PDA

View Full Version : Robots rule the galaxy!

Gomar
2012-Dec-04, 07:08 PM
http://news.discovery.com/space/do-robots-rule-the-galaxy-121201.html

How did anyone here miss this bit of news?!
Aha! Well, there you have an explanation as to why Earth has not been visited by living
alien beings.

TooMany
2012-Dec-04, 10:21 PM
Yep, that's my theory. Some people will get whipped up into suspecting a Terminator scenario where the robots kill off humans. If you give that some thought, I think you will find it a very unlikely outcome. It's going to take much time and nurturing by us organic units to create artificial intelligence. In the process we will instill the goals into the hardware. It is not likely to go berzerk any more so than humanity as a whole.

Asimov's ideas are more realistic. He proposed rules for the robots. I read several of his books many years ago, but I don't recall one like the I-Robot movie where they all set out to subjugate humanity.

Nowhere Man
2012-Dec-05, 12:29 AM
That's because he didn't write one like that. I, Robot the movie has nothing to do with I, Robot the book except a few of the same names.

Fred

JustAFriend
2012-Dec-05, 12:41 AM
As Futurama pointed out, they'd keep us around for our ability to produce precious lug nuts....

;-)

neilzero
2012-Dec-05, 02:13 AM
If my Comcast internet connection is an example of robot sanity, future robots maybe hazardous to humans maliciously or unintended. Neil

tnjrp
2012-Dec-05, 06:11 AM
How did anyone here miss this bit of news?!One reason I can think of for why it wasn't brought up is because, aside of the fact that some concerned people hope an actual University will give them money to write about it, there is nothing particularly new about the subject itself.

Even as a suggested solution to the Fermi paradox, it's a bit of an old hat. Here's the latest scientific (well, maybe not to everyone here) paper touching the subject I've come accross:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.0953

TooMany
2012-Dec-05, 07:13 AM
Even as a suggested solution to the Fermi paradox, it's a bit of an old hat. Here's the latest scientific (well, maybe not to everyone here) paper touching the subject I've come accross:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.0953

Is this the argument that there is nothing new under the Sun (including that argument itself)? Or perhaps that because it's "old hat" (not novel), it is a superfluous argument already dismissed?

Many people have surely thought about this before, but sometimes you get the impression that most people have not (based on their difficulty with explaining the Fermi paradox and their conclusion that alien life with interstellar capability does not exist).

tnjrp
2012-Dec-05, 07:38 AM
Is this the argument that there is nothing new under the Sun (including that argument itself)? Or perhaps that because it's "old hat" (not novel), it is a superfluous argument already dismissed?It is (part of) my answer to the question OP posed and I subsequently quoted. I'm not advocating or dissiming the machine intelligence argument above and most certainly I'm not dismissing it simply on the basis that it's been suggested before.