PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity Gets a Sister – What Should She Do ? Scientists Speak

Fraser
2012-Dec-09, 03:10 AM
Image caption: Seeing Double – Future Martian Sisters. NASA just announced plans to build and launch a new Mars science robotic rover in 2020 based on the design of the tremendously successful Curiosity rover which touched down inside Gale Crater on Aug. 6, 2012. This mosaic illustrates an imaginary Red Planet get-together of Curiosity and [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/98820/curiosity-gets-a-sister-what-should-she-do-scientists-speak/)

Selfsim
2012-Dec-09, 05:29 AM
This is such a sensible sounding plan ... its almost boring!

.. Which is exactly the kind of plan which has a good chance of getting buy-in ...

Now it’s up to NASA to formulate a well defined and realistic plan that the politicians will support.

Let's hope they do exactly that ... and keep all this exo-life chatter to an absolute minimum.

JustAFriend
2012-Dec-09, 04:11 PM
The biology and sample returns are important but there is one other thing I think they should try:

Send down a probe with a half-dozen smaller, faster rovers.
Drop them off and let them go in six different directions with the simple
goal of covering as much distance they can doing nothing but taking
high-res panoramas or specific close-up shots on anything interesting.

The flood of spectacular photos from Mars could ignite enough public
interest to push for more exploration or a future manned mission.

(and one shot of a living object - no matter how small - could change everything for NASA)

redshifter
2012-Dec-10, 07:34 PM
Perhaps I'm way off base here, and/or maybe it's just me, but I've always thought any interplanetary mission should have an HD video camera as part of the payload that streams video such that the public can see it. For example, streaming video of Hygens's descent to Titan, or video streaming from one of the Mars orbiters. I realize NASA/JPL might need to 'clean up' some video such as the Hygen's decent such that it might not actually be streaming. Still, I figured something like that might cause a big jump in laypublic interest in space/solar system exploration. I'm not sure what Curiosity's video capabilities are, it just seems like it would be really cool to see video from Mars such as a pan of the area where Curiosity is, and/or video during Curiosity's drives. I'd think an HD view from a Mars orbiter would be really compelling. Maybe it's just the space geek in me and most laypeople wouldn't care.