PDA

View Full Version : Alien (film series) - What if...?

MarianoRF
2013-Jan-11, 11:52 AM
Last week, I saw (once again) Alien (1979) and Aliens (1986). I have to say that I'm a big fan and admirer of these films and the story, and the more I watch them, the more I like them. The thing is... I was thinking in the real chances of finding some kind of organism like that.

The Alien seems to adapt to very different types of environments without a problem. In LV-426, the atmosphere was toxic and unbreathable for humans, but not for the Xenomorph. Then, it could breath the oxygen in Nostromo spaceship, and this was mentioned by Ash. In the last movie (Alien Resurrection), we even saw the Aliens swimming.

Acid for blood: this would probe that Aliens are based on a complete different chemistry than our's, and when I think of this, Saturn's moon Titan comes to my mind.

So, my questions are: could be there an organism which is able to adapt smoothly to so many different environments? What kind of life-form would be able to do that? How far away is our imagination from a real Alien organism?

JustAFriend
2013-Jan-11, 02:24 PM
Since we have never encountered an alien lifeform, we cannot say what can and cannot be.
Sci-fi lets us run wild with our imaginations to explore what we don't know.

What we have learned, however, is that life is tenacious and finds ways to survive that does surprise us.

eburacum45
2013-Jan-11, 02:31 PM
The absurdly complicated life cycle of the Xenomorph species is unlikely to be practical. if wer include the even more complex arrangements that have been described in the recent film Prometheus, then the problems seem even more profound.
Here's a diagram (from somewhere on the internet) of the apparent relationship between the different elements of the story in Prometheus:
http://biggap.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/prometheus-origin.jpg

However, there is a possible reason for such an elaborate biological strategy. If the Xenomorphs were deliberately designed to be weapons to be used against an advanced civilisation, then perhaps the baroque life cycle is deliberately designed to confuse. It might even be deliberately random. It's a strategy I call Baroquification, and it might be effective against an opponent who tries to model and anticipate an opponent's strategy by using reasonableness and logic.

The idea of a species that can adapt to many different environments doesn't seem so far-fetched to me; after all, the genetic information needed to create any random animal's body can be contained within a microscopic speck; it wouldn't really take up much more room to include a selection of other designs in there as well, to be expressed whenever circumstances demand them.

Gomar
2013-Jan-13, 01:58 AM
Prometheus wasnt half bad. The FX were cool, the plot a bit confusing. I am looking forward to part II.

Markus Hanke
2013-Jan-13, 09:49 AM
The absurdly complicated life cycle of the Xenomorph species is unlikely to be practical.

Very good point.

Githyanki
2013-Jan-15, 08:28 AM
Given that HR Giger specifically designed the face-hugger to fit on a human face, they are clearly bio-weapons as revealed in the not-so-good, but the producers thought they were brilliant, Prometheus. Given in all four films, the aliens specifically kill off their prey/host populations much more efficiently than a virus, gives weight to the concern that they may not be natural. The only known predators of the Aliens are in fact, the Predators...

Ronald Brak
2013-Jan-15, 09:44 AM
Prometheus wasnt half bad. The FX were cool, the plot a bit confusing. I am looking forward to part II.

I agree with you that Prometheus wasn't half bad. I'd say it was more about 94%.

But don't pay any attention to me. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I just don't like movies that much, I guess. I started watching Looper the other day and I realized, "Hey, this is a good movie!" And I immediately ejected it and packed it away. I wasn't willing to give it a chance to ruin my good opinion of it.