PDA

View Full Version : Cities in Flight

Conrad
2002-Jun-07, 11:07 AM
Okie's on the big screen, anyone?

Just curious as to whether anyone here is familiar with James Blish's Okie series and whether they think "Earthman, Come Home" would make a good film. You'd have big spaceships, interplanetary conflict, politics, mysterious Vegans, a love triangle, planetary conflict and more big spaceships. Plus the spindizzy, which I like for the name alone.

And just so you know, I'm up to 0.40% of the board. Feeble, but I shall work at it!

The Curtmudgeon
2002-Jun-07, 08:53 PM
Certainly, one of my all-time favourite series. But mostly because of that, I dread seeing Hollywood try to adapt it to the big screen. First of all, you'd have to change the name to prevent offending all those good-hearted folks north of the Red River....

The (Steinbeck who?) Curtmudgeon

Zandermann
2002-Jun-08, 01:34 AM
On 2002-06-07 07:07, Conrad wrote:
Okie's on the big screen, anyone?

Just curious as to whether anyone here is familiar with James Blish's Okie series and whether they think "Earthman, Come Home" would make a good film. ...Wonderful idea, Conrad, but I'd have the same reservations as 'da Curtmudgeon'.

And now I have to go reread those books...

i,pinata
2002-Jun-10, 01:25 AM
Folks, what I want to see on the screen is The Devil's Day (Black Easter and The Day After Judgment). If fundamentalists had fits over Harry Potter, think of what they'd do confronted with Dr. Ware. Riots in the streets. We might indeed have the world's end on our hands. Like Baines, I can't wait to see it.

i,pinata
2002-Jun-10, 02:38 AM
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_redface.gif

The Devil's Day is a fantasy. Its astronomy is relatively ephemeral, but relevant throughout, insofar as the black and white magicians used modern astronomical knowledge to inform their astrological calculations, allowing them to determine the proper time to work their magic. Theron Ware was interested in quasars. Ancient and modern views of the physical universe and their troublesome reconciliation in the supernatural context of the novels generate some of the neat, imaginative energy I find in both books.

Pardon this rearguard action.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: i,pinata on 2002-06-10 12:54 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: i,pinata on 2002-06-10 12:55 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: i,pinata on 2002-06-11 04:05 ]</font>

Chip
2002-Jun-10, 06:23 AM
Another I'd be curious to see as a movie: The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. I believe it has in fact been optioned as a screenplay, but who knows if or when it would ever be filmed, not to mention how different the screenplay would be. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Jun-12, 10:12 AM
Well, if we're talking about turning Books into Movies, then I have, just one word for you:

Uplift!

Conrad
2002-Jun-12, 10:52 AM
On 2002-06-10 02:23, Chip wrote:
Another I'd be curious to see as a movie: The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. I believe it has in fact been optioned as a screenplay, but who knows if or when it would ever be filmed, not to mention how different the screenplay would be. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Knowing slightly more about film than I do about astronomy, I can say - don't expect to see it on the screen until you see it on the screen. There are a million steps along the way where a film can get binned before we see it (a.k.a. "Development Hell")

David Hall
2002-Jun-12, 03:58 PM
From the way Hollywood tends to put books through the ringer when they put them on film, I generally do NOT want to have my favorites turned into movies. Knowing that a great book has been turned into a lousy movie (Starship Troopers (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=144&forum=4) springs to mind) tends to make me break into a cold sweat.