PDA

View Full Version : Platypus - Sex Demon

Colt
2004-Nov-06, 08:48 AM
I couldn't think of anything else for the title, but it drew you in here, right?

It's official - the platypus is weird (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200410/s1226827.htm). I think the article says all that needs to be said. I wonder if there are any other species that exhibit this same chracteristic? The first thing I thought of when I read it was "Star Trek". :P

Grr... For some reason I keep getting logged out. It seems I have to log in to do every little thing unless I click the "log me in automaticly" button. Bah. - Colt

kucharek
2004-Nov-06, 08:54 AM
Grr... For some reason I keep getting logged out. It seems I have to log in to do every little thing unless I click the "log me in automaticly" button. Bah. - Colt

Same with me sometimes. I've not yet found a pattern for when it works and when not.

Crazieman
2004-Nov-06, 09:54 AM
Definitely the standard joke of God having leftover animal parts and decided to assemble them together.

mickal555
2004-Nov-06, 10:58 AM
I love platypus.... there cute but very venomous so please if you see one in the wild don't touch I think they have the most painful venom of all animals.

Ut
2004-Nov-06, 12:08 PM
Beware the Wild Alaskan Platypus!

Candy
2004-Nov-06, 06:14 PM
What, no sex? :evil:

(just kidding)

2004-Nov-06, 06:23 PM
I think I'll pass on the platypus... :o :lol:

Wolverine
2004-Nov-06, 07:43 PM
I couldn't think of anything else for the title, but it drew you in here, right?

False advertising. :^o

frogesque
2004-Nov-07, 12:49 PM
Well, when you live in a weird place like Australia...

Morrolan
2004-Nov-07, 01:10 PM
males are poisonous. they're very shy, so chances of an encounter are rare.

i count myself fortunate to have seen and photographed them in the wild.

mickal555
2004-Nov-07, 01:34 PM
I see them occasionally I havenít photon captured them yet though I remember seeing a family at a winery they had a wine named after them. And surprisingly there were some in our local pollution dump (creek) alive and well... come to think of it there were also eels and turtles in there and dingoís, ducks, thylacine, snakes, kuloo birds, magpies, ants ect...

Gullible Jones
2004-Nov-07, 06:10 PM
Pretty bizarre. :o

(Yes, the platypus is venemous. The males have spikes on their rear feet which inject a venom that is very painful to humans and capable of killing smaller mammals. The only other venemous warm-blooded creature is a certain kind of shrew.)

John Jones
2004-Nov-07, 06:22 PM
Hyenas are pretty weird too. The females have a penis.

Cuttlefish too! If I was a sci-fi writer, I'd have a hard time coming up with something as strange as a cuttlefish. Some of them communicate by changing body colors in a complex manner.

mickal555
2004-Nov-07, 08:21 PM
8-

What the...............?
[quote="John Jones"]
Cuttlefish too! If I w0s a sci-fi writer, I'd have a hard time coming up with something as strange as a cuttlefish. Some of them communicate by changing body colors in a complex manner.
What about sea jellies

Hutch
2004-Nov-08, 01:43 AM

I may be wrong, but I think it more an overly large Clitoris, rather than a functional penis.

Cuttlefish too! If I was a sci-fi writer, I'd have a hard time coming up with something as strange as a cuttlefish. Some of them communicate by changing body colors in a complex manner.

And quite intelliigent (in a cuttlefish sort of way), IIRC.

paulie jay
2004-Nov-08, 02:32 AM
Like most things in Australia, the platypus looks friendly enough but will savage you in the blink of an eye given half the chance. Cute though.

AGN Fuel
2004-Nov-08, 02:41 AM
I see them occasionally I havenít photon captured them yet though I remember seeing a family at a winery they had a wine named after them. And surprisingly there were some in our local pollution dump (creek) alive and well... come to think of it there were also eels and turtles in there and dingoís, ducks, thylacine, snakes, kuloo birds, magpies, ants ect...

You have a thylacine in your creek???? :-s

Morrolan
2004-Nov-08, 03:08 AM

already done... ;) i think i still have it somewhere, i'll see if i can dig it up and give you the title.

AGN Fuel
2004-Nov-08, 03:20 AM

My boss can do that. I got into work an hour late this morning and I could tell by his deeply red face that now would not be a good time to ask if I could have next Tuesday off. He didn't have to say a word! :lol:

Morrolan
2004-Nov-08, 03:56 AM

call the press! call National Geographic! call Steve Irwin! :wink:

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 06:00 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ROFL ROFL
Gasps....
ok :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ok deep breath
Sorry I was ok :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: wondering
:lol: If anyone would pick that up :lol: :lol: I can't stop laughin its not that funny though
Note: I never said I did't have one

One Day More
2004-Nov-08, 06:16 AM
To add to the list of weird animals:

---The male seahorse gives birth to the babies! :o
---(Well, so do male sims abducted by aliens... 8-[ )

---The only bird that can hover in one spot in the air is the...drumroll...hummingbird! What cute hummers! 8)
---A female praying mantis and female widow spider eat off their mates' heads after...ahem, mating :oops:

---How about NZ's kiwi that's got no feathers but fur? Did you know it has not only the longest beak in the world, but the shortest? That's coz scientists measure from the bird's beak tip to the nostrils...and the kiwi's happens to be near the tip of the beak!

What a crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy planet we live on!!

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 06:43 AM
Short-Beaked Echidna (Tachyglossus aculeatus), a spiney, anteating mammal that lays eggs! Like a pokapine
Skunks are strange
so are...
Sloths

Amadeus
2004-Nov-08, 01:07 PM
---A female praying mantis and female widow spider eat off their mates' heads after...ahem, mating :oops:

Small nitpick, the Mantis eats the males head during mating it can keep on going though!

As for the platypus poison it's a pain venom. Because of the way it works painkillers are not very effective. I saw a program were this fisherman got stung by one and he was in extream agony for months. Not even morphine worked :o

Basicly they are the custom Hot rods of the animal kingdom!

Swift
2004-Nov-08, 01:40 PM
If you are interested in a wonderful book on the biology of sex across the animal kingdom, I would highly recommend "Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation: The Definitive Guide to the Evolutionary Biology of Sex" by Olivia Judson. It is written in the style of an advice column (Dear Dr. Tatiana, I keep bitting the heads off my mates, is there something wrong with me?). The writing style is light and pretty non-technical, but the information is fascinating.
Amazon.com link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805063315/qid=1099921012/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-9608989-0635258?v=glance&s=books)

Reacher
2004-Nov-08, 02:56 PM
In school they taught us that when platypii (That's how I shall be saying it!) were first brought back to Europe, the Europeans thought they were literally a joke.
I don't know how that works, unless they were dead platypii.

John Jones
2004-Nov-08, 04:00 PM

I may be wrong, but I think it more an overly large Clitoris, rather than a functional penis.

It's worse than that:

http://www.lioncrusher.com/animal.asp?animal=75

"Their vulva is fused to look like a scrotum and testes, and their clitoris is large and looks like a pahllus, and can be erected just like a penis. The vagina runs through the pseudo penis. This makes it hard for them to mate and give birth, since they do so through this pseudo penis."

Reacher
2004-Nov-08, 04:09 PM
Wow. If I beleived in past lives, I'd say that all the bad people get reincarnated as female hyenas.
That sounds bloody terrible.

paulie jay
2004-Nov-09, 12:53 AM
---How about NZ's kiwi that's got no feathers but fur? Did you know it has not only the longest beak in the world, but the shortest? That's coz scientists measure from the bird's beak tip to the nostrils...and the kiwi's happens to be near the tip of the beak!

The Kiwi also has the largest egg, when compared to body size, of any bird. Poor thing...!

Morrolan
2004-Nov-09, 03:05 AM
In school they taught us that when platypii (That's how I shall be saying it!) were first brought back to Europe, the Europeans thought they were literally a joke.
I don't know how that works, unless they were dead platypii.

in those days practically everhything that was brought back was dead. the boat trip took months, so keeping animals (especially exotic aquatic animals that they knew nothing about) was near to impossible (the foodstores for the crew alone took up most of the available space).

animal specimens were preserved in formaldehyde, and in the case of the platypus, it was thought that someone attached a duck's bil to a rat. of course, the European scientific society was constantly plagued by hoaxes (remember the Piltdown Man?) so it wasn't surprising that they were somewhat skeptical...

Daro
2004-Dec-19, 06:26 PM
I can't help but post part of the opening warning from Dogma (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120655/):

...So please-before you think about hurting someone over this
trifle of a film, remember: even God has a sense of humor.
Just look at the Platypus.
thank you and enjoy the show.

P.S. WE sincerely apologize to all Platypus enthusiasts out there
who are offended by that thoughtless comment about the Platypi
We at View Askew respect the noble Platypus, and it is not our
intention to alight these stupid creatures in any way.
thank you again and enjoy the show.

archman
2004-Dec-19, 07:08 PM
Not to damp the enthusiasm over animals, but...

---The male seahorse gives birth to the babies! The female lays the eggs, the male merely carries them in his pouch. He "hatches" them but doesn't "birth" them.

---The only bird that can hover in one spot in the air is the...drumroll...hummingbird! What cute hummers! Many, many birds can hover in one spot (terns are particularly good at it); it's just that hummingbirds can do it for protracted periods, as a result of highly specialized adaptations.

Candy
2004-Dec-19, 07:36 PM
Wow. If I beleived in past lives, I'd say that all the bad people get reincarnated as female hyenas.
Then why are they laughing? 8-[

mickal555
2004-Dec-22, 11:52 AM
Kokabarras.....
The're realy annoying when your tring to pee in the bush 8-[

Candy
2004-Dec-22, 12:45 PM
Kokabarras.....
The're realy annoying when your tring to pee in the bush 8-[
Well, stop hiding in the bushes then! :lol:

mickal555
2004-Dec-22, 12:48 PM
They laugh at you :oops: Its so mean... especially if your caught nude outside or something

paulie jay
2004-Dec-23, 05:00 AM
Well, they don't laugh at me \:D/

Candy
2004-Dec-23, 12:48 PM
Well, they don't laugh at me \:D/
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/liebe/love-smiley-069.gif

paulie jay
2004-Dec-24, 01:52 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

8-[

Gullible Jones
2004-Dec-24, 02:33 AM
Take it FWIS, guys. :roll:

Candy
2004-Dec-27, 01:55 PM
Here you go, paulie jay! You would fit in so well at FWIS (http://loresinger.com/FWIS/index.php)! :P

[caution: contains adult content]

Kaptain K
2004-Dec-27, 02:07 PM
Then why are they laughing? 8-[
To keep from crying! :wink:

paulie jay
2004-Dec-28, 04:37 AM
Here you go, paulie jay! You would fit in so well at FWIS (http://loresinger.com/FWIS/index.php)! :P

[caution: contains adult content]

Oh, where did FWIS come from?? Secret handshake or something? OK, looking for the dirty stuff...