PDA

View Full Version : Tombstone (the movie) question. . .

Wally
2004-Nov-05, 01:30 PM
I just bought the DVD, as this movie ranks right up there as far as Westerns go (Val Kilmer makes the movie as Doc H.). Even though I've seen it several times now, I'm still puzzled by one of the last scenes. After Wyatt leaves Doc after visiting him at the Sanitarium, Doc looks down at his feet sticking out of the covers at the end of the bed and says something like "well I'll be damned. . . .(something)".

What does he say here, and what's the meaning of it??? It plays like a reference to something he may have said earlier in the movie, but I haven't been able to make the link. The only thing I can come up with is he's commenting on dieing with his boots off instead of on (a cliche' in US westerns for you foreigners. . .).

Is this all it is, or is there something I'm missing???

Parrothead
2004-Nov-05, 04:34 PM
I think the rest of his comment was something like "this is funny". I always took it as a reference, to the irony, of his dying a slow death in a bed (with his boots off) rather than quickly and violently in a shoot-out.

Wolverine
2004-Nov-05, 04:38 PM
Ditto.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Nov-06, 02:52 AM
What, the dvd doesn't have English subtitles? Does it have French?

Candy
2004-Nov-06, 04:27 AM
What, the dvd doesn't have English subtitles? Does it have French? You sure do like French, don't you? :wink:

SeanF
2004-Nov-06, 05:54 AM
All right, smart guy . . . in the movie "At First Sight," with Mira Sorvino and Val Kilmer (what, him again?), there's a scene about 20 minutes into the movie where they go into an abandoned building to get out of the rain. They talk about the sound of the rain.

Mira's character says something. Val says, "What's that?" and she says, "It's an architectural term. It means to share a feeling."

What's the word she says, the architectural term? It sounds almost like "ein furon" or something.

The DVD has both English and French subtitles, but that single term is not on either of them. His asking what she said and her reply about what it means, yes. The term itself, no. :D

ktesibios
2004-Nov-07, 04:51 PM
"This is funny" is said to have been the last words of the real Holliday.

Whether true historicallyor not, the story's been around for a long time, so that's probably what the line in the movie was.

Wally
2004-Nov-08, 05:20 PM

Call me a slave to VHS if you want, but this never occurred to me!

Guess it's time I wake up and start taking full advantage of our latest technology!!!

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Nov-08, 05:40 PM
let us know if you find out anything :)