PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin Pie Flies the Atlantic!!!

2004-Nov-03, 07:50 PM
Just to let y'all know that Candy is about to post me a pumpkin pie from Illinois...Well done candy, I hope it makes it in one piece...Thanks Candy!!

If she tells me her address, I'll reply with a haggis!!!

Wish the pie luck peeps... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sheki
2004-Nov-03, 07:58 PM
Best of luck! I understand (from some other posts) that you've never tried it. Well, believe me, they are much better than you might expect! I recommend serving with whipped cream on top.

:evil: Now you've got me craving!

Sheki

pumpkinpie
2004-Nov-03, 08:00 PM
Just to let y'all know that Candy is about to post me a pumpkin pie from Illinois...Well done candy, I hope it makes it in one piece...Thanks Candy!!

If she tells me her address, I'll reply with a haggis!!!

Wish the pie luck peeps... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AHHHH! I thought someone was putting me on a plane without my knowledge!! :lol:
Now that I think of it, it's been too long since I've been abroad....would you consider having a person shipped to you instead of an *actual* pie?

J/K. Enjoy. I assume you've never had it before??? It's DELISH!!!

--pumpkinpie

Humphrey
2004-Nov-03, 08:06 PM
Yuk.

[switches the pie for a Chocolate fudge cake]

Much better as a representative dessert. :-)

Ut
2004-Nov-03, 08:14 PM
No, no, no! Maple sugar pie! Maple sugar pie!

*drools and goes into diabetic shock*

2004-Nov-03, 08:14 PM
I've never tasted it before...I should have called this thread "Pie in the Sky", shouldn't I?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

Humphrey
2004-Nov-03, 08:15 PM
Where is the God of pies when we need him? 8)

Nuthing beats chocolate...except more chocolate. :-)

jfribrg
2004-Nov-03, 08:20 PM
Remember, a lot of pumpkin pie sold here in the States is actually made from Sweet Potatoes

2004-Nov-03, 08:21 PM
Where is the God of pies when we need him? 8)

Nuthing beats chocolate...except more chocolate. :-)

Who's that then - Fray Bentos?? :lol:

Parrothead
2004-Nov-03, 08:40 PM
All this talk about pumkin pies and chocolate...hmmm... time to make a dark chocolate and pumpkin cheesecake! Yum! :D

Humphrey
2004-Nov-03, 08:43 PM
Ba Witda :-D

But if you had to send one dessert as a representation of North Americans, Something unique to our continent. What would it be?

One obvious would be a pie. Some sort of fruit filling.

Do they have ice cream blends like banana splits and soda floats on the other side of the oceans?

P.S. The switch worked wonderfully. Plus a nice homepless man got a free dinner. :-)

Swift
2004-Nov-03, 08:43 PM
\Homer mode\
mmmmmm, pie
\Homer off\

Humphrey
2004-Nov-03, 08:44 PM
All this talk about pumkin pies and chocolate...hmmm... time to make a dark chocolate and pumpkin cheesecake! Yum! :D

Sigh....Cheesekake. the sofisticated mans bagel spread. :-P

Swift
2004-Nov-03, 09:15 PM
Remember, a lot of pumpkin pie sold here in the States is actually made from Sweet Potatoes
I've had both (and love both). At this local music festival I go to every year there is a church that sells the best Sweet Potatoe pies. I'm not sure how to describe the difference, but I think I know it. I'm game to judge the taste comparison. :D

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-03, 09:29 PM
Would you believe that was the first thing I thought. "Why is pumpkinpie starting a thread about flying across the Atlantic?" :lol:

As for pumpkin pie (the food), it is excellent, as I can attest (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=153609). :)

StarStuff
2004-Nov-03, 09:32 PM
Would you believe that was the first thing I thought. "Why is pumpkinpie starting a thread about flying across the Atlantic?" :lol:

Ditto. :lol: And then of course I looked to see who started the thread, and it wasn't even pumpkinpie.... :-? :P

Candy
2004-Nov-04, 01:00 AM
Here's what I bought at the store this morning...

1 - 30oz can Libby's Easy Pumpkin Pie Mix (just add eggs and evaporated milk)

1 - 5oz can of Nestle Carnation Evaporated Milk (Vitammin D added)

so all Pete needs is 2 large eggs and 1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell.

It won't be the best pumpkin pie in the world, but at least you'll get an idea of what it tastes like. The best kind is homemade from scratch. :P

I will pack it up tonight, and drop the package off at the post office tomorrow morning. :D

[edit to add - people often top the pie with whipped cream]

Candy
2004-Nov-04, 01:28 AM
I've never tasted it before...I should have called this thread "Pie in the Sky", shouldn't I?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: You still can change the thread name via edit. Poor pumpkinpie (the poster). :lol:

Parrothead
2004-Nov-04, 01:44 AM
Here's what I bought at the store this morning...

1 - 30oz can Libby's Easy Pumpkin Pie Mix (just add eggs and evaporated milk)

1 - 5oz can of Nestle Carnation Evaporated Milk (Vitammin D added)

so all Pete needs is 2 large eggs and 1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell.

It won't be the best pumpkin pie in the world, but at least you'll get an idea of what it tastes like. The best kind is homemade from scratch. :P

I will pack it up tonight, and drop the package off at the post office tomorrow morning. :D

[edit to add - people often top the pie with whipped cream]

From 1 can of filling, that should be enough for 2 pies, check directions on the side of the can. :wink:

Actually, with pumpkin pie, canned filling and filling from scratch isn't all that different. The difference is in the pie shell! That's where you find the difference, the flakiness of the crust made from scratch vs a store bought, ready made shell. I have put a pie from scratch and one baked with filling side by side, hard to tell the difference in the filling. I was using E.D. Smith brand filling. :P

paulie jay
2004-Nov-04, 02:53 AM
Well I love pumpkin and I sure love pies! I'm sure that the combination of the two must be a culinary masterpiece!

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-04, 03:40 AM
A, pumpkin pie, undoubtedly the best of pies. Made even better if you have some cinnamon ice cream handy (kinda like punch on the other side of the pond) but pity it's none to common.

Candy
2004-Nov-04, 04:22 AM
Well I love pumpkin and I sure love pies! I'm sure that the combination of the two must be a culinary masterpiece! Maybe we should start sponsoring each other sending the unknown. 8-[

Tell you what, paulie jay, if you want me to send you the same - PM me your address. :D

Careless
2004-Nov-04, 10:16 AM
Well I love pumpkin and I sure love pies! I'm sure that the combination of the two must be a culinary masterpiece! Maybe we should start sponsoring each other sending the unknown. 8-[

Tell you what, paulie jay, if you want me to send you the same - PM me your address. :D
As a chicagoan, you should be introducing these people to real pizza. I won't rest until I can find a decent pizza in states not bordering northern IL!

pumpkinpie
2004-Nov-04, 02:08 PM
I've never tasted it before...I should have called this thread "Pie in the Sky", shouldn't I?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: You still can change the thread name via edit. Poor pumpkinpie (the poster). :lol:

Noooo....I like the attention! :wink:

Candy
2004-Nov-04, 04:12 PM
Well, the package has been mailed. It should arrive in 10 days (business days, I presume). I meant to include a personal note, but I forgot. :evil:

I sure hope Pete Tattum knows how to bake. :D

My return address will be on the box, so don't open it like a Christman present.

Krevel
2004-Nov-04, 04:18 PM
I used to like pumpkin pie; that is, until I had a sweet potato pie baked by a real Southerner. Boy, is that good!

Some like theirs with whipped cream, some with ice cream. Of course, both is pretty good , too. Definitely warm it up first.

BTW, my dad likes apple pie with cheddar cheese on it! Is that weird or what!?!

I do hope that your pie makes it alright. Having seen how those baggage handlers operate, I think you'll be lucky if it even resembles a pie when it gets there! Best of luck!

Candy
2004-Nov-04, 04:32 PM
I used to like pumpkin pie; that is, until I had a sweet potato pie baked by a real Southerner. Boy, is that good!

Some like theirs with whipped cream, some with ice cream. Of course, both is pretty good , too. Definitely warm it up first.

BTW, my dad likes apple pie with cheddar cheese on it! Is that weird or what!?!

I do hope that your pie makes it alright. Having seen how those baggage handlers operate, I think you'll be lucky if it even resembles a pie when it gets there! Best of luck!
:lol: :lol:
The package only contains the two cans needed to make the pie. Pete will have to mix it (with 2 eggs) and bake it (with a pie crust).

I have never had a sweet potato pie. :(
I have never had apple pie with cheddar cheese, but it sounds tempting. :P

Careless, let's keep the pizza talk low key. That would be a mess to send a frozen pizza. It could be done, but the cost.

tlbs101
2004-Nov-04, 04:36 PM
I was wondering about that. I thought you might have actually used FedEx or UPS overnight to ship an actual pie.

I doubt it would have made it in one piece -- it would have been a mess.

2004-Nov-04, 05:28 PM
In a way, I'm rather relieved it's coming pre-cooked: I had wondered just what would arrive at my end, after American & British postal workers/airport baggage-handlers had done their bit... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or should that be bits?? 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

Candy
2004-Nov-04, 05:35 PM
It's in cans! :lol:
Don't make me come over there! :wink:
The above is a popular saying in the USA.

2004-Nov-04, 05:38 PM
It's in cans! :lol:
Don't make me come over there! :wink:
The above is a popular saying in the USA.

You'd be more than welcome, d'ya know?? :D :D :D :D :D 8-[

sarongsong
2004-Nov-07, 03:53 AM
...I should have called this thread "Pie in the Sky", shouldn't I??
Air Mail Special Delivery: Punkin Chunkin Record (http://www.distant.ca/UselessFacts/fact.asp?ID=145) 4,860 feet...
http://extremz.com/main/archive/alternative/punkinchunk8.jpg

2004-Nov-07, 06:55 PM
With any luck, Candy's Condiments will be here tomorow...

Can I wait that long? :wink: :wink:

Candy
2004-Nov-07, 08:27 PM
With any luck, Candy's Condiments will be here tomorow...

Can I wait that long? :wink: :wink:
Make sure you read the label before baking. You can make 1 - 4 cup pie or 2 - 2 cup pies depending on the pie shell(s) you purchase. And don't forget, you need 2 eggs. :P

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-08, 11:51 AM
Last Saturday I attended a birthday dinner at a local restuarant (about 15 people). I and another Canadian ordered pumpkin pie for desert and a British gentleman sitting next to me mentioned that he had never tasted pumpkin pie. We gave him some and he liked it. 8)

Candy
2004-Nov-08, 11:55 AM
Has it been 10 days? 8-[

I sure hope Pete likes it.

BlueAnodizeAl
2004-Nov-08, 01:45 PM
Speaking of pumpkin pie, I went to Olive Garden for dinner Friday night and had their pumpkin cheese cake for desert, talk about awesome food!

pumpkinpie
2004-Nov-08, 01:49 PM
Speaking of pumpkin-flavored consumables---Saturday night I had a Pumpkin Ale at a local Brewery (Ellicott City, MD)--very tasty! A little more bitter than I like beer to be, but it had a very distinct pumpkin aftertaste!

BlueAnodizeAl
2004-Nov-08, 02:52 PM
Speaking of pumpkin-flavored consumables---Saturday night I had a Pumpkin Ale at a local Brewery (Ellicott City, MD)--very tasty! A little more bitter than I like beer to be, but it had a very distinct pumpkin aftertaste!

That sounds great! Where can I get my hands on some of that?

StarStuff
2004-Nov-08, 03:05 PM

I can just see the next thread title: "Pumpkin Ale Flies Cross-Country!". :P :lol:

Seriously though, it does sound good - really good! Maybe you could send me some as well.... :wink:

Parrothead
2004-Nov-08, 03:22 PM

Hmmm, I'm going to have to search what the smaller breweries are brewing. Pumpkin Ale does sound interesting. :P

pumpkinpie
2004-Nov-08, 04:00 PM

I can just see the next thread title: "Pumpkin Ale Flies Cross-Country!". :P :lol:

Seriously though, it does sound good - really good! Maybe you could send me some as well.... :wink:

Well, I'll send you their link, at least! They call themselves the "best brewing company east of the Mississippi!" (hmmm....even though it's about 3 miles from where I live, I didn't even know it existed until almost a year after I moved there!)
www.ellicottmillsbrewing.com/

It's not a great website to navigate, and I didn't find the Pumpkin Ale mentioned at all. But it is at the restaurant presently, and at least you can email them if you really want to find out more.

StarStuff
2004-Nov-08, 04:43 PM
Thanks, pumpkinpie! It's something to look into, anyway; I'll also have to see what the microbreweries around here are producing, since I admit I'm not really up on the latest types of beer. I feel inspired to learn more now, anyway. :)

2004-Nov-08, 06:19 PM
Candy's lovely pie [Or, should that be lovely Candy's pie? :D ] hasn't made its Atlantic crossing yet...Never mind though - tomorrow's another day.... :D :D :D :D

PS: the paper on WW1 warplanes was brilliant. No wonder she got 100%!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Swift
2004-Nov-08, 09:12 PM
This is off topic (and this is such a serious topic :wink: ), but I had to share this....

From the CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/11/08/candy.confusion.ap/index.html) website.

Headline

Candy creates confusion in Arkansas schools
Makes you wonder about what our Chicago contributor is doing down there. 8-[

Excerpt from article

LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas (AP) -- Arkansas teachers have been told they can continue to reward students with candy, despite a state battle against childhood obesity in schools.
:roll: Sorry Candy, I couldn't resist :oops:

Candy
2004-Nov-08, 09:40 PM
Makes you wonder about what our Chicago contributor is doing down there. 8-[ Kids Held Up At Gunpoint For Candy (http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2496377&nav=LUERSXEv) in Central Ohio. Itís nice to be popular around the country. :D

Swift
2004-Nov-08, 10:45 PM
Makes you wonder about what our Chicago contributor is doing down there. 8-[ Kids Held Up At Gunpoint For Candy (http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2496377&nav=LUERSXEv) in Central Ohio. Itís nice to be popular around the country. :D
That story is so sweat (not). :evil:

2004-Nov-09, 06:44 AM

My, you have been busy!! :lol: :lol:

2004-Nov-09, 05:09 PM
NEWSFLASH!!!!!!

The pumpkin has landed....Thanks to the lovely Candy of the pie!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Take no notice of me, mate; get on with those studies... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Candy
2004-Nov-09, 06:12 PM
...I should have called this thread "Pie in the Sky", shouldn't I??
Air Mail Special Delivery: Punkin Chunkin Record (http://www.distant.ca/UselessFacts/fact.asp?ID=145) 4,860 feet...
http://extremz.com/main/archive/alternative/punkinchunk8.jpg
Next year, I think I will try something different. 8-[

Now, get to baking! Everyone is dying to know what you think. :D

2004-Nov-09, 07:40 PM
I'll get some pastry tomorrow my darling...never fear. I'll let you know if we liked it. :D :D :D

Never fear, I'm sure that we will!!! =D>

tlbs101
2004-Nov-19, 12:37 AM
So, We are all waiting...

We want to know what you think of Americam pumpkin pie.

(I assume I am speaking for more on this board, than just me).

dvb
2004-Nov-19, 07:31 AM
Who here has tried pumpkin bread? Similar to banana bread loafs, only 10x better tasting. I was skeptical the first time I tried it, but once I did, I'll never look at banana bread the same again.

As for baking and flakyness of the pie, make sure you use a good lard like tenderflake if you have that in the UK. Just don't use generic lard, or substitue with margarine or butter. It makes all the difference.

Careless
2004-Nov-19, 07:47 AM
Who here has tried pumpkin bread? Similar to banana bread loafs, only 10x better tasting. I was skeptical the first time I tried it, but once I did, I'll never look at banana bread the same again.
Good stuff. Very good. Which is making me think of sweet potato muffins, which are great and I make for thanksgiving.

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Nov-19, 08:21 AM
...mmm...punkin pie...punkin bread...

Y'all can keep the haggis, though...

2004-Nov-19, 09:59 AM
Sorry guys...especially Candy! :oops: I couldn't find the thread when I looked...

The PP was lovely. No wonder you Americans are so fond of the stuff. Some time in the very-near future [when she has finished her studies and graduated], I'll be sending Candy something Scottish/English to try. :D :D :D

It all depends on Candy's predelictions..? :D :D :D :D

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-19, 11:48 AM
Steak and kidney pie! :D

2004-Nov-19, 12:01 PM
I don't mind the steak Triangleman - but, I can't stand kidney!! :lol:

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-19, 12:14 PM
I don't mind the steak Triangleman - but, I can't stand kidney!! :lol:
Well perhaps Candy would like some? [-(

Wally
2004-Nov-19, 12:44 PM
Pete. You did top the pie with whipped cream, right? That's the only way to eat pumkin pie, in my opinion. . .

BlueAnodizeAl
2004-Nov-19, 12:48 PM
Pete. You did top the pie with whipped cream, right? That's the only way to eat pumkin pie, in my opinion. . .

barbaric to do otherwise...

2004-Nov-19, 12:49 PM
Triangleman,

I'd give Candy a kidney anytime...

Wally,

Oops, but it was nice enough without it!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Candy
2004-Nov-19, 12:57 PM
I'll be sending Candy something Scottish/English to try. :D :D :D Will it have a Scottish/English accent? :wink:

2004-Nov-19, 01:10 PM
If you'll let me have your 'phone number, I can give you something with an English accent..Unfortunatley, I can't do Scottish. :oops:

How goes the studying?? :D

Candy
2004-Nov-19, 01:22 PM
If you'll let me have your 'phone number, I can give you something with an English accent..Unfortunatley, I can't do Scottish. :oops:

How goes the studying?? :D Phone number? Hmmm, tempting. :P

4 more classes after this session, and I am done! This is just a bit much with the homework load. I hope my stress doesn't show to much with my posts.

I was so burnt out studying yestesday, that I took a break. I am actually ahead with homework, so a day of rest was great. Well, kind of rest. I took my car to get an oil change, tires rotated, visor screw fixed (it was loose), and there was a rattling noise under the mainframe area. Well, the catalytic converter was loose, so they replaced it since it was under warantee. Oil change and visor tightened went well. The dealership broke my left rear wheel stud (whatever that is), so they gave me a rental. I was at that dealership for 5 hours. Then the rent-a-car had no fuel in it. :evil:

2004-Nov-19, 02:35 PM
Sounds like "Sod's Law" does that, Cand...

Never mind - all that hard study will soon be out-of-the-way. You'll be able to take a well-earned rest. :D :D :D :D

You deserve it, Candy Stair BSc... =D> =D> =D>

Bawheid
2004-Nov-19, 02:40 PM
You deserve it, Candy Stair BSc... =D> =D> =D>

Bronze Swimming Certificate?

Runs and hides........

2004-Nov-19, 02:43 PM
You've been watching Red Dwarf haven't you Bawheid?? :lol: :lol:

Don't blame you, mind... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bawheid
2004-Nov-19, 02:45 PM
You've been watching Red Dwarf haven't you Bawheid?? :lol: :lol:

Don't blame you, mind... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I knew I got it from somewhere, Red Dwarf it is. :D

Wally
2004-Nov-19, 02:51 PM
The dealership broke my left rear wheel stud (whatever that is), so they gave me a rental. :evil:

I may be wrong here, but I'm thinking the studs are the "bolts" that stick out of the hub that your wheel gets screwed to. For obvious reasons, they're pretty stout (hate to have them all break off while doing 70 down the road!). Wonder what they did to break yours off???

Candy
2004-Nov-19, 07:54 PM
The dealership broke my left rear wheel stud (whatever that is), so they gave me a rental. :evil:

I may be wrong here, but I'm thinking the studs are the "bolts" that stick out of the hub that your wheel gets screwed to. For obvious reasons, they're pretty stout (hate to have them all break off while doing 70 down the road!). Wonder what they did to break yours off??? The paper work just states...

....71816 ROTATE TIRES - ADJUST TIRE PRESSURE LEFT REAR
....WHEEL STUD BROKEN - R&R REAR BRAKES TO REMOVE BROKEN STUD - REPLACE
....STUD
Come to think of it, I think they did this before when they replaced my break pads. :o

Wally
2004-Nov-22, 12:57 PM
Hmmmm. And how much extra do they charge you for replacing the mysteriously broken stud each time??? Kinda makes one wonder. . .

:-?

Candy
2004-Nov-22, 02:15 PM
Hmmmm. And how much extra do they charge you for replacing the mysteriously broken stud each time??? Kinda makes one wonder. . .

:-? They charged me $64.99.

I see I was charged for MISC. HARDWARE, CLEANERS AND CHEMICAL WASTE $4.92

Change engine oil - $29.78

Rotate tires - $24.95
Repair work $3.41 <--- I should not have been charged for this!!!!

Does that equate to $64.99? (tax was $1.93)

I don't think this adds up. The rental was $30 bucks, which I better not see a bill for it on my credit card statement (since they took it for whatever reason). I did not get the extra insurance that they kept pressuring me to take.

sarongsong
2004-Nov-27, 01:57 AM
Left-over pumpkins recipe (http://avweb.com/news/skywrite/188626-1.html):
"...The B-25 descended slightly and, just before the target zone, opened its bomb bay doors and from its belly countless orbs dropped...A single pumpkin impact sounds like a distant mortar round. First, there's the sight of the explosion and then the sound hits you with a "Fwump!" I'm told that a watermelon comes close, and a bushelful of zucchini can make you take notice. But the pumpkin is surprisingly concussive when it smacks dirt. Now, imagine a whole bellyload of pumpkins tumbling from a bomber and raining upon the target, striking within microseconds of each other: "Fwump, fwump... Fwump! Fwump-whump!..."