PDA

View Full Version : My Turn for Good News

Gillianren
2012-Dec-09, 05:06 AM
I've been holding onto this one for a while now, but I had a doctor's appointment this week which assured me that everything is fine.

I'm pregnant! I'm due on the eleventh of July. We will be finding out if it's a boy or a girl, but it hasn't finished developing those bits yet. I turned thirty-six Thursday, which is old for having a baby, but it's also the age my mother was when my younger sister was born. I'm sad that Mike doesn't know, won't know, but we're very happy.

Tobin Dax
2012-Dec-09, 05:32 AM
Wonderful news! Congratulations to you and Graham. I hope everything goes well.

(And a belated happy birthday, too!)

ABR.
2012-Dec-09, 05:33 AM
Good news, indeed! Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

grapes
2012-Dec-09, 09:04 AM
Congrats!

jokergirl
2012-Dec-09, 09:24 AM
Wow, that's awesome! Congratulations! Keep us updated.

John Jaksich
2012-Dec-09, 09:25 AM
Best wishes! and best of luck!

Paul Beardsley
2012-Dec-09, 09:31 AM
Fantastic! Congratulations!

Noclevername
2012-Dec-09, 12:04 PM
Congratulations! Wishing you all the best.

Moose
2012-Dec-09, 01:57 PM
Congrats, Gillian!

R.A.F.
2012-Dec-09, 02:40 PM
Excellent news...am expecting many baby pictures!! :D

Nick Theodorakis
2012-Dec-09, 04:12 PM
Congratulations! Don't worry about your age; my ex was 37 when we had our third and final and we had no problems with that pregnancy.

Nick

Torsten
2012-Dec-09, 04:21 PM
Congratulations Gillian!

Also, to add, my ex was 36 when our youngest was born, and everything went well.

Swift
2012-Dec-09, 04:32 PM
That is awesome Gillian. Big congrats.

geonuc
2012-Dec-09, 06:18 PM
Congratulations, Gillian.

AstroRockHunter
2012-Dec-09, 06:34 PM
Congratulations!!!

Don't worry about your age. My step-daughter was 40+ when she had her first (and, so far) only child.
Just listen to your body and your doctor and you'll be fine.

Nicolas
2012-Dec-09, 06:41 PM
Congratulations Gillian! My first one is expected in 2 months, so I know what you're going through. :)

FarmMarsNow
2012-Dec-09, 07:42 PM
You mean you aren't single? Nobody tells me anything! Well congrats are in order, but if you name the child after me it will help me to feel better. Its just a suggestion.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Dec-09, 07:45 PM
Speaking of names, any ideas so far?

AstroRockHunter
2012-Dec-09, 08:08 PM
Speaking of names, any ideas so far?

I like AstroRockHunter.

AstroRockHunter would be good. :D

starcanuck64
2012-Dec-09, 08:38 PM
Very good news indeed, congratulations!

Gillianren
2012-Dec-09, 08:40 PM
My personal baby name philosophy is to give the kid an interesting first name and a middle name that you can make a lot of nicknames out of. Unfortunately, my sister's name is Elizabeth, and we don't get along. Graham's sister's name is Margaret, and while they don't have any problems, we're still not going to name a kid that. So we agreed on Alexandra for a middle name if it's a girl and Alexander for a boy. I'm hoping to convince Graham that we should name a girl Audrey, but he doesn't want to name her after a Twin Peaks character. I would consider naming a boy James, after my dad who died when I was six, but Graham's older brother is named James. Graham is not thrilled by the idea of Seamus, which is the Gaelic.

Jim
2012-Dec-09, 08:59 PM
This is wonderful news. Congratulations to you both!

My personal baby name philosophy is to give the kid an interesting first name and a middle name that you can make a lot of nicknames out of. Unfortunately, my sister's name is Elizabeth, and we don't get along. Graham's sister's name is Margaret, and while they don't have any problems, we're still not going to name a kid that. ...

Yeah... my grandaughter's middle name is Elizabeth and my mother's first name was Margaret.

... So we agreed on Alexandra for a middle name if it's a girl and Alexander for a boy. I'm hoping to convince Graham that we should name a girl Audrey, but he doesn't want to name her after a Twin Peaks character. ...

It's also the name of the lead character in Haven. Well, one of her names.

... I would consider naming a boy James, after my dad who died when I was six, but Graham's older brother is named James. Graham is not thrilled by the idea of Seamus, which is the Gaelic.

I'm a James, as is my oldest. I had a friend and co-worker who insisted on calling me Hamish.

Solfe
2012-Dec-09, 09:00 PM
Congratulation!

My wife and I had a girl name picked out from the time we started dating. That meant we had two boys first. :)

Jim
2012-Dec-09, 09:01 PM
Congratulations Gillian! My first one is expected in 2 months, so I know what you're going through. :)

Yeah, somehow I doubt that you really know what she's going through.

Gillianren
2012-Dec-09, 10:31 PM
Yeah... my grandaughter's middle name is Elizabeth and my mother's first name was Margaret.

My mother's middle name is Elizabeth. Her mother's middle name was Elizabeth. My father's mother and sister have the middle name of Elizabeth. Mom didn't want to have any more Elizabeths in the family, but after my older sister was born on dad's mom's birthday--and then my younger sister was born the day before Grandma's birthday, she caved. Clearly, she was intended to name a daughter after Grandma. Doesn't mean I'm going to, though.

It's also the name of the lead character in Haven. Well, one of her names.

And, of course, there's Audrey Hepburn!

I'm a James, as is my oldest. I had a friend and co-worker who insisted on calling me Hamish.

My dad and his dad were both James. Unfortunately, their middle name was Melvin.

KaiYeves
2012-Dec-09, 10:36 PM
Somehow, I thought it might be that when I clicked the link... congrats, Gillian!

slang
2012-Dec-09, 10:45 PM
Congratulations, Gillian, and thanks for sharing! *high fives Graham*

Hope you'll have a smooth ride! 36 is just fine. Beats being a teenage mom for sure, judging from all the accurate documentaries on MTV. ;)

Tobin Dax
2012-Dec-09, 11:15 PM
I think that Alexander is a great middle name. :D In fact, with my middle name and three old friends being named Andrew X, Andrew Y, and Z Andrews, I really want to name a daughter Alexandra (if I ever have one).

Regarding your father's name, well, I'm glad that my parents named my younger sister Melissa instead of passing on Melvin to me. Audrey is a beautiful name, but there are options in passing a name down.

Buttercup
2012-Dec-09, 11:26 PM
Congratulations! :)

swampyankee
2012-Dec-09, 11:59 PM
Congratulations! And thirty-six isn't too old (obviously!). As an aside, my mother in law was forty-one when my wife was born.

Donnie B.
2012-Dec-10, 02:02 AM
Shiny news, Gillianren!

My late father was a Robert Alexander. That worked well for him.

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2012-Dec-10, 05:08 AM
Congratulations to you and Graham!

Ara Pacis
2012-Dec-10, 07:20 AM
Congrats.

Audrey is an interesting name... you can shorten it to Odd. :p

PlutonianEmpire
2012-Dec-10, 07:31 AM
Congrats. :)

Nicolas
2012-Dec-10, 07:55 AM
Yeah, somehow I doubt that you really know what she's going through.

Well, not any more than I know what's my own wife's going through, obviously...

LookingSkyward
2012-Dec-10, 11:20 AM
Lovely! Congratulations!

Cougar
2012-Dec-10, 01:46 PM
That's great, Gillianren! Let the fun begin. :D

SeanF
2012-Dec-10, 02:48 PM
Congratulations, Gillianren! That's great, and I hope everything works out well for all of you. :D

ToSeek
2012-Dec-10, 05:37 PM
Huzzah!

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Dec-10, 06:29 PM
Great news, Gillianren.

DonM435
2012-Dec-10, 07:03 PM
Best wishes to all of you.

(I was already 31 when our son came along, but my wife is younger, and she did all the work besides.)

Fazor
2012-Dec-10, 07:36 PM
Sorry, I was out of town yesterday so just catching up. Congratu'ma'lations Gillian! That's awesome news!

publiusr
2012-Dec-10, 09:21 PM
Congrats! We need more good news.

closetgeek
2012-Dec-11, 01:51 PM
I've been holding onto this one for a while now, but I had a doctor's appointment this week which assured me that everything is fine.

I'm pregnant! I'm due on the eleventh of July. We will be finding out if it's a boy or a girl, but it hasn't finished developing those bits yet. I turned thirty-six Thursday, which is old for having a baby, but it's also the age my mother was when my younger sister was born. I'm sad that Mike doesn't know, won't know, but we're very happy.

Wow! I am a little late to the game but congratulations! As far as I know, 36 and up is becoming quite the norm for having babies.

Gillianren
2012-Dec-11, 04:58 PM
I was actually talking to a friend about it last night. It may well be, but the biological issues involved haven't changed. I am officially high risk, according to my doctor. There are genetic concerns that would be considerably lower if I'd had kids five years ago and weren't much of a concern at all when my daughter was born fifteen years ago. However, everything on the ultrasound looked proportionate, so my odds of something's actually being wrong have been lowered.

Whirlpool
2012-Dec-11, 06:28 PM
Congratulations Gillianren!

Infinity Watcher
2012-Dec-11, 09:13 PM
I've only just spotted this thread so my apologies for being late to the party, but congratulations Gillianren! I'm really happy for you, by all counts I think you've deserved some good news for a while so please keep us posted (although I feel obliged to add this warning comic (http://www.reallifecomics.com/archive/121106.html) about getting baby advice from nerds). I'm a bit far out to offer to drop by if you need help (there's this pesky thing called the atlantic ocean in the way), but fingers crossed for you and always a listening ear if you want one.

As RAF said: here's holding out for plenty of baby pics in the near future (and in the slightly further future a Gillianren Jr. on the boards)

Tensor
2012-Dec-12, 05:35 AM
I'm a bit late here, but congratulations Gillianren, this is really good news.

mfumbesi
2012-Dec-12, 12:05 PM
Congrats.

Jim
2012-Dec-12, 04:26 PM
As RAF said: here's holding out for plenty of baby pics in the near future (and in the slightly further future a Gillianren Jr. on the boards)

Oh, great. Then they can argue with each other over whether that comma was really necessary.

Grey
2012-Dec-12, 05:03 PM
Oh, great. Then they can argue with each other over whether that comma was really necessary.I'm confident that Gillian will bring up her son or daughter properly, and make certain that he or she properly respects the necessity of the Oxford comma. ;)

Congrats, Gillian!

As for names, my own suggestion (which you can freely heed or ignore at your whim) is that you choose a name that you like, and that you think the child will like, without worrying overmuch whether someone in your family has (or doesn't have) that name.

Fazor
2012-Dec-12, 05:10 PM
(I'll nominate the name 'Steve', but not to be named after me so much as after the name of the hedge in "Over the Hedge.")

Buttercup
2012-Dec-12, 05:21 PM
If I'd had a girl, she'd be named Madeleine Louise. :)

rigel
2012-Dec-12, 07:44 PM
Congats.

I was 40 (my wife a little less) when we had 2 great kids.
[/I]

Swift
2012-Dec-12, 08:17 PM
(I'll nominate the name 'Steve', but not to be named after me so much as after the name of the hedge in "Over the Hedge.")
Especially if its a girl. :p

Trebuchet
2012-Dec-12, 08:52 PM
Comgrats! For what it's my mom was Margaret and there's an Emily in every generation.

Nicolas
2012-Dec-12, 09:35 PM
If it's a boy: Jone's.

If it's a girl: A'shley.

Destined to become a greengrocer. ;)

Fazor
2012-Dec-12, 09:52 PM
Especially if its a girl. :p

My dog's name is Charlie . . . she doesn't seem to mind. ;)

Jim
2012-Dec-13, 04:20 AM
Congats.

I was 40 (my wife a little less) when we had 2 great kids.

And how old were you when you had the rest?

Badumbum.

DonM435
2012-Dec-13, 02:51 PM
The baby's name is going to be chosen by the Moderation Staff.
Check the User Agreement you all signed, folks!

closetgeek
2012-Dec-13, 04:02 PM
I was actually talking to a friend about it last night. It may well be, but the biological issues involved haven't changed. I am officially high risk, according to my doctor. There are genetic concerns that would be considerably lower if I'd had kids five years ago and weren't much of a concern at all when my daughter was born fifteen years ago. However, everything on the ultrasound looked proportionate, so my odds of something's actually being wrong have been lowered.

How are you feeling?

Gillianren
2012-Dec-13, 04:53 PM
Persistently nauseated, though not actually to the point of throwing up. Tired--I take naps and still sleep nine or ten hours a night. Delightfully, the hormone mix seems to have canceled out the seasonal aches and pains I'd be having this time of year in a normal year, so I haven't needed painkillers. And, yes, I checked with my doctor about which ones are acceptable during pregnancy.

Perikles
2012-Dec-13, 05:29 PM
Congrats Gillian!

My personal baby name philosophy is to give the kid an interesting first name and a middle name that you can make a lot of nicknames out of. .

I have a granddaughter named on exactly that principle. Because my daughter-in-law was about 45 (!) during pregnancy, I think concerns about the health of the child eclipsed any discussion of names, so when she was born last year the parents had no clue what to call her. For reasons known only to themselves, the parents then took six weeks systematically rejecting every single girl's name until they resolved on Tha´s. What? I then got a frantic phonecall from my son to say he had to register the names at the registry office which closed in 30 minutes to avoid some massive fine for late registration, and he had doubts. So I persuaded him to add Elizabeth as a second name, and I'm glad I did.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Dec-13, 05:39 PM

Just in - they've decided on CosmoBaby Ren.

Ara Pacis
2012-Dec-13, 07:45 PM
Persistently nauseated...

Well, as long as you're not nauseous. ;)

slang
2012-Dec-14, 08:25 AM

Still trying to find a nice one that somehow has the word clique in it. :) Angeclique?

Nicolas
2012-Dec-14, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the reminder! Six weeks to get myself banned.

Unless we can settle on Astrorob of course.

Ara Pacis
2012-Dec-14, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the reminder! Six weeks to get myself banned.

Unless we can settle on Astrorob of course.

I think that one's taken but Astrotheft is free.

Jim
2012-Dec-14, 02:54 PM
My personal baby name philosophy is to give the kid an interesting first name and a middle name that you can make a lot of nicknames out of. .

I know a couple who sorta did that. When they found out they were having a girl, the father suggested Cecilia "because then we can call her Ceci." The mother suggested they just name her Ceci. Which they did.

closetgeek
2012-Dec-14, 03:22 PM
Persistently nauseated, though not actually to the point of throwing up. Tired--I take naps and still sleep nine or ten hours a night. Delightfully, the hormone mix seems to have canceled out the seasonal aches and pains I'd be having this time of year in a normal year, so I haven't needed painkillers. And, yes, I checked with my doctor about which ones are acceptable during pregnancy.

Awe, I am sure you are counting down the days till the end of your first trimester. Is there something stronger than Tylenol you can actually take? I remember, back in the day, I went to the emergency room in the middle of the night because of stabbing ear pain (I've had ear infections before, nothing that ever felt like that). The emergency room doctor was about to prescribe me some painkillers but I told him I was pregnant, at which point he told me to stick to Tylenol. It did absolutely nothing for the pain.

Gillianren
2012-Dec-14, 05:39 PM
Awe, I am sure you are counting down the days till the end of your first trimester. Is there something stronger than Tylenol you can actually take? I remember, back in the day, I went to the emergency room in the middle of the night because of stabbing ear pain (I've had ear infections before, nothing that ever felt like that). The emergency room doctor was about to prescribe me some painkillers but I told him I was pregnant, at which point he told me to stick to Tylenol. It did absolutely nothing for the pain.

Turns out the whole thing about "morning sickness only lasts the first trimester" is also a lie! The average length is fifteen weeks. Though a good friend of mine actually had hers stop exactly the day her first trimester ended, as if she was on a timer, and hers was much worse than mine. The fatigue should ease then, but since I'm not doing much these days anyway, the fatigue isn't much of a problem.

As to painkillers, my doctor told me that the levels at which I take Vicodin are safe. I get a prescription of thirty pills that usually lasts me about six months or so. She says the biggest concern with Vicodin during pregnancy isn't birth defects, it's addiction. I have a prescription for arthritis-formula Tylenol, which I haven't used in a couple of months, and I probably have about a dozen Vicodin left, which I also haven't used in months. I plan to double check with my OB-GYN about the Vicodin, but so far, I'm doing better than I normally am in December.

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Dec-14, 05:43 PM
Turns out the whole thing about "morning sickness only lasts the first trimester" is also a lie! The average length is fifteen weeks. Though a good friend of mine actually had hers stop exactly the day her first trimester ended, as if she was on a timer, and hers was much worse than mine. The fatigue should ease then, but since I'm not doing much these days anyway, the fatigue isn't much of a problem.

As to painkillers, my doctor told me that the levels at which I take Vicodin are safe. I get a prescription of thirty pills that usually lasts me about six months or so. She says the biggest concern with Vicodin during pregnancy isn't birth defects, it's addiction. I have a prescription for arthritis-formula Tylenol, which I haven't used in a couple of months, and I probably have about a dozen Vicodin left, which I also haven't used in months. I plan to double check with my OB-GYN about the Vicodin, but so far, I'm doing better than I normally am in December.

The last thing you need is baby version of House.

closetgeek
2012-Dec-14, 11:55 PM

My morning sickness ended at the end of my first trimester with all three but it was immediately replaced by unrelenting heartburn till they were born. Let's hope yours ends soon, too. That's so cool, though, your baby is like a live in pain killer. :)

swampyankee
2012-Dec-15, 12:05 AM

I think my wife's morning sickness stopped about the time she went into labor.

Gillianren
2012-Dec-15, 12:36 AM
Not common, but not unheard of, either. Tell her she has my sympathies.

Jim
2012-Dec-15, 02:06 AM
My morning sickness ended at the end of my first trimester with all three but it was immediately replaced by unrelenting heartburn till they were born. ...

Huh. I didn't have morning sickness (not even the sympathetic kind) with any of ours, and the heartburn only started when they became teenagers.

Solfe
2012-Dec-17, 11:17 PM
When I got married my hair turned grey. When the kids came along, it fell out. My wife tells me that doesn't ever happen to women. She tells me that a lot.

Lurking Nerd
2012-Dec-18, 07:19 PM
When I got married my hair turned grey. When the kids came along, it fell out. My wife tells me that doesn't ever happen to women. She tells me that a lot.

My wife had grey hair from before we met so I've always teased her about it. Recently, we've noticed that my hair is getting noticably thinner. I'm in for a world of payback now.

DonM435
2012-Dec-18, 08:16 PM
Gray hair is hereditary.

You get it from your children.

Gillianren
2012-Dec-18, 09:13 PM
I've already started putting together my baby registry. I'm liking that Amazon has a feature that lets you put on items from other websites--there are a couple of local businesses I want to support (like our local diaper store!), and that makes it easier. Though on one item, I just note, "Please buy this from Wind Up Here," which is our local toy store.

R.A.F.
2012-Dec-18, 09:19 PM
I still have my hair....welll most of it...and it is almost completely white.

On the other hand, my Wife, who is only 3 years younger than I, has hardly a gray hair on her head.

I'd like to place the blame on our children, but given equal exposure, why isn't her hair white like mine?

I think it's a conspiracy. :)

SeanF
2012-Dec-18, 09:47 PM

On the other hand, my Wife, who is only 3 years younger than I, has hardly a gray hair on her head.

I'd like to place the blame on our children, but given equal exposure, why isn't her hair white like mine?

Only her hairdresser knows for sure.

R.A.F.
2012-Dec-19, 01:43 AM
Only her hairdresser knows for sure.

No...your hypothesis doesn't apply as supercuts is as close as she comes to a "hairdresser"...and her older brother is the same...head full of dark hair.

closetgeek
2012-Dec-19, 03:45 AM

There's not a single gray hair on my head either, because I dyed it two weeks ago, as I've been doing since I noticed the first clump of grays... at 23 :(

What I get a kick out of, though, is the endless teasing from Mr. Closetgeek, who seems to think he has no grays. It's mixed in with blond hair so it's harder to see, but it's there; on his head, streaks in his facial hair when he blows off shaving, and even in his ears <giggles>.

Noclevername
2012-Dec-20, 03:56 PM
I started going bald at 24, after years of making fun of my dad's comb-over. Only in the last few years have I started getting scattered white hair. No grey, though.

Trebuchet
2012-Dec-22, 04:31 AM
I've very little hair but it's not grey. Dad's was stii dark red at 87.

swampyankee
2012-Dec-22, 12:57 PM

Between her and her hair dresser, perhaps?

ToSeek
2012-Dec-22, 07:14 PM
I started going bald at 24, after years of making fun of my dad's comb-over. Only in the last few years have I started getting scattered white hair. No grey, though.

Except for a slightly receding hairline, my scalp is holding up. My baby brother, on the other hand, is developing a definite bald spot.

Gillianren
2012-Dec-22, 08:25 PM
I just hope the genes for Graham's scalp are recessive--it's wrinkled. It looks like a brain, and of course, he cuts his hair very short.

Infinity Watcher
2012-Dec-22, 10:01 PM
I just hope the genes for Graham's scalp are recessive--it's wrinkled. It looks like a brain, and of course, he cuts his hair very short.

I'm not sure about scalps... but male pattern baldness certainly is carried down matrilinearly so you may be in luck there Gillianren, maybe scalps are as well... but that said I am a) not an embryologist and b) even when I did do a bit of embryology ages ago I was slightly worse at it than I am at say... advanced Quantum Mechanics and as such my guess is worth somewhat less than has been paid for it... so I guess... good luck on that one?

Tinaa
2012-Dec-23, 01:09 AM
I haven't told you congratulations yet Gillianren! We have our grandbaby living here and she is such a joy. That little baby is awesome. She loves her MiMi of course. I watch her nights and weekends while her mother works. I am a bit tired but I wouldn't trade it for a million dollars. May ALL your troubles be little ones Gillianren.

On the other conversation, I started getting grey hair in high school. I've finally decided to let it go natural. People think I've spent money to make it like it is. Ha! I save a little under $500 a year this way.

Gillianren
2012-Dec-23, 02:29 AM
My aunt, who is I think seventy now, still has the vibrant red hair she had when I was a kid--and, now as then, it's out of a bottle. I stopped dyeing mine, but that was partially because I didn't think I could take the fumes, given my current heightened sense of smell. My four or five grey hairs don't bother me much. Especially because I had a camp counselor in junior high who had streaks of grey in her hair already. She made Rose Princess that year, too.

Gillianren
2013-Feb-20, 11:12 PM
We had an appointment this morning for Level Two Sonogram and genetic counseling in Tacoma. (Well, obviously, the first part was all me, but I made Graham come anyway.) It's official--it's a boy.

Donnie B.
2013-Feb-21, 01:58 AM
Oh, boy!

Swift
2013-Feb-21, 02:45 AM
Mazel tov

Trebuchet
2013-Feb-21, 04:09 AM
Congratulations again! Of course, I'd say the same if it was a girl!

LookingSkyward
2013-Feb-21, 08:43 AM
What Treb said! My 2 daughters have brought me great joy, wishing the same to you!

Moose
2013-Feb-21, 10:14 AM
:)

Cougar
2013-Feb-21, 01:48 PM
All the best, Gillian! Baseball, OK. Football, no.

Trebuchet
2013-Feb-21, 03:54 PM

Catapulting! Just 16 years and I'll have a future crew member. Or younger, for the Snohomish event.

Noclevername
2013-Feb-21, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure about scalps... but male pattern baldness certainly is carried down matrilinearly so you may be in luck there Gillianren,

I thought that had been debunked. Both lines contribute.

ADDED: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgenic_alopecia#Genetics

Trebuchet
2013-Feb-21, 04:53 PM

Yeah. Pretty much all the men on my father's side of the family have the same lack-of-hairline as me. The men on my mother's side have good hair.

Gillianren
2013-Feb-21, 05:22 PM

When we were initially talking about the prospect of kids, Graham said he didn't want them involved in any organized sports, on the grounds that he didn't want the kid having to get clothes that would only be worn for a year. Once I was done laughing at that, I told him that, so far as I was concerned, if the kid was interested in sports, the kid was on its own but could go right ahead and participate. (I am hugely uncoordinated and completely uninterested in sports; Graham is burned out on the subject because everyone assumed the tall kid would be good at basketball.) We won't be encouraging in that direction, simply because neither of us are very interested, but we are going to insist on at least a year of swimming class. It may not be competitive, but it's important.

Catapulting! Just 16 years and I'll have a future crew member. Or younger, for the Snohomish event.

Yeah, that's on the list of likely activities. I'm also going to look into the SCA's boffer rules when he's a few years old.

Swift
2013-Feb-21, 05:32 PM
Graham said he didn't want them involved in any organized sports,
He could become a Cleveland Indians' baseball player... they don't play an organized sport. :rimshot:

Romanus
2013-Feb-21, 05:54 PM
Can't believe I missed the original post.

Congratulations! :)

Gillianren
2013-Feb-21, 06:42 PM
He could become a Cleveland Indians' baseball player... they don't play an organized sport. :rimshot:

And the team one of the baseball movies I own is about! (Oddly, I own two movies about baseball, and Charlie Sheen is in both of them.) Graham actually kind of enjoys just messing about with a basketball, but he wasn't too fond of being on a team. My understanding is that his mother made all of them spend some time in team sports. I'm planning to force at least one year of swimming lessons and at least one year of musical training, but while I'll be encouraging of physical activity, the poor kid may get his coordination from me and therefore shouldn't be obligated to play anything.

Infinity Watcher
2013-Feb-21, 08:12 PM

Huh... well I'll be darned... just goes to show you're never too old to learn something new, that's what I get for posting without diving into Pubmed I guess...

and good to hear all is going well Gillianren, hope you're not getting too many side effects from pregnancy yet...

Gillianren
2013-Feb-21, 10:53 PM
The nausea has not gone away, alas. So far, I am not really showing--actually, I lost weight last month (I'm getting more exercise), but I'm enough overweight going in that my doctor is not concerned. Today is the halfway point by the way doctors count, and everything is fine. According to my blood tests and so forth, the baby is healthy. Actually, he can't have one of the things they test for; there's a genetic abnormality wherein you only have one sex chromosome, and you cannot both have that condition and be male. But all the tests came back with odds so low for the various conditions that no one feels the need to have me do an amnio, which carries a one in a thousand risk of miscarriage--five times the baby's risk for a couple of the conditions, based on my bloodwork.

Infinity Watcher
2013-Feb-22, 12:11 AM
The nausea has not gone away, alas. So far, I am not really showing--actually, I lost weight last month (I'm getting more exercise), but I'm enough overweight going in that my doctor is not concerned. Today is the halfway point by the way doctors count, and everything is fine. According to my blood tests and so forth, the baby is healthy. Actually, he can't have one of the things they test for; there's a genetic abnormality wherein you only have one sex chromosome, and you cannot both have that condition and be male. But all the tests came back with odds so low for the various conditions that no one feels the need to have me do an amnio, which carries a one in a thousand risk of miscarriage--five times the baby's risk for a couple of the conditions, based on my bloodwork.
That's Turner's syndrome (medics love eponymous names... although the current trend is to phase them out to make everything more understandable) I believe. Turner's can lead in certain cirucmstances can lead to the somewhat bizarre situation where you have identical twins of opposite genders (where you have a genetically male pair of twins where one twin develops Turner's, losing the Y chromosome to give the haplotype 45,X [which results in female development] and the other twin remains 45, XY).

Solfe
2013-Feb-22, 01:06 AM
Congratulations!

I suggest buying some Legos, right now. The ability to avoid stepping on Legos is a critical parenting skill. :)

Gillianren
2013-Feb-22, 04:41 AM
That's Turner's syndrome (medics love eponymous names... although the current trend is to phase them out to make everything more understandable) I believe. Turner's can lead in certain cirucmstances can lead to the somewhat bizarre situation where you have identical twins of opposite genders (where you have a genetically male pair of twins where one twin develops Turner's, losing the Y chromosome to give the haplotype 45,X [which results in female development] and the other twin remains 45, XY).

When the genetic counselor was discussing it with me, she used the chromosomal reference for everything. Her chart to demonstrate it didn't even list Down syndrome; it said "trisomy 21."

I suggest buying some Legos, right now. The ability to avoid stepping on Legos is a critical parenting skill. :)

I learned that a long, long time ago--when I was in fifth grade, I refused to ever share my bedroom with my younger sister again, so I moved into the basement. It was also the playroom, and it didn't stop being the playroom when it became my bedroom.

DonM435
2013-Feb-22, 01:43 PM
Congratulations!

For us, it was Play-Doh. Our little son would get it everywhere: drapes, carpets, electronics ... .

We finally laid down a law: No more Play-Doh until you turn 21, kid!

We enforced that, but relented of course. We gave him some for his 12th birthday or thereabout.

Staiduk
2013-Feb-22, 07:10 PM
Dear lovely Gillian -
Way to go, Mom! I regret I didn't reply sooner but I've been busy and didn't see this before now.

All I can say is that's one incredibly lucky kid you've got growing down there. Children can't help who they're born to; their early life is (in my eternally cynical, eternally single opinion) a crapshoot. Your kid just threw a seven, IMO. To have a mother of your grace, intelligence and joy for life is to win the jackpot. I've never met you; I know you only from your words on this board but I can say quite confidently that your son will have the best start in life he possibly can; thanks to his wonderful mother. I wish I was there (and that we were real-life friends) so I could give you a big hug and cry (I'm a total sap when it comes to new babies). Just remember one important fact: Teddy bears should be tan or brown - natural bear colours. Pink or blue teddy bears cause nightmares in the under-three crowd. (No scientific research involved there; just my memories of the satanic, horribly cheerful Mr. Fluffy; a bright blue Baloo bear that haunts my earliest memories even 45 years on.)
You go girl; bring fresh life into this world.
(hug) (If you're willing to accept it. If not, 'smile and encouraging grin'. :) )

Gillianren
2013-Feb-22, 08:12 PM
Thanks; I'll take the hug.

I've been saying that the distinct advantage to the fact that I'm having a boy is that I have dodged the Big Pink Bullet that I was going to get hit by if I had a girl. According to my mother, that's why she didn't find out what we were in advance; if she didn't know, she forced the gender-neutral issue on everyone else. Heck, I didn't even like pink when I was a little girl. I preferred purple. And by junior high, my favourite colour was blue. There's nothing wrong with little girls who like pink, but that doesn't mean I want to be completely surrounded by it before the kid is old enough to express a preference.

I know there are some ways I'm not going to be the best mom going; my health conditions persist, after all. However, half my Amazon registry right now is books. A large amount of my Target registry is movies. Our planned nursery theme is astronomy. My plan is to tell the kid that he doesn't have to go to college if he doesn't want to, but he has to take the kind of classes that will allow him to do so if he wants to. Better to be prepared and not need it than to need it and not be prepared. And if he turns out to have the math/science brain that his mother doesn't, I can promise that I know exactly where to send him for help on his calculus/physics/chemistry homework.

Swift
2013-Feb-22, 08:24 PM
Our planned nursery theme is astronomy.
I'm sure Pamela will be happy to know that we have at least one plan for "growing" our membership. :D

Buttercup
2013-Feb-22, 08:30 PM
Gillianren: Deep space or solar system oriented? Maybe a combination? I can't help being curious. :)

Gillianren
2013-Feb-22, 08:48 PM
A combination. Stars and comets and planets and things. We can't paint the apartment, so one of the things on my wish list is reusable wall decals with stars and whatever on them. (http://www.target.com/p/outer-space-vinyl-wall-decals/-/A-13853512#prodSlot=large_2_13) My mother, alas, says she's going to make him a patriotic-themed quilt like as not, because his birthday will be right around Independence Day. I wish she wouldn't.

Jim
2013-Feb-22, 08:53 PM
Yeah, well, at least it fits the stars theme.

Gillianren
2013-Feb-22, 09:32 PM
Yeah, but I'd rather not have white on much of anything for a small child.

Fazor
2013-Feb-22, 09:32 PM
A boy? A boy. OH BOY! As much as you like it when people mistakenly call you it, I'll assume he'll be named Gilligan.

Now excuse me as I go find a place to hide.

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2013-Feb-23, 12:08 AM

Plus, if you buy the Legos now, you might have the loan paid off by the time he's ready for college.

Solfe
2013-Feb-23, 02:05 AM
Congrats.

Audrey is an interesting name... you can shorten it to Odd. :p

Or Ood. :)

HenrikOlsen
2013-Feb-26, 01:13 AM
. . . . Heck, I didn't even like pink when I was a little girl. I preferred purple. And by junior high, my favourite colour was blue. There's nothing wrong with little girls who like pink, but that doesn't mean I want to be completely surrounded by it before the kid is old enough to express a preference. . . .
I think it's only a little over a hundred years ago when the colors were red for boys and blue for girls.
Red because it's such an aggressive masculine color, blue because it's soothing and calm and therefore feminine,

Solfe
2013-Feb-26, 01:34 AM
One year my son dressed up as Darth Vader. My daughter told him: "Pink is the new black."
She told her 1st grade teacher: "No, not Catherine. I prefer Catty."
She laughed at the bus driver: "No, I'm not Kathy."

Stick to boys, they're safer.

Gillianren
2013-Feb-26, 03:14 AM
I think it's only a little over a hundred years ago when the colors were red for boys and blue for girls.
Red because it's such an aggressive masculine color, blue because it's soothing and calm and therefore feminine,

Even pink was a colour for boys until relatively recently. Currently, green is for gender neutral, and I'm fine with that. Green is a good colour--Graham's favourite, actually.

Boys may or may not be safer--Erma Bombeck said that at least they were honest when you asked them what they were doing, though what they were doing was often worse--but I have little experience with young boys. I have two sisters and no brothers. None of my cousins are my own age, and I didn't spend a lot of time with the younger ones when I was growing up. When I was still in elementary school, I didn't hang out with boys, largely because a lot of the boys in my class were fairly obnoxious. (I'm back in touch with someone who was a grade ahead of me back then, and I'm sure he'd agree that the boys my approximate age would not have hung out with a girl.) I did some babysitting, including of a few boys, but that's about the extent. I am also not expecting heaps of help in the parenting department from Graham, especially in situations that require talking.