PDA

View Full Version : Aurora at 27 degrees latitude

mickal555
2004-Nov-06, 01:02 PM
WOW :o :o

Hang on

Ok I live in Brisbane about 19 degrees south at 11pm on 6/11/04( 6th nov 2004) ok

I noticed a blue green (I have never seen this before) light(about 10 degrees high [off the horizon) and about 13 degrees wide but like a triangle) tonight in the south-south-east very low on the horizon so I got excited and went online I found that some CME were heading this way. So I now got extremely excited.
I grabbed my camera and ran up to the top of a hill where there is a park I can get a 360 horizon...
Any way once up there I started taking photo's, this glow varied greatly in intensity and after about 10 minuets I started so seeing wavy waves like windů rippling...(due south about a degree wide) this was faint and hard to see though some distant cloud, but, it faded in and out and I eventually ran out of film
But as I was leaving I noticed another green ghostly glow to the south-east this was bright (comparatively about 1.5 times as bright and about 4 degrees high and 7 degrees wide)
What do you make of this?
Opps :oops: I'm at 27 lat :oops: :oops: :oops:
:o :o

Evan
2004-Nov-06, 02:42 PM
Keep your camera handy. There are at least three coronal mass ejections coming right now. There have been eight M class solar flares in the last three days.

Have a look here (http://www.sec.noaa.gov/pmap) for southern hemisphere real time data on the extent of the aurora.

If using ISO 400 film use exposures of around 30 seconds to a minute with the lens wide open. If the Aurora are very bright you can go down to 10 or 15 seconds.

SarahMc
2004-Nov-06, 05:40 PM
What do you make of this?

I'd say you were pretty lucky :D

Keep an eye on the ACE real-time data (http://www.sec.noaa.gov/ace/MAG_SWEPAM_6h.html), as Evan stated, we should be getting some minor geomagnetic storms over the next 24-48 hours. If Bz goes negative to -10 or more, you have a fair chance of seeing them again.

Hopefuly it will stay somewhat clear here tonight.

Evan
2004-Nov-06, 05:44 PM

I wish.

Me with my new camera and we have the Pineapple Express from Hawaii coming straight over us. No chance of clearing for the next three days. :(:(:(

2004-Nov-06, 05:53 PM
Why does it always bloody [pardon my French] rain, when there's an aurora??? :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Evan
2004-Nov-06, 07:13 PM
Because you are in Scotland. :)

mickal555
2004-Nov-07, 12:06 AM

I wish.

Me with my new camera and we have the Pineapple Express from Hawaii coming straight over us. No chance of clearing for the next three days. :(:(:(
Well its summer now so (looks out window) uho here come the monsoon :wink: compleate white out...... shame....

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Nov-07, 12:17 AM
Blast, blast, blast! Dang clouds!

BLAST!

I've been trying to see an aurora for years. Havn't seen one yet. Nuts.

mickal555
2004-Nov-07, 12:22 AM
I was partly cloudy when I saw it and a bit electrical ie. high alatude lightning wich was funny cos those clouds were centaintly not storm clouds.

frogesque
2004-Nov-07, 12:07 PM
I haven't seen anything yet, was pretty well clouded out and raining last night (in Scotland also) but I'll definitely be looking over the next few days.

Mickal555, remember it's magnetic South or North and where you are in relation to the auroral oval that's important. Glad you hit lucky.

mickal555
2004-Nov-07, 12:10 PM
I think I am 35 magnetic lat
Can't wait for the magnetic pole flip Aroue would realy be visable from here :D

iFire
2004-Nov-08, 03:36 AM
See, when I'm Emperor of the world, I will use the nuclear stockpile to create Aurora for everyone, even those in places that auroras don't like, like Missouri.... either that or to blow up stuff... or both... :D