PDA

View Full Version : NEO Apophis 0.1 AU Passage in January

Centaur
2012-Nov-29, 09:55 PM
NEO Asteroid 99942 Apophis caused a stir eight years ago when it was calculated that it would make close passes by the Earth in 2029 and 2036, and possibly collide. It has since been determined that a collision in 2029 is not possible, and one in 2036 is given only a 1/250,000 likelihood.

Meanwhile the approximately 270-meter wide asteroid is predicted to pass less than 0.1 AU from the Earth on 2013 JAN 09. Greatest brilliance for this apparition at magnitude +16.1 is expected on JAN 20.

Iíve created three preview graphics with data related to the January apparition of Apophis. They can be seen on my asteroids webpage at: www.CurtRenz.com/asteroids

Photos and descriptions of Apophis would be welcome additions to this thread.

Centaur
2013-Jan-09, 07:59 PM
Today Apophis made its closest approach to Earth for its current apparition at less than 0.1 AU.

Also today the European Space Agency announced that data from its infrared space telescope indicates that the diameter of Apophis is closer to 325 meters rather than the previous estimate of 270 meters.

Meanwhile, I’ve improved my related graphics for this asteroid and other minor bodies to make it clearer when they are north or south of the ecliptic plane: www.CurtRenz.com/asteroids and www.CurtRenz.com/comets

Buttercup
2013-Jan-10, 01:57 PM
Yeah...where's the news on this? :confused:

Even spaceweather.com has *nothing* (that I see) pertaining to last night's flyby.

Twitter science sources have very few mentions.

What gives?

Centaur
2013-Jan-10, 06:57 PM
Yeah...where's the news on this? :confused:

Even spaceweather.com has *nothing* (that I see) pertaining to last night's flyby.

Twitter science sources have very few mentions.

What gives?

Space.com had an article yesterday that was repeated on a number of other websites and some TV stations: http://www.space.com/19193-asteroid-apophis-bigger-live-webcasts.html . Although as usual space.com became hyperbolic and referred to a small asteroid as huge. Of course I provided a heads-up on November 29th when I initiated this thread.

Keep in mind that Apophis passed Earth yesterday by 0.1 AU or about 15 million kilometers. That's nearly 40 times the distance to the Moon and quite safe. That passage was anticipated and well understood a number of years ago. Apophis created quite a stir in the news in 2004 when a collision in 2029 was deemed possible. That has since been determined as impossible. Iíve had related charts on my website for several months. However yesterdayís approach was close enough for ESA to determine with its space telescope that Apophis is a little larger than previous estimates. Itís not until 2029 and 2036 that itís expected to come really close. It is certain to miss Earth in 2029, but it will come close enough for the effects of Earthís gravitation to create a slight uncertainty in the asteroid's future orbit. For that reason there has been given a 1/250,000 probability of it striking Earth in 2036. We'll have a better determination after the 2029 passage.

Swift
2013-Jan-24, 01:56 PM
Spaceboy0's post has been moved to this thread (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php/141452-NEO-Apophis-CT).