PDA

View Full Version : *NOTICE* Changes in the forum

KnowTheCosmos
2012-Dec-30, 12:12 AM
As CosmoQuest moves forward and continues to not only build fantastic new Citizen Science programs, Science and Astronomy Audio and Video content, we will be shortly consolidating parts of the forum to make it much more efficient for our users to navigate as well as for our mod, admin, and build teams to manage.

In the next few weeks, you'll start seeing changes being done to the forum front end. Two very prominent changes will be the restructuring of multiple sub-forums into a more logical and efficient way to navigate as well as discontinuing the support and availability of the Legacy BAUT Forum Style.

We realize and understand that changes to any sort of structure can cause anxiety, and in some circumstances, negative feelings. However, we are all excited to see more remarkable things happening on the forum to reflect the forward momentum we're carrying into the new year with new Citizen Science projects and engaging broadcasts. Let's continue to advocate, celebrate and practice science, skepticism, logic, and reason together at CosmoQuest!

Best,
Scott Lewis
KnowTheCosmos
Forum Czar
Education & Public Outreach
CosmoQuest.org (http://www.cosmoquest.org)

AstroRockHunter
2012-Dec-30, 01:50 AM
... Two very prominent changes will be the restructuring of multiple sub-forums into a more logical and efficient way to navigate as well as discontinuing the support and availability of the Legacy BAUT Forum Style. ...

Best,
Scott Lewis
KnowTheCosmos
Forum Czar
Education & Public Outreach
CosmoQuest.org (http://www.cosmoquest.org)

Boy, that didn't take long.

caveman1917
2012-Dec-30, 02:05 AM
discontinuing the support and availability of the Legacy BAUT Forum Style.

Why? It's just the default vbulletin style, what harm could there be in keeping it? Restructuring the forums for more efficiency i can understand, but what is gained by removing the default style and forcing everyone to look at that red?

Van Rijn
2012-Dec-30, 02:40 AM
Why? It's just the default vbulletin style, what harm could there be in keeping it? Restructuring the forums for more efficiency i can understand, but what is gained by removing the default style and forcing everyone to look at that red?

I'm wondering - would it be difficult to add a "new style" option with blue instead of red? I've stayed with the old layout mainly because I don't care for the reddish-brown color scheme.

Moose
2012-Dec-30, 02:54 AM
[This is a test of the emergency gripe harrumphing system (EGHS). Had this been an actual gripe, it would have been a generic little-point-in-griping-eloquently gripe about still not seeing benefit to the membership from the merger, still losing ground on the 'pros vs cons' front, and still feeling like we're not being listened to very much.]

*Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*

[This has been a test of the emergency gripe harrumphing system (EGHS). We now return you to your regularly scheduled apathy already in progress.]

Gillianren
2012-Dec-30, 04:01 AM
I'm wondering - would it be difficult to add a "new style" option with blue instead of red? I've stayed with the old layout mainly because I don't care for the reddish-brown color scheme.

No, nor do I. It isn't just that blue is my favourite colour, though that's part of it. It's that I think the new default is ugly.

LookingSkyward
2012-Dec-30, 05:43 AM
In cyberspace, mo one can hear me whine...

mutleyeng
2012-Dec-30, 12:29 PM
think of it like they are bringing cosmoquest closer to you - you gotta expect a bit of redshift

geonuc
2012-Dec-30, 12:51 PM
In the next few weeks, you'll start seeing changes being done to the forum front end. Two very prominent changes will be the restructuring of multiple sub-forums into a more logical and efficient way to navigate as well as discontinuing the support and availability of the Legacy BAUT Forum Style.

How much input was received from the BAUT Forum administrators? I'd be a lot more comfortable if the restructuring was endorsed by ToSeek, antoniseb and Swift.

tusenfem
2012-Dec-30, 02:32 PM
How much input was received from the BAUT Forum administrators? I'd be a lot more comfortable if the restructuring was endorsed by ToSeek, antoniseb and Swift.

We are discussing it in the moderator forum, as we speak.

Solfe
2012-Dec-30, 02:38 PM
I can't complain about *fixing the structure* and order. The red is annoying, but what are the less prominent changes?

*edit - I consider any change to the order and structure a fix - a good thing. Pre-edit my post looked a little more negative.

R.A.F.
2012-Dec-30, 02:51 PM
think of it like they are bringing cosmoquest closer to you - you gotta expect a bit of redshift

I've actually don't notice the red, anymore...and I am reserving judgement on any "re-ordering" until I see the "results."

That's only fair.

Hlafordlaes
2012-Dec-30, 03:48 PM
Let's continue to advocate, celebrate and practice science, skepticism, logic, and reason together at CosmoQuest!

I don't know why, but I do that best with a default or blue color scheme, seemingly.

baskerbosse
2012-Dec-31, 02:52 AM

Shouldn't it be blueshifted then?
:-D

Ara Pacis
2012-Dec-31, 08:27 PM
I don't mind the red as long as they fix the link color. It's not a matter of aesthetics but of usability. see link, click link. Don't see link, won't click link.

mutleyeng
2012-Dec-31, 08:34 PM
Shouldn't it be blueshifted then?
:-D

urm..yeah, lolz...you are quite right.
Give me a few days I will try to think of a get out of jail excuse for that one

Infinity Watcher
2013-Jan-01, 12:00 AM
urm..yeah, lolz...you are quite right.
Give me a few days I will try to think of a get out of jail excuse for that one

That's simple, they're bringing it closer to us, we're just running away even faster :D

BetaDust
2013-Jan-01, 12:38 AM
We are discussing it in the moderator forum, as we speak.

That is nice to know.

But, could you PLEASE be more open to the rest of the BA/UT/CQ community about what exactly is going to happen with the board?

For example: Who is this Scott (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/member.php/212599-KnowTheCosmos)... he seems to be the new "Forum Czar". Why is that?

Last time I checked, Toseek and Antonisep where the "Forum Czar's".?

-- Dennis

Ara Pacis
2013-Jan-01, 03:44 AM
That is nice to know.

But, could you PLEASE be more open to the rest of the BA/UT/CQ community about what exactly is going to happen with the board?

For example: Who is this Scott (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/member.php/212599-KnowTheCosmos)... he seems to be the new "Forum Czar". Why is that?

Last time I checked, Toseek and Antonisep where the "Forum Czar's".?

-- Dennis

In Pamela's CosmoQuest, forum discusses you.

ToSeek
2013-Jan-01, 03:21 PM
That is nice to know.

Last time I checked, Toseek and Antoniseb where the "Forum Czar's".?

-- Dennis

This is kind of a difficult time of year to be dealing with forum issues as people are traveling or spending time with their families.

As for responsibilities, that's evolving a bit, but Antoniseb, Swift, and I have primary responsibility for this forum's day-to-day operation. KtC/Scott is here to support us in that and to relay issues we have to those who are in a position to do something about them, whether it's the technical crew or the people actually paying the bills. We'll make every effort to discuss issues that affect members with members before putting them in place, such as the reorganization of the forum (which should be on a much smaller scale than the last time we did this).

geonuc
2013-Jan-01, 05:03 PM
My question is answered. Thank you.

And Happy New Year. :)

Trebuchet
2013-Jan-02, 02:23 AM
I second the moton on the link color. It's really hard to see.

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Jan-02, 02:29 AM
This is kind of a difficult time of year to be dealing with forum issues as people are traveling or spending time with their families.

As for responsibilities, that's evolving a bit, but Antoniseb, Swift, and I have primary responsibility for this forum's day-to-day operation. KtC/Scott is here to support us in that and to relay issues we have to those who are in a position to do something about them, whether it's the technical crew or the people actually paying the bills. We'll make every effort to discuss issues that affect members with members before putting them in place, such as the reorganization of the forum (which should be on a much smaller scale than the last time we did this).

Thanks, ToSeek.

To add a bit more to it, you all will start seeing more of me in the public forum, especially as things in the admin/mod forums get addressed and worked out.

Quick bit about me (and i'll make a full post later when I'm not traveling, using someone's hotspot to get online):

I'm Scott Lewis. I'm on the Education & Public Outreach team at CosmoQuest. I also produce many of our Hangout On Air broadcasts as well as host them from time to time. Pamela has asked me to set aside some time to work more directly with the CQ/BAUT forums as the insane schedules of her, Phil and Fraser just do not allow them the time to be able to do so. I talk with Pamela and Fraser typically on a daily basis since we work on many different projects together.

That's about the quick and dirty of me right now. Thank you all for your feedback on issues that changes inevitably bring up. I've written them all down and they'll be discussed offline as well as online with the admin/mod team before any further changes are made.

Best,
Scott

BetaDust
2013-Jan-02, 06:35 AM
Thank you very much, ToSeek and Scott for the answers and keeping us informed.

Happy New Year!

-- Dennis

HenrikOlsen
2013-Jan-07, 09:40 AM
Main gripe from me this time is that you guys seem very fond of making changes at times where you're unable to address issues those changes bring about.