PDA

View Full Version : Science Scouts?

Geekinthegarden
2013-Jan-02, 04:11 PM
As I've been pondering possible methods for organization of general science outreach one thought that has occurred to me, what about the scout model? Obviously, this would be oriented towards youth but would involve adults in leadership roles. Seems like it might be an interesting and fun way to do it with "merit" badges offered in the different areas of science?

KaiYeves
2013-Jan-03, 12:14 AM
It sounds like a good idea, I would have loved to have been part of such an organization in my pre-college days. (I feel old when I type that... they were only a year and a half ago!) The existing scout organizations do have science-related merit badges, but those are competing with all of the other badges for time and attention-- I don't think we did any when I was in Girl Scouts, although that was only for about two years.

Solfe
2013-Jan-03, 02:25 AM
The Cub Scouts have electives at most levels for astronomy and geology. Bears and higher (3rd grade and up) have specific actives for badges. At camp, we do star walks.

I am working on a project on constellations for the Wolves and Bears next week. I will post pictures when I can. It is often cloudy here in Buffalo and we can't always meet on a good seeing day.

Geekinthegarden
2013-Jan-03, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was a cub and boy scout myself but I think it might be interesting and helpful if there were an organization that identified primarily as a science-based entity. Perhaps it could be called Starfleet? :D I'll get right on it!!

Solfe
2013-Jan-03, 10:21 PM
Second Life has a Starfleet Academy. :)