PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and a couple of shots

ojnord
2012-Dec-10, 09:33 AM
Hi! I am living just outside Stavanger, in south-western Norway. Took up the interest in astronomy during my son's hostpital stay early this year. Now I have enrolled to the course Astronomy at the University in Stavanger, and joined the local Astronomy association. When time permits, I will get access to their observation equipment. Huge light pollution in this area combined with lots of bad weather, as we are situated right where the Golf stream hits the Norwegian coast, limits observation times as good conditions are rare. Below is one shot taken a few nights ago just outside my house in a beautiful coast moor area called "Kvithei" (where they now want to build houses. We are opposing that of course, will see how that case goes), and the second is a shot earlier this fall from a place called Brekko one hour's drive inland. Equipment: Pentax K-5, with Samyang 14 mm f2.8, both 30 sek (yeah, a bit too long I noticed).

Enjoy! OJ, Sola.

Milky way from Kvithei, Sola.

Jupiter in Taurus, with Orion mirroring in the Madlandsvatnet lake.

LookingSkyward
2012-Dec-10, 11:23 AM
Nice! Thanks for sharing!

RickJ
2012-Dec-10, 08:00 PM
I really like the second one. Water that calm is rare where I live. I'm on a lake but never see it that calm. Our water is frozen solid here in northern Minnesota. Sometimes in the spring we get a half inch of water over the ice. That can make a mirror like surface but is rare.

Rick

ojnord
2012-Dec-10, 11:02 PM
I really like the second one. Water that calm is rare where I live. I'm on a lake but never see it that calm. Our water is frozen solid here in northern Minnesota. Sometimes in the spring we get a half inch of water over the ice. That can make a mirror like surface but is rare.

Rick

Yes. It is the same here - very seldom calm. It was a magic night!! Thanks for the reply!

Cougar
2012-Dec-11, 01:23 AM
Yes, welcome to the board, ojnord. That second one is quite interesting! Also interesting if you rotate it 180o... :)