PDA

View Full Version : dhmo(Dihydrogen Monoxide )

jenkswrester
2004-Nov-01, 09:27 PM
i would like anyones opinion on the sublect, like do you think it should or shouldn't be outlawed
:)

Russ
2004-Nov-01, 09:33 PM
i would like anyones opinion on the sublect, like do you think it should or shouldn't be outlawed
:)

Water is actually dihydrogen peroxide. I think it's all wet. ;) :D :lol:

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-01, 09:37 PM
There's been two or three previous threads on DHMO, but it did fool at least one poster who (briefly) became concerned about the stuff. :)

Humphrey
2004-Nov-01, 09:46 PM
I prefer it to be banned from the planet. All people found containing or seeking DHO should be jailed imediately.

:-P

Swift
2004-Nov-01, 10:07 PM
I prefer it to be banned from the planet. All people found containing or seeking DHO should be jailed imediately.
Well of course you'd say that after 4 storms drop all of that DHO on your state. Must have kept the HazMat crews busy for months :D

Glom
2004-Nov-02, 12:10 AM
DHMO can be used to make hydroxylic acid, which can be used to make megaton yielding nuclear weapons. Ban it! :D

Normandy6644
2004-Nov-02, 12:23 AM
It's a proven fact that DHMO kills. There would be no drowning without it.

Invader Spleen
2004-Nov-02, 02:12 AM
an episode of Penn and Teller springs to mind, they had a person going around an environmentalists gathering/protest getting them to sign a petition banning dhmo, and everyone signed it, no one asked what it was.

It makes me feel almost embarrassed

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-02, 02:15 AM
I remember that one. And they accosted one of the environmentalists at the end asking him if he'd be for banning water and he said no. Then after a few leading questions you saw the light going on in his head... :roll:

iFire
2004-Nov-02, 04:47 AM
How dare anyone let this dangerous chemical around our children! It can bore through rock! It can be fatal if only a small amount is inhaled! It can cause mad burns in its gaseous form! BAN THE DEVILSUBSTANCE :D :P

Normandy6644
2004-Nov-02, 05:06 AM
The Penn and Teller show is so good. I know we've discussed it, but it can't hurt to say it again. :D

Waarthog
2004-Nov-04, 04:53 PM
If its banned, where will I get my fix? I am thoroughly addicted to the stuff to the point that I could not live without it.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-04, 05:39 PM
If its banned, where will I get my fix? I am thoroughly addicted to the stuff to the point that I could not live without it.A shame really. Under my administration. I would give free programs to rid people of that nasty habit.

Van Rijn
2004-Nov-04, 08:17 PM
If its banned, where will I get my fix? I am thoroughly addicted to the stuff to the point that I could not live without it.A shame really. Under my administration. I would give free programs to rid people of that nasty habit.

Right. You just lost my vote. :wink:

Humphrey
2004-Nov-04, 08:22 PM
Who said i need people to vote? :-D

N C More
2004-Nov-05, 01:23 AM
Oh yeah, there's even a website (http://www.dhmo.org/). :roll:

Maksutov
2004-Nov-05, 06:29 AM

What are you, a turtle or a tortoise?

tracer
2004-Nov-05, 07:41 AM
Water is actually dihydrogen peroxide.
Now wait just a cotton-pickin' minute here!

According to Merriam-Webster online, peroxide means "a compound (as hydrogen peroxide) in which oxygen is visualized as joined to oxygen."

So for any molecule to have "peroxide" in its name, it's gotta have at least two oxygen atoms in it, and they've gotta be bonded to each other.

Our old friend DHMO's only got one oxygen atom, hence the "monoxide" designation.

Hydrogen Hydroxide -- now more than ever! (http://www.armory.com/~crisper/DHMO/)

PhantomWolf
2004-Nov-05, 09:44 AM
My biggest concern is here:

DHMO is present in nearly every creek, stream, pond, river, lake and reservoir in the U.S. and around the world.

What's in the ones that it isn't found in........ 8-[

kucharek
2004-Nov-05, 09:54 AM

DHMO is present in nearly every creek, stream, pond, river, lake and reservoir in the U.S. and around the world.

These are called "wadi". But even there, sometimes DHMO appears in large amounts. Martian environmentalists successfully got rid of most DHMO on Mars.

PhantomWolf
2004-Nov-05, 09:59 AM
I was a little bemused that the NZ Green Party is listed as a supporter. Explains their anti Hydro-power stance.

Weird Dave
2004-Nov-05, 02:18 PM
Don't forget that DHMO is both acidic AND alkaline. None of that "neutralising the acid burn with baking soda" antidote for DHMO!

Visit your local nuclear power station, and look at all the warm cooling water emerging from it. You will find it highly contaminated with DHMO. Worse, in the future we may be powering fusion reactors with an extract of DHMO. Just think of the energy stored in it! This proves it must be dangerous!

I am thoroughly addicted to the stuff to the point that I could not live without it.
[-X
Every hard-drug user started on DHMO. It is often mixed with alcohol to make potent intoxicating liquors. It is integral to the cultivation of the crops needed to make tobacco, cannabis, opium, heroin, cocaine, etc.

And, of course, it is the bane of all amateur astronomers, when huge clouds of the stuff float around in our atmosphere, hiding the stars. I hear that this is a problem in rural, as well as urban, areas.

BAN IT NOW!

Harvestar
2004-Nov-07, 07:55 AM

Dirt.

The things they call rivers around here. :roll:

mickal555
2004-Nov-07, 08:05 AM
Wait sereosly what is it, is it Hydrogen oxite?

Edit
:D wait... it is (di(two) hydrogen mon(one) oxigen)
I just relised I'm a genus :P
are these web-sites a joke :)

kucharek
2004-Nov-07, 10:02 AM
Wait sereosly what is it, is it Hydrogen oxite?

Edit
:D wait... it is (di(two) hydrogen mon(one) oxigen)
I just relised I'm a genus :P
are these web-sites a joke :)

You may like to seek Colt's company (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=127983#127983) :D

Harald,

poking in an old wound

mickal555
2004-Nov-07, 10:16 AM
Yeah but I worked it out myself :D I just thought I'd decypher the code :D I origany thout it was hevy water so I thought I'd find out what makes that up I did that........ wait its regular water.... :lol:

tracer
2004-Nov-08, 05:11 PM

Well, the great big lake at Bonneville is DHMO-free. And look at all the life-sustaining salt there!

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Nov-08, 05:23 PM
Well, the great big lake at Bonneville is DHMO-free.
Eh? It's mostly DHMO, I been there. shudder

tracer
2004-Nov-08, 05:25 PM
But then why do they call it the salt flats?

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Nov-08, 05:44 PM
Oh that lake, I thought you were talking about the lake. My bad. :)

Is there a Bonneville?

Glom
2004-Nov-09, 01:39 PM
AFAIK, there have been two cases of environmentalists falling for it. There was the incident in California where they were going to ban polystyrene cups. There was also an incident with an MP from the New Zealand Green party who expressed support for the ban DHMO campaign, although it seems it was actually just a secretary's fault.