes, Grizzly. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
I have a similar problem, but with wind chill. :-?

Wally
2004-Oct-28, 07:40 PM
Not sure which I find scarier. . . Her misconceptions about lunar eclipses, or the fact that she's such an overprotective parent!

I feel for that boy as he attempts to cut them apron strings in later years!!! :roll:

Grizzly
2004-Oct-28, 08:16 PM
He is blissfully unaware of it... I think...

He's a neat kid, quiet but not retiring. Intelligent and eloquent. I'm hoping that he's taking after his Dad...

Obviously she has some problems, and I am sensitive to them. I hope for her (and his) sake that she's seeing someone!

He's quite witty actually. On their registration form she had marked "Wiccan" under Religious Affiliation. He had crossed that out and put "Reformed Druid". When asked about it, he said "I don't go in for the sacrificial offering part, but I like trees." He was kidding. Not bad for a 12 year-old.

----
Maxima debetur puero reverentia
We owe the greatest respect to a child

paulie jay
2004-Oct-28, 11:12 PM
Well I don't know, but every time I try using the "pinprick through the cardboard" method of viewing a lunar eclipse I have a hard time seeing anything...

...especially through that welder's mask I'm wearing...

:)

iFire
2004-Oct-29, 01:09 AM
That is the kinda situation I would just laugh and walk away... but of course I am sixteen and less aware of the consequences of my actions... :P

*reads it again*

Dang... and I always thought my mom was overprotective.... #-o

Tau
2004-Oct-29, 04:37 AM
Believe it or not, I once had to explain why lunar eclipses are harmless to the naked eye. After a lengthy lecture on the essential differences between them and solar eclipses, I concluded that there's no possibility of lunar eclipses burning the retina.

Her response was, "Prove it!"

#-o

Maksutov
2004-Oct-29, 04:42 AM
Your Scout's mother's sister apparently lives somewhere nearby.

I was walking across the parking lot of a shopping center tonight. I had noticed that the day-after-full Moon, which was just rising, was a beautiful sight and very yellowish.

A mother and son were walking toward me. As they approached, the young boy said, "Wow, look at how yellow the Moon is! Why is it so yellow, Mom?"

They passed by.

As they walked away from me, the mother said, "That's because of the eclipse."

Her son replied, "Oh."

:roll:

Captain Kidd
2004-Oct-29, 11:08 AM
He's quite witty actually. On their registration form she had marked "Wiccan" under Religious Affiliation. He had crossed that out and put "Reformed Druid". When asked about it, he said "I don't go in for the sacrificial offering part, but I like trees." He was kidding. Not bad for a 12 year-old.He's also a M*A*S*H fan apparently. Cpt. Jonathan S. Tuttle, Driud, Reformed ("Ah, a tree surgeon...", "They are allowed to pray at bushes")

Eroica
2004-Oct-29, 04:47 PM
Hurt my tongue during the eclipse...
Shouldn't that be:

Hurd by tugg durig the eclipth... :D ?

Grizzly
2004-Oct-29, 08:55 PM
He's quite witty actually. On their registration form she had marked "Wiccan" under Religious Affiliation. He had crossed that out and put "Reformed Druid". When asked about it, he said "I don't go in for the sacrificial offering part, but I like trees." He was kidding. Not bad for a 12 year-old.He's also a M*A*S*H fan apparently. Cpt. Jonathan S. Tuttle, Driud, Reformed ("Ah, a tree surgeon...", "They are allowed to pray at bushes")

Hmmm. He also quotes Pyton at me sotto voce. He apparently has developed a decent sense of humour, perhaps as a defense mechanism.

----
Oblitus sum perpolire clepsydras!
I forgot to polish the clocks!

NASA Fan
2004-Oct-30, 10:55 PM
I think that I may have figured out why the moon can be dangerous. I was listening to some of my co-workers talking about a movie, I think it was, Dawn of the Dead. In the movie some zombies are created/brought to life (or what ever happens to them) from radiation from the full moon.

I had to wonder how many people see that kind of garbage (the concept of lunar radiation) and think that it is real.

dgruss23
2004-Oct-30, 11:40 PM
From biting it that is.

*sigh*

Fun ways you could have responded to this one:

"I'm sorry. Who are you? Where are you? For some reason I'm having trouble seeing. "

"Oh, haven't you heard? NASA has put up a new satellite that filters the light from the eclipse so that it is safe to view. Way to go NASA - they think of public health too."

Or you could just whip out your solar filter put it on the scope, pretend to take a look (which will show absolutely nothing) and then say:

"I am so sorry. I can't believe I forgot the safety filter. Wow! You should see the eclipse now!!! Amazing!!! Here ... take a look. It's much better. "

Then pretend to be shocked when she can't see anything. "Very strange. Let me check again... No its right there clear as a bell. Well it takes a little experience."