PDA

View Full Version : Prescription Glasses for Dogs

Candy
2004-Nov-04, 04:15 PM
Prescription Glasses for Dogs (http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pub&dt=041104&cat=scitech&st=scitechbecker_ dog_glasses_041029&src=abc) :o

Now dogs may face the backyard taunt of being called "four-eyes." Or you may see a blind dog walking down the street wearing stereotypical dark glasses. No, I'm not kidding.
Seeing Eye People! 8)

Krevel
2004-Nov-04, 04:21 PM
How do you know if your dog needs glasses?

Does it squint? Does he hold the newspaper really far away when he reads???

Cylinder
2004-Nov-04, 04:27 PM
My American Eskimo Spitz became blind during the last few years of her life. We had her put down at 16. Cheka did fine as long as furniture wasn't moved. Whenever I took her to an unfamiliar environment, I was happy to serve as her helper.

It's been 5 years and I still miss her from time-to-time, but she had a great and long life so I'm thrilled to have been her best friend. I should have kept a puppy, though.

sts60
2004-Nov-04, 05:37 PM
Dogs adapt remarkably well to all sorts of disabilties, to the point where they don't seem to even notice. Deafness doesn't faze them (we had a cocker spaniel that went deaf but at the same time could sense a marshmallow hitting the floor from the other side of the house :D ). Our Golden's vision has gotten worse, but aside from peering suspiciously at possible dogs-at-a-distance (mailboxes, trash cans, bushes), she's fine. We fostered a puppy who had his right front leg removed, and after a period of wiping out in sharp turns (reaction: "huh?") he was able to race along and navigate stairs pretty easily.

Candy
2004-Nov-04, 06:05 PM
I love all animals.

I always protect animals and children from harm that best I can. I am not the normal 'if you ignore it, it will go away' kind of gal. I act on abuse. :evil:

What does this have to do with the topic? Nothing.

I hate when I see (especially) dogs riding in the car driving down the road. I know it looks innocent. [-X

In just the last 2 weeks, my cousin was driving from North Dakota to Indiana. He was involved in a car accident. His dog was killed. I don't like these kind of stories. :evil:

2004-Nov-04, 06:27 PM
How do you ask a dog, which one is better??? =D>

ktesibios
2004-Nov-04, 09:24 PM
I don't know about glasses, but I've seen a sort of doggie wheelchair in action.

The dog was one of the little yappy varieties; his hindquarters were strapped into a sort of two-wheeled carriage with his apparently paralyzed hind legs sticking out behind, and he pulled himself along with his forelegs.

I used to see him out for a wheel with his human almost every afternoon. He moved along pretty quickly and looked like he was having a good time.

edited to fix speling difficluties

Careless
2004-Nov-04, 09:48 PM
Dogs adapt remarkably well to all sorts of disabilties, to the point where they don't seem to even notice. Deafness doesn't faze them (we had a cocker spaniel that went deaf but at the same time could sense a marshmallow hitting the floor from the other side of the house :D ). Our Golden's vision has gotten worse, but aside from peering suspiciously at possible dogs-at-a-distance (mailboxes, trash cans, bushes), she's fine. We fostered a puppy who had his right front leg removed, and after a period of wiping out in sharp turns (reaction: "huh?") he was able to race along and navigate stairs pretty easily.
:lol: I have a cocker spaniel, 15 years old now. Totally deaf, and yeah, he's really good at feeling vibrations in the floor. But mianly he uses the other (younger) dog as his ears, chasing her around. He's also had ACL surgery and he's epileptic and going blind. Poor guy

Hamlet
2004-Nov-05, 02:14 PM
If glasses were available to Mr. Peabody (http://www.toonopedia.com/peabody.htm), they should be made available to dogs of lesser intellectual prowess. :lol:

Parrothead
2004-Nov-05, 04:45 PM
If glasses were available to Mr. Peabody (http://www.toonopedia.com/peabody.htm), they should be made available to dogs of lesser intellectual prowess. :lol:

:lol: Ahh memories, Peabody and the wayback machine, was right up there with with "Fractured Fairy Tales" (my favourite from the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show) and "Aesop's Fables". :P