PDA

View Full Version : We (Canada) now have a flu vaccine shortage

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Nov-04, 11:05 AM
We (Canada) now have a flu vaccine shortage because our government promised 1,000,000 doses to the U.S.. Very poor planning. :(

This is likely to be considered political by Phil and I apologize in advance.

Candy
2004-Nov-04, 11:07 AM
Looks like we need to head to the UK. #-o

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Nov-04, 11:14 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/11/03/flu041103.html

Candy
2004-Nov-04, 11:22 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/11/03/flu041103.html

Every year, more than 2,500 Nova Scotians are admitted to hospital because of flu complications, and more than 400 people die. I wonder what the statistics were before the introduction of the flu shot. :-k

frogesque
2004-Nov-04, 11:28 AM
Looks like we need to head to the UK. #-o

Might as well, you can get flu here for free without an injection.

NHS on the other hand will provide anti flu vaccine for vulnerable groups; 60+, diabetic, immune suppressed, etc.

Canada sending vaccine to the States may not be the headline it appears. The vaccine is specific for each type of flu bug varient so if the first outbreak occurs in another country then it makes sense to protect the vulnerable there while worldwide stocks are built up and distributed.

For most people a dose of flu is NOT life threatening and it makes more sense to allow the body's own defences to take care of it, strengthening the immune system longer term.

Wally
2004-Nov-04, 01:40 PM
I don't think your immune system would be any stronger for fighting the flu "naturally" as opposed with getting the vaccine. Both introduce the virus to your system, the later just in a "dead" or similar state so that it doesn't reproduce into a full fledged "flu". I would think your immune system would respond the same regardless.

That said, I was ticked-off when the whole vaccine thing became an issue in the (now past) presidential election. . . Who the heck ever said it was the Government's job to protect us from the flu???? Arrrggg!