PDA

View Full Version : Phil Plait's blog on Slate

Trebuchet
2012-Dec-05, 03:30 PM
Now that the BA has moved to Slate, I'm finding myself unhappy with it. The content is really the same, so I guess what's really bothering me is the commenting system: Registration required (not a huge deal), comments displayed "newest first", with no option to start at the beginning, and only a few comments at a time, requiring click after click to see them all. Ugh. As a result, I'm visiting less often and not even trying to read the comments. Anyone else feeling this way?

Solfe
2012-Dec-05, 04:03 PM
To be honest, follow Phil on G+ and never visit the blog unless the G+ post seems interesting.

As hard as I try to read them, every blog comment seems to say: "Man, this poster is wack, its got poo brain". Its strange, because I can read everything else just fine. I write or admin 9 blogs and I can only think of four blog comments that were valid. Two of them were well-disguised spam that I let through the moderation process because they amused me.

pumpkinpie
2012-Dec-05, 05:21 PM
Yep. Although my support is about 75% blog content and 25% comments, so the decline in comment quality doesn't make it much less worthwhile for me to visit.

abramson
2012-Dec-08, 03:06 AM
I agree completely. I liked the comments in Discover, and read many of them. Now, not only it's clumsier because of the display, but also the quality is very low (complains about wording, for example). I have not even made an account.

Phil's notes are as good as always, of course.

Guillermo

Rift
2013-Jan-09, 09:50 AM
I hate him being on Slate. I liked and were friends with a lot of the posters on Discover. The last to first is bad, but the worse thing is the signal to noise ratio. I'm not digging through 90% trolls and deniers and the like to find the 10% old friends, and posters I like. Some are relentless... Posting constantly what a bad writer, how stupid, or whatever, Phil is. I avoid comments like the plague now, but I'm not happy i have too.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Jan-09, 10:08 PM
I visit Slate often (under other guise) and was surprised when his stuff started showing up there. But, yeah, the comment system is awful.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Jan-09, 10:09 PM
Repeat post.