PDA

View Full Version : Computer Prob PART II

Monoxide Child
2004-Oct-29, 03:40 AM
Ok, I contacted tech support..

This issue may be due to incorrect power management settings and I would suggest you make sure these settings are correct. These settings determine when and how the computer will turn off and on. First, you would want to disable the power management in the BIOS. If you have a different version of BIOS other than Phoenix then the BIOS step will not be needed.

To do this you would:

Hold down the Delete key when you first turn the computer on

Phoenix BIOS:

1) Arrow (using the right arrow key on your keyboard) over to Power.
2) Arrow (using the down arrow key on your keyboard) down to APM or ACPI and tap the "+" or "-" key until it changes to disabled. It may say Yes or No instead of disabled.
3) Press the F10 key.
4) Select "Y" for yes to 'Exit Saving Changes'.

Ok, well, I entered phoenix BIOS, and I searched through all the menus repeatedly, but could not find anything that related to "APM" or "ACPI"... so how do I go about disabling one of these?

:-?

Monoxide Child
2004-Oct-29, 06:07 AM
Really? No one has a clue?

dvb
2004-Oct-29, 11:36 AM
It's quite possible that the BIOS that your computer comes with does not have power management options in it, even though the tech support may say otherwise.

Try going to the eMachines website and download the latest BIOS. A new BIOS will often have new features that aren't included in previous versions. Worth a try anyways.

Wally
2004-Oct-29, 12:34 PM
Mono. Check out this (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=351676#351676) thread. I'm having problems with my USB ports, and was given a command to display/modify power options. Just a shot in the dark, but maybe you'll find something to help.

2004-Oct-29, 04:47 PM
Power management should NOT cause the system to spontaneously reboot anyways. Especially when the system is under load like when you're playing a game. Turn off, maybe, but not reboot.

Something else you may want to try is swap out the video card. Sometimes a bad video card can cause reboots.

Tranquility
2004-Oct-29, 04:57 PM
Actually a bad or insufficient power supply CAN cause a system to reboot. It's a main cause of system instability, and I've seen a friend's system reboot while performing normal apps because he tried to use a 9800 Pro inside a system with I think 220W PSU.

2004-Oct-29, 06:49 PM
Actually a bad or insufficient power supply CAN cause a system to reboot. It's a main cause of system instability, and I've seen a friend's system reboot while performing normal apps because he tried to use a 9800 Pro inside a system with I think 220W PSU.

Which I suggested in the old thread. I just added the video card as another possible hardware cause.

Madcat
2004-Oct-29, 06:57 PM
I haven't read the other thread, so this may have been addressed already, but I've had bad problems with DDR ram. If you're using DDR and you have a few spare chips, you might try swapping out the modules. Sometimes they cause funny things to happen. I can't elaborate because the funny things are -really- funny, by which I mean unpredictable and strange. :x

Robert Andersson
2004-Oct-29, 10:54 PM
In my experience, unless you are extremely lucky, tech "support" people is generally utterly incompetent.

Someone: Hi, I have [insery favorite problem].
Tech support: Have you tried rebooting Windows?
Someone: I'm running Linux.
Tech support: Oh, that's your problem, isn't that a virus or something?

Sorry, I'm on rant mode...

2004-Nov-01, 06:08 PM
In my experience, unless you are extremely lucky, tech "support" people is generally utterly incompetent.

Someone: Hi, I have [insery favorite problem].
Tech support: Have you tried rebooting Windows?
Someone: I'm running Linux.
Tech support: Oh, that's your problem, isn't that a virus or something?

Sorry, I'm on rant mode...

*ahem* I find that remark somewhat offensive personally. At least you didn't say all.

Robert Andersson
2004-Nov-01, 10:00 PM
*ahem* I find that remark somewhat offensive personally. At least you didn't say all.
Yeah, sorry, I'm kind of a tech support guy myself sometimes. The rant just reflected my personal experience when I've had contact with such services. I don't think I ever have talked to someone who actually had a clue about computers, instead of just blindly following some protocol. Sorry again.

2004-Nov-02, 05:31 AM
Yeah, sorry, I'm kind of a tech support guy myself sometimes. The rant just reflected my personal experience when I've had contact with such services. I don't think I ever have talked to someone who actually had a clue about computers, instead of just blindly following some protocol. Sorry again.

Nah, it's all right. In all honesty, I'd have to tend to agree with you. I was just in a bit of a peevish mood when I posted that. Customers were getting to me.