PDA

View Full Version : What was I looking at in the sky

Sticks
2012-Nov-28, 08:55 PM
I thought this might be a good thread to record observations, so others can say what we may have seen in the night sky.

This is mine

Tonight on my way home, very close to the Moon in the 5 o'clock position was a point of light. Just under the nine o'clock position was an even brighter point of light, and then at some distance at the ten o'clock position another point of light that was slightly fainter.

Were any of these planets, if so which?

Swift
2012-Nov-28, 09:09 PM
I think this thread (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php/139477-Jupiter-Full-Moon-Aldebaran-Short-Straight-Line-Nov-28) (and the link within it) has your answer. (Aldebaran and Jupiter)

trinitree88
2012-Nov-29, 04:58 PM
I think this thread (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php/139477-Jupiter-Full-Moon-Aldebaran-Short-Straight-Line-Nov-28) (and the link within it) has your answer. (Aldebaran and Jupiter)

Sticks. Yep...and when you first start looking at the sky, atmospheric turbulence usually causes density gradients which in turn cause refractive indices to vary....so a star will shift and "twinkle"....but a planet with a disk, will stay pretty steady as you view it, helping to distinguish the two. (stars being light years away,... to the eye they are point sources). pete

Sticks
2012-Nov-30, 05:45 AM
Thanks for those answers - it is a shame I do not have access to a reliable scope. Am even having problems with my main camera phone not connecting with the computer, more of that later :-(

trinitree88
2012-Nov-30, 12:22 PM
Thanks for those answers - it is a shame I do not have access to a reliable scope. Am even having problems with my main camera phone not connecting with the computer, more of that later :-(

You're welcome. Venus is the third brightest object after the sun and moon, and can't be more rthan ~28 degrees away from the sun...so it's brilliant and easy. After a while you'll recognize Jupiter as kind of cream colored/ivory. Saturn is more distinctly yellowish, and Mars reddish. Takes a while, but becomes like recognizing a new neighborhood. pete