PDA

View Full Version : BAL of a teetotler

Tom Mazanec
2012-Nov-27, 05:03 PM
I once read that everybody has a little alcohol in the blood, as a result of biochemical metabolism. So what is the Blood Alcohol Level of someone who never drinks alcohol? One ppm, perhaps?

NEOWatcher
2012-Nov-27, 06:30 PM
It's actually BAC (blood alcohol content).
The level could be as high as legally drunk (from various sources I found), although it's usually 0.004% according to this (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2677/designated-drunk).

Jens
2012-Nov-28, 12:05 AM
Not only because of biochemical metabolism. There is also a small amount of alcohol in fruits and fruit juice, so I would think you would get a tiny bit out of that as well.

Nowhere Man
2012-Nov-28, 12:28 AM
Long ago I read about a poor sap in Japan who, though he swore he never drank, was constantly being arrested for drunkenness. His BAC showed that there was indeed ethanol in his system.

Turns out he had some kind of yeast infection which was producing the ethanol...

Fred

Glom
2012-Nov-28, 09:29 PM
Not only because of biochemical metabolism. There is also a small amount of alcohol in fruits and fruit juice, so I would think you would get a tiny bit out of that as well.

Yeah. Some of the fruit juice I buy has quite a bit of it. I think the manufacturer left the fruit sitting in a vat too long. Seems particularly common in the juice from Chile. ;)

Antice
2012-Nov-29, 04:52 AM
Yeah. Some of the fruit juice I buy has quite a bit of it. I think the manufacturer left the fruit sitting in a vat too long. Seems particularly common in the juice from Chile. ;)

I know a couple of brands of Norwegian apple juice that has been sitting in a vat for quite a while too. It's really delicious tho. :D

Jens
2012-Nov-29, 06:29 AM
I know a couple of brands of Norwegian apple juice that has been sitting in a vat for quite a while too. It's really delicious tho. :D

That kind of apple juice used to be very popular in the US as well. One of our presidents (John Adams) used to drink it for breakfast. :)

swampyankee
2012-Dec-01, 02:34 PM
Back in the day (which was only about 20 years ago ;)), one could buy some good, fresh cider and let it sit for a while until it became just a bit hard...yummy.

Can't do it anymore. Pasteurization.