PDA

View Full Version : defragmenting your computer

dgruss23
2004-Oct-30, 05:55 PM
This morning I spent several hours cleaning up my hard drive as it seemed my computer was running slow. In the process of deleting files I went into my kids folder and found they had saved about 1500 images from the web of horses and chickens mostly!!! :o :evil: ](*,) :lol: What they thought they were going to do with these should be an interesting discussion. :lol:

Anyway, I tried something a co-worker told me about that I've never done before "defrag the hard drive". Windows has a function that sorts files and realigns them to clean up and consolidate the hard drive space. Some files are split into several locations on the hard drive and the defragment program fixes that and consolidates the files.

Anyway, it took the program about 45 minutes or more to complete the job ... but things seem to be running faster.

Added:
Oh yeah ... if you just go into the search mode and type "defrag" windows will take you through it.

Humphrey
2004-Oct-30, 05:56 PM
Horses and chickens? :o

dgruss23
2004-Oct-30, 05:58 PM
Horses and chickens? :o

Yes, apparently the 2 horses in our barn aren't enough for them! I'm thinking if they have time enough to save 1500 images, they have time to muck out the stalls! :wink:

Humphrey
2004-Oct-30, 06:02 PM
hehehe..... :lol: :lol:

Maybe they are giving you a hint at what they want for their Birthday. :-)

dgruss23
2004-Oct-30, 06:10 PM

You have no idea ... There is this thing about the XX chromosome combination and horses. My wife loves horses ... has three ... although in theory one of them is mine. I have 4 daughters and they are nuts about horses. Books, toys, pretend games ... horses ... horses ... horses.

Well, its better now than when they're teenagers ... boys ... boys ... boys.

If I had a dime for every time someone has told me I'll need to get a shotgun when they're teenagers. :roll: :o

Tranquility
2004-Oct-30, 06:12 PM
When you save files in Windows the files are saved as chunks in different locations on the hard disk. The files are fragmented because fragments of the file are saved in different places. As more and more files become fragmented, the hard drive "heads" have to move a greater amount to find the files, but when the hard drive is defragmented, these fragments are moved closer together which makes file access time quicker, which is why defragmenting a greatly fragmented hard drive can lead sometimes to noticeable improvements in performance.

Gullible Jones
2004-Oct-30, 07:16 PM
A little hint, dgruss23: only use the shotgun when necessary, e.g. when they fall for some huge, stupid, sadistic [BLEEP]... ;)

Humphrey
2004-Oct-30, 07:16 PM

You have no idea ... There is this thing about the XX chromosome combination and horses. My wife loves horses ... has three ... although in theory one of them is mine. I have 4 daughters and they are nuts about horses. Books, toys, pretend games ... horses ... horses ... horses.

Well, its better now than when they're teenagers ... boys ... boys ... boys.

If I had a dime for every time someone has told me I'll need to get a shotgun when they're teenagers. :roll: :o

Don't get a shotgun, that could lead to jail time. Just have every boyfriend have a hour long interview with you. Take them into a dark room with a spotlight and tie them up. Put electrodes on their writ=sts and hook it up to a printer orsome other electronic gadget. Then pretend its a turth machine and have fun with him :-).

SKY
2004-Oct-30, 08:38 PM
Put electrodes on their writ=sts and hook it up to a printer orsome other electronic gadget. Then pretend its a turth machine and have fun with him :-).

And have it print "LIAR" everytime they answer a question.

:o Just remember to remain calm.

:D

Gullible Jones
2004-Oct-30, 08:44 PM
I dunno about the shotgun... I have met way too many fathers who are all too eager to murder anyone outside their family who dares to talk to their children. I understand the instinct to protect one's family, but it should not be carried to the extent of insanity.

electromagneticpulse
2004-Oct-30, 08:44 PM
A little hint, dgruss23: only use the shotgun when necessary, e.g. when they fall for some huge, stupid, sadistic [BLEEP]... ;)

Hahaha well thats probably going to be all the time remember teenage girls (and boys more so) lack the thing called common sense. I was luckily gifted with it and have managed to avoid any form of relationship...

... im not sure if thats good or bad :lol:

Normaly kids want to go out with people to annoy their parents, once they realise their only dating jerks they straighten out... and then dgruss23 you'll get to have the real fun.

AliCali
2004-Oct-30, 10:04 PM
You could also take a cue from the movie "Clueless":

Father telling his daughter's date: "Anything happens to my daughter, I've got a .45 and a shovel. I doubt very much that you'll be missed."

Gullible Jones
2004-Oct-30, 10:10 PM
Usually, "anything happens to my daughter" includes "saying hello to someone". Parents should be a hell of a lot less paranoid - not all boys are violent, sadistic dolts, and not all girls are greedy, twisted - well, you get the idea. Generally, though, being ultraparanoid like that is either a symptom of living in a bad neighborhood (in which case it is quite justifiable) or of being a redneck (in which case it is not justifiable at all).

dvb
2004-Oct-30, 10:14 PM
It really amazes me sometimes how we can go from talking about computer hard drives, to shooting teenage boys in less than 1 page. :P

Humphrey
2004-Oct-30, 10:27 PM
It really amazes me sometimes how we can go from talking about computer hard drives, to shooting teenage boys in less than 1 page. :PIn 6 posts too! :-D

dgruss23
2004-Oct-30, 11:25 PM
You could also take a cue from the movie "Clueless":

Father telling his daughter's date: "Anything happens to my daughter, I've got a .45 and a shovel. I doubt very much that you'll be missed."

I also liked the routine Will Smith and Martin Lawrence pulled in Bad Boys II when the young man showed up to take out the daughter.

Well, I'm not really planning on sporting a shotgun for meet the boyfriend night ... but I suppose that's easy to say right now! :)

dgruss23
2004-Oct-30, 11:26 PM
It really amazes me sometimes how we can go from talking about computer hard drives, to shooting teenage boys in less than 1 page. :PIn 6 posts too! :-D

Wait ... this thread was about computer hard drives? Who started this anywa ... oh

Moose
2004-Oct-30, 11:36 PM

... You could no doubt use the proceeds to buy them each a horse with enough left over for the shotgun. Am I right?

dgruss23
2004-Oct-30, 11:45 PM

... You could no doubt use the proceeds to buy them each a horse with enough left over for the shotgun. Am I right?

:lol: You're bang on the money!

The shotgun statement is almost as annoying as the "So you gonna try for a son?" or the people who responded to our 3rd child being a daughter with "Aw ... that's too bad!"

Honestly, by the time we had our 4th - which we knew would be our last - I was praying for another daughter. The last thing I wanted to hear the rest of my life was - "Wow - you tried until you got your son!" #-o

Candy
2004-Oct-31, 12:59 AM

Wait ... this thread was about computer hard drives? Who started this anywa ... oh Finally, I see a thread about something I know. :D

Only to read it, and find out I don't know anything about it (person with no desire to have children). :wink:

Candy
2004-Oct-31, 01:04 AM
Parents should be a hell of a lot less paranoid - not all boys are violent, sadistic dolts... EXCUSE ME? (http://loresinger.com/FWIS/viewtopic.php?t=862&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=a sc&highlight=) :lol:

Gullible Jones
2004-Oct-31, 01:16 AM
Me?

Violent? If someone really ticks me off, I've had a general bad day, and the universe seems to have been going completely against em for the past few weeks.

Dolt? When I do something stupid, yes.

Sadistic? HELL NO!!! :evil:

And I'm talking about all male members of this species who do not fall into the above categories under most situations, as opposed to myself specifically.

Oh BTW, have you ever heard of the pot calling the kettle black? :evil:

electromagneticpulse
2004-Oct-31, 02:28 AM
and not all girls are greedy, twisted - well, you get the idea.

I think there was meant to be a '...' after twisted, maybe i just carryed it on from personal experiance #-o

Oh BTW, have you ever heard of the pot calling the kettle black? :evil:

Yes i think it went along the lines of:
"hey kettle your black" said the pot. :D

And I'm talking about all male members of this species who do not fall into the above categories under most situations, as opposed to myself specifically.

So you to a swing at some degenerate doesn't make you violent or sadistic. If you was the afformentioned degenerate then you would probably be both. Plus the breaking of the bone brings up the point that you probably haven't been in that many fights.

note to all parents: keep your daughters away from GJ :wink: :P

Gullible Jones
2004-Oct-31, 04:21 AM
Bloody wonderful. I hope my GF's parents aren't reading that, EMP... Now pardon me while I start up my data recovery software. I just might be able to dig up an old virus or two for you... :P

Candy
2004-Oct-31, 04:25 AM
Bloody wonderful. I hope my GF's parents aren't reading that, EMP... Now pardon me while I start up my data recovery software. I just might be able to dig up an old virus or two for you... :P Girlfriend? I knew you had a new friend, but I didn't realize she was your girlfriend. :D

Gullible Jones
2004-Oct-31, 04:26 AM
No, different person.

mickal555
2004-Oct-31, 06:25 AM
I know this has got nothing to do with this thread :wink: but I just defraged my comp took ages though

SKY
2004-Oct-31, 07:03 AM
I know this has got nothing to do with this thread :wink: but I just defraged my comp took ages though

Actually, I think it has everything to do with the thread...the discussion just got side tracked, that's all. :D

Maksutov
2004-Oct-31, 10:17 AM
This morning I spent several hours cleaning up my hard drive as it seemed my computer was running slow. In the process of deleting files I went into my kids folder and found they had saved about 1500 images from the web of horses and chickens mostly!!! :o :evil: ](*,) :lol: What they thought they were going to do with these should be an interesting discussion. :lol:

Anyway, I tried something a co-worker told me about that I've never done before "defrag the hard drive". Windows has a function that sorts files and realigns them to clean up and consolidate the hard drive space. Some files are split into several locations on the hard drive and the defragment program fixes that and consolidates the files.

Anyway, it took the program about 45 minutes or more to complete the job ... but things seem to be running faster.

Added:
Oh yeah ... if you just go into the search mode and type "defrag" windows will take you through it.
dgruss23,

Your post resulted in one of the most fragmented threads yet.

Good thing your board name isn't "degauss"!

2004-Oct-31, 10:28 AM
The first time I defragged my hard drive, it took about six hours; ever since then, I've done it [Defragged my hard drive, that is.] once a week! :roll: :lol:

mickal555
2004-Oct-31, 10:31 AM
Same exept it took 16 hours (we left it over night and it was still going)

2004-Oct-31, 10:36 AM
Was yours full-up with nefarious various Ad-ware too?? I must have had a thousand cookies in it... :evil:

Maksutov
2004-Oct-31, 10:36 AM
Interesting.

I defragged my main hard drive (120GB) last week. It took about 50 minutes.

Are you guys defragging from within Windows normal mode?

:-k

Candy
2004-Oct-31, 10:41 AM
Start
Programs
Accessories
System Tools
Disk Defragmenter
8-[

[Edit: Am I doing it wrong? It takes under an hour for me, as well.]

2004-Oct-31, 10:49 AM
Same as you Candy...takes about 10 minutes...One advantage of having a small one, eh? :D

frogesque
2004-Oct-31, 11:01 AM
Maksutov dropped a heavy hint there, defragging in Safe Mode (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406) is a lot quicker.

Candy
2004-Oct-31, 11:38 AM
Maksutov dropped a heavy hint there, defragging in Safe Mode (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406) is a lot quicker. Safe Mode scares me for some reason. :oops:

Robert Andersson
2004-Oct-31, 12:30 PM
I defragged my main hard drive (120GB) last week. It took about 50 minutes.

Are you guys defragging from within Windows normal mode?
Older versions of Windows takes forever to defrag because it needs to start all over everytime a file changes (which happens a lot). Windows 2k and XP are a bit smarter, and the defrag operation is not disturbed like that. Using Ext3 filesystem (Linux), I don't have to defrag :).

mickal555
2004-Oct-31, 12:39 PM
I got a petiam 3 windows xp it's very clean now and oly takes 30 minets to defrag

dgruss23
2004-Oct-31, 02:07 PM

:o Just remember to remain calm.

:D

Brilliant advice! :D I'll have to remember that one! :wink:

dgruss23
2004-Oct-31, 02:09 PM

Added:
dgruss23,

Your post resulted in one of the most fragmented threads yet.

Good thing your board name isn't "degauss"!

:D Only on BABB!

dgruss23
2004-Oct-31, 02:13 PM

Really now ... There you go hijacking this thread to talk about hard drives! What's that all about? :D

dgruss23
2004-Oct-31, 02:14 PM
The first time I defragged my hard drive, it took about six hours; ever since then, I've done it [Defragged my hard drive, that is.] once a week! :roll: :lol:

I think the windows help program even says it should be checked every week.

Gullible Jones
2004-Oct-31, 03:51 PM
You can get the much, much faster Windows ME defrag utility at www.wilders.org, in the "Downloads" section. Not sure it works in Windows NT, 2000, XP, or 2003, but it sure works on 98/98SE... It shortened my defrag times from 3 hours to 5 minutes. That's for a tiny little 6-gig hard drive, though.

BTW, guys, do MacOS or Linux/BSD require or benefit from any sort of defragmentation? If they do, I certaintly haven't heard of it...

dvb
2004-Oct-31, 04:07 PM
You can get the much, much faster Windows ME defrag utility at www.wilders.org, in the "Downloads" section. Not sure it works in Windows NT, 2000, XP, or 2003, but it sure works on 98/98SE... It shortened my defrag times from 3 hours to 5 minutes. That's for a tiny little 6-gig hard drive, though.

BTW, guys, do MacOS or Linux/BSD require or benefit from any sort of defragmentation? If they do, I certaintly haven't heard of it...

As Robert Andersson mentioned, ext3 filesystems don't need to be defragged, and I believe this is also the case with ext2 although I'd have to check to be sure.

OS X for the Mac uses the HFS+ filesystem, and does not require defragmenting either.

Reiserfs which is the default filesystem for freebsd, and a number of linux distros doesn't appear to need defragging either.

This is all just info I've pulled from the web. I've only heard of maybe 1 or 2 defragging programs for ext2, and from what I've heard, it may not be the safest defragging tool to use. The same has been said for the reiserfs defragger.

Gullible Jones
2004-Oct-31, 04:49 PM
D'oh, should have checked previous posts. #-o

Thanks for the info, but when I said "MacOS", I meant pre-OS X. OS X is completely different from the original MacOS - it is UNIX-based, uses a different interface, is multi-user, etc.

(Yes, some people still run MacOS 9.x - my dad actually runs 8.6 on his G3 box. Unlike Win95/98/ME, though, nobody seems to right software for old versions of MacOS...)

Robert Andersson
2004-Oct-31, 05:26 PM
As Robert Andersson mentioned, ext3 filesystems don't need to be defragged, and I believe this is also the case with ext2 although I'd have to check to be sure.
Ext2 and Ext3 are almost identical, except the latter supports journalling. They do typically not require defragmentation because, one could say, that they are defragging on-the-fly. Or, rather the way they allocate sectors doesn't make the drive fragmented to the extent other filesystems do. I think there are defrag utils for Ext2 & 3, but you typically don't need them.

electromagneticpulse
2004-Oct-31, 06:17 PM
Bloody wonderful. I hope my GF's parents aren't reading that, EMP... Now pardon me while I start up my data recovery software. I just might be able to dig up an old virus or two for you... :P
Oh so your the reason i've had a sudden influx of trojan attacks :D

Really now ... There you go hijacking this thread to talk about hard drives! What's that all about? :D
This kinda thing always happens. Your right in the middle of talking about shooting teenage boys and someone comes along talking about hard drives... no respect for the flow of the thread :evil: :lol:

Well as the flow of the thread has gone to HDD's my 120gb got due for a defrag last night so i set it going at about 3am and the time index for it finishing was 1pm but i read it at 12 noon. Always nice when things get done early :D

Vanion
2004-Nov-22, 11:18 PM
degruss23,

Instead of shotguns, or interrogations, why not go the other route?

What would be worse, one or several boyfriends?

In the latter, one she might not become particularly attached to any in particular--as well as be able to "comparision shop" or drop the pursuit altogether in boredom.

:D :D :D

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Nov-23, 12:55 AM
When defragging, set the screen saver to NONE -- that way, you don't get a defrag restart when the screen saver kicks in. This is not necessarily a problem post-Win2K, but it doesn't hurt either. Pre-Win2k, it's a necessity.

Spyware programs (Ad-Aware, Spybot and the like) and virus protection software whould be run on a regular basis, and updated before each and every running.

Suggested order (aka, this is what works for me here at The Computer Help Desk At The Major Midwestern Metropolitan College Of Higher Knowledge) :

Dump the cookies
Dump the Temporary Internet Files
Spyware programs
Virus scan
Defrag

This way, you won't be saving a whole bunch of temporary files and malware and other stuff you don't really need.

R.A.F.
2004-Nov-23, 02:10 AM
Suggested order:
Dump the cookies
Dump the Temporary Internet Files
Spyware programs
Virus scan
Defrag

Now he tells me. :)

Well, I'm all defragmented, and it only took about 2 1/2 hours. (I haven't done it since getting my computer about 6? months ago)...I guess it really needed it.

Now all that bad red is gone, replaced by a lovely shade of blue. :)

SpaceTrekkie
2004-Nov-23, 02:17 AM
Hmmm...my computre says there is not enough disk space to run a defrag #-o
Guess i should delete some old stuff.

R.A.F.
2004-Nov-23, 02:29 AM
So I tried looking up some files...to see if it's any faster
...and HOLY COW...things appear instantly now, before, I had to wait for stuff to load...this is GREAT!!

Thanks, Dgruss, for starting this thread. Who knows how long it would have been before I would have gotten around to doing it...if I hadn't been prompted by this thread.

Sever
2004-Nov-23, 02:35 AM
I'll have to defrag sometime.
(Just reformatted yesterday).

dgruss23
2004-Dec-06, 12:36 AM
So I tried looking up some files...to see if it's any faster
...and HOLY COW...things appear instantly now, before, I had to wait for stuff to load...this is GREAT!!

Thanks, Dgruss, for starting this thread. Who knows how long it would have been before I would have gotten around to doing it...if I hadn't been prompted by this thread.

I forgot about this thread.

Your welcome R.A.F. Glad someone found it useful! :)

Wally
2004-Dec-06, 05:40 PM
I'll have to defrag sometime.
(Just reformatted yesterday).

If you just reformatted, you should have no need to defrag, right? (or are you saying this tongue-in-cheek?).