PDA

View Full Version : How are completed images to be read?

drhaugh
2012-Dec-07, 01:47 AM
Hi team! These are just curiosity questions; they have only general impact on the way I look at a fresh image.

First, we have 26 specific "things" we can mark (A-Z). Is there a priority among the possible selections?

Second, we have what I think of as, "scoop" craters. A crater where the angle of impact blew material up and out at more or less the same angle and direction (some of these are relatively quite large). Should we include the base crater and the extension in the same circle?

Third, when the decision was made as to which images to present first, was a specific area of Vesta chosen? It's obvious from the images that we're getting views of the same surface from varying altitudes and sun angles. Does this help with the surface interpretation, or the building of a detailed map?

And finally, how many sets of, "eyeballs" need to look at and annotate each image before it is averaged out? I'm sure each of us does our best, but we're all going to have things (shadows, textures, tonal differences, shapes) that catch our eye more than others.

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Best, Dave Haugh

astrostu
2012-Dec-07, 04:35 PM
Hi Dave,

I'm not part of the Vesta Mappers group, but I can start to answer two of your questions.

Third, when the decision was made as to which images to present first, was a specific area of Vesta chosen? It's obvious from the images that we're getting views of the same surface from varying altitudes and sun angles. Does this help with the surface interpretation, or the building of a detailed map?
Partial answer: Different lighting of the same area can help bring out different features, and not just craters. This is one of the things we're studying with MoonMappers. (http://cosmoquest.org/Moon_Mappers:_Lighting_Effects_Guide)

And finally, how many sets of, "eyeballs" need to look at and annotate each image before it is averaged out? I'm sure each of us does our best, but we're all going to have things (shadows, textures, tonal differences, shapes) that catch our eye more than others.
Maybe Answer: For MoonMappers and now MercuryMappers, 15 different people need to view an image slice before the image is retired. I think that Vesta folks waned more, and that they go to 30, but I could be wrong.

NoisyAstronomer
2012-Dec-11, 11:16 PM
We're doing a Hangout with some of the Dawn team this evening. I can bring up these Q's!

If you'd like to watch/participate: https://plus.google.com/events/c2taf10t6tm8ds4v5uk6jhmfp78

Shigeru
2012-Dec-12, 02:02 AM
It was a wonderful hangout! ^^