PDA

View Full Version : pH lab

Brady Yoon
2004-Nov-04, 04:19 AM
Can anyone think of a lab that has anything to do with pH? It can be anything, and I need to write a lab report. Help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Musashi
2004-Nov-04, 04:21 AM
Test the pH of common household goods? Maybe set it up by picking a number of items and guessing their pH, then test it, then compare your guesses with the observations.

Candy
2004-Nov-04, 04:25 AM
OT: Remember when Brady Yoon mixed cement in his mother's best cooking pan? :lol:

At least, I think it was cement.

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-04, 04:33 AM
I once had to do a lab that showed which antiacid was the most effective. Basically you take an acid and put the various branded tablets in to neutralize a certain amount of acid, then test pH to see which one's the best.

Swift
2004-Nov-04, 01:42 PM
I saw a science fair project years ago titled "The effect of pH on bio-availability". It has to do with the fact that the blood pH can effect how certain drugs work. The student demonstrated this by putting goldfish is bowls where the water was buffered to various pHs (all around 7). They then added a poison to the water and noted how much poison it took to kill the fish. The amount varied with pH. The poison they used - ethanol (apparently it is toxic to fish). So much for "drinks like a fish". I thought it was an excellent project.

Wally
2004-Nov-04, 04:32 PM
Get an aquarium and load it up with different species of fish. slowly increase the acidity in measured doses and record which species die at what level.

. . . hey! He asked man! :)

[editted for clarity. . .]

John Jones
2004-Nov-04, 05:03 PM
Make your own pH indicator from red cabbage (boil it in water, IIRC), and record the different colors it displays at different pH.

Some photos might make a nice touch.