PDA

View Full Version : Just started watching South Park & have to ?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Nov-01, 02:02 PM
I just started watching this show and find it real fuuny for the most part...or at least I did...saw the episode about Mel Gibson and "The Passion". Felt that it really pushed the limits of good taste...or no taste...don't really want to get into specifics here.

Wally
2004-Nov-01, 02:12 PM
That pretty much defines the entire premise of the show. Push the limits of good taste and humor to the breaking point.

I get a kick out of it, but then again, I've got a pretty warped sense of humor for the most part, and am not easily offended by any given topic. Just taped several hours worth of the "best shows ever" marathon C.S. had a week or so ago. Saw the Michael Jackson ep., and laughed my butt off!

One thing you have to give them credit for, they "equal opportunity" offenders! Nothing is sacred!

Humphrey
2004-Nov-01, 04:51 PM
See one thing i love about that show is that they try to offend everyone. They are not specifically por or against a certain political spectrum. They do have a surprisingly large amount of social commentary if you really listen and look at the show.

Give it another try and put your ideas about the show behind you. I am more than betting once you see the social commentary you will like the show.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Nov-01, 05:23 PM
Give it another try and put your ideas about the show behind you. I am more than betting once you see the social commentary you will like the show.

Yes the episode that I speak of was a commentary on "The Passion" and how it polarized people...but watch the episode and tell me if it was necessary to have Mel Gibson behaving in a certain way at the very end. Or what about the episode with Christopher Reeve? Bad taste...

Humphrey
2004-Nov-01, 05:31 PM
I never saw the passion episode so i cant say. But i did see the Christopher Reeve episode. The enitre episode was playing in the misconceptions that is in the popular media and peoples minds about stem cell research. They took alot of those misbeliefs and made fun of them. It did not make fun of Christopher Reeve at all, it used him as a character to get their point across.

Basically for those who did not watch, the episode had Christopher Reeve in it adn was about the stem cell reaserch argument. Christopher Reeve was shown taking baby fetuses and sucking on them to gain superhuman strength. He then turned evil from it and Gene Hackman came in to stop it. (Play on the Superman movies).

Tobin Dax
2004-Nov-01, 07:52 PM

Yes the episode that I speak of was a commentary on "The Passion" and how it polarized people...but watch the episode and tell me if it was necessary to have Mel Gibson behaving in a certain way at the very end. Or what about the episode with Christopher Reeve? Bad taste...

I don't know, I really enjoyed Gibson chasing the boys in a kilt and warpaint while shouting in Klingon. Of course, I love SP just for the Trek references, so.... :D

Harvestar
2004-Nov-01, 09:02 PM
I watched South Park back in college and I really enjoyed some shows, didn't enjoy others.

The one where they make fun of the "NeoPets" toys is BRILLIANT!!!

I do want to see the one about the Passion.

I also HATED the Simpsons until I really watched a few of them.

Maksutov
2004-Nov-01, 11:55 PM
I just started watching this show and find it real fuuny for the most part...or at least I did...saw the episode about Mel Gibson and "The Passion". Felt that it really pushed the limits of good taste...or no taste...don't really want to get into specifics here.
Just started watching? Where have you been for the last seven years? :)

Well, as they say, "chacun son gout".

Mel's been begging for that kind of send-up for a long time, from somewhere between The Patriot and Signs. Trey and Matt did an excellent. Or as Cartman would say, "Sweeeet!"

It's good to see that at least on one part of the TV spectrum, there's still room for unbridled satire, parody, and lampoon, the eternal enemies of stuffed shirts and overinflated egos.

Normandy6644
2004-Nov-02, 12:18 AM
I really like that show, and I certainly agree that they like to make fun of everyone. I don't find it offensive, but then again, I don't really get offended, and especially not by a show that doesn't take itself seriously.

Rich
2004-Nov-02, 12:37 AM
I enjoyed the send up of Mel Gibson as well. They were making a great point about his strangely developed obsession with sado/masochistic persecution complexes. I mean a lot of his stuff is just borderline perverse when you look at his whole filmography.

"The Road Warrior" and "Mad Max" you can't really blame him for, he was just playing a part. But look at his choices since he became more established. OK, "Man Without a Face" seems pretty harmless and "Brave Heart" is a great period war movie about patriotism and sacrifice (even if it's somewhat ahistorical). But don't the two seem to have an awfully lot in common. Then add the exerable "Patriot" on there in which he throws in every cliche he can think of to torture his character (btw - a demonstrably poorer job of portraying actual history than Brave Heart). Now that I think of it his character in the "Lethal Weapon" franchise had similar persecution crap going on.

So, it's not exactly unfair to point out much of his work has centered around characters with serious messiah-persecution issues and that the sadism or masochism evident in the torment of his protagonists has gotten more extreme and graphic through the years (especially when he is at the helm). Does he have some weird sado/masochistic messiah-persecution complex? I dunnknow. But his movies are starting to make it look like he does.

I for one laughed hysterically during that episode. Those guys spare no one, and I find that very refreshing.

Wolverine
2004-Nov-02, 02:51 AM
...I really enjoyed some shows, didn't enjoy others.

My sentiments exactly.

I must say, though, the best-ever episode of South Park was Season 6, episode 15 (The Biggest D**che in the Universe) which parodied John Edward (the self-proclaimed "psychic" who claims to communicate with the dead).

Not only was this episode hysterically funny, but it offered perhaps one of the best explanations of cold reading (http://www.skepdic.com/coldread.html) I've ever seen.

Do try to catch it if you haven't seen it. 8)

Quartermain
2004-Nov-02, 02:54 AM
banquo's_bumble_puppy, some things should be taken seriously. South Park is not one of those things. :wink:

Candy
2004-Nov-02, 02:58 AM
Being a closet pervert, I liked the episode with Ben Affleck and Cartman's ('ennifer Lopez) hand. 8-[

Doe, John
2004-Nov-02, 03:48 AM
Sorry, but I can't resist a straight line especially after having lurked on FWIS these many moons

Being a closet pervert
waddaya mean closet??? :P
ducking and running

ChesleyFan
2004-Nov-02, 04:18 AM
Having not watched South Park for some time, I absolutely enjoyed the recent voting episode, where Stan has to choose between two new mascots for his school. P. Diddy's cameo had me laughing my butt off.

Candy
2004-Nov-02, 05:33 AM
Sorry, but I can't resist a straight line especially after having lurked on FWIS these many moons

Being a closet pervert
ducking and running I am pleading the 5th on the BABB. :D

Humphrey
2004-Nov-02, 02:28 PM

Being a closet pervert
ducking and running I am pleading the 5th on the BABB. :DYou are? Weird.....

F.A.Q. rule 5:
"Do not post copyrighted material here. It is within the law to post small, relevant quotes, but not whole passages from newspapers, magazines, books, etc. If you do, the post will be deleted, and you will be warned. This is very serious. I won't have anyone breaking the law on my site, especially copyright laws. Do it twice and you will be banned.

Candy
2004-Nov-02, 02:53 PM
You are? Weird..... My father says I'm eccentric. 8-[

Humphrey
2004-Nov-02, 05:39 PM
Just to add in, my above post was a joke playing on words. She said she pleaded the 5th...well so i quoted the 5th rule form the F.A.Q. :-)

Normandy6644
2004-Nov-02, 07:44 PM
Just to add in, my above post was a joke playing on words. She said she pleaded the 5th...well so i quoted the 5th rule form the F.A.Q. :-)

oooooooh. :P