PDA

View Full Version : Need Image Help

drhaugh
2012-Dec-30, 10:48 PM
While strolling through the park today and counting craters (I'm very agile); I came across the attached image. If we assume that the top of the frame is the 12 o'clock position, at about the 10 o'clock spot there is a bright (light) object that appears rectangular, marker A on the image. I would have passed it off as a glitch except that the object appears to be casting a shadow.

Now if we move down to the 6 o'clock position at C and D there are what appear to be a pair of smaller rectangular reflecting objects. And, finally at the 7 o'clock position (marked as B) is another strange shape. I would have passed on this last one if it hadn't been for the other three.

Any (rational) thoughts out there? Inquiring minds' would like to know. Dave H

Solfe
2012-Dec-30, 11:41 PM
Just a guess on my part, but it looks like Lunokhod 1's final resting place.

drhaugh
2012-Dec-31, 06:22 AM
"Just a guess on my part, but it looks like Lunokhod 1's final resting place."

Solfe, you get the prize. With the hint of what to look for (Lunokhod 1) I was able to find enough images to confirm that the Russian Rover is what's we're seeing. That would place the image at 38.32507N, 324.9949E. Now I know I'm not seeing things! Thanks, Dave H

kmasterdo
2012-Dec-31, 03:03 PM
Congratulations on finding this! And thank you for sharing... :)

Solfe
2012-Dec-31, 03:05 PM
I happened to watch a TV show called "Moon Tank" or "Tanks on the Moon" and I remembered the name. Your image really looks like the one on Wikipedia.

Congratulations on the find!

astrostu
2013-Jan-01, 03:07 AM
Not to rain on the parade, but Apollo 15 region images are the only ones that are really in the queue right now. I think what you're seeing is boulders.

Solfe
2013-Jan-01, 04:33 AM
That's a shame. It really looked like the wiki image.

astrostu
2013-Jan-01, 06:03 AM
Similar, but not quite. The fresh crater just below the object in drhaugh's image isn't in the Lunokhod 1 site image.

drhaugh
2013-Jan-01, 07:57 AM
astrostu, Boy you really know how to take the steam out of 2012! Using the fact that you haven't even posted the appropriate images yet. Good thing we're starting a New year or I'd be really depressed. OK Guys and Gals I'm now ready to accept any (un) rational answer as to what the image may be. In the meantime I think I'll go play my new ukulele (I bought it this afternoon as a late Christmas present to myself). Best, Dave

kmasterdo
2013-Jan-02, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the clarification, astrostu. So it seems all we see in this image are boulders?

astrostu
2013-Jan-04, 04:14 PM
So it seems all we see in this image are boulders?

Yeah, I think the positive-relief features are boulders in this particular image.

The Frozen One
2013-May-20, 05:38 PM
Nice catch. I think I'll try to find it this weekend if the sky is clear.