PDA

View Full Version : Free text-only webmail? Recommendations?

Human
2004-Nov-06, 02:10 PM
I wish to create a webmail account that is text-only; so I don't get other files in my Inbox than clean txt- files, not .VBS files and other malware, only text.
I have heard that webmails like this exist. Here is a specified list of what properties I am looking for:

- Free webmail wich I only need a browser to open, and don't need to download any mail program to my computer. (Browser: IE.)

- A webmail who is text-only.

I think that sums it up. So wich webmail do you recommend to me?

Moose
2004-Nov-06, 02:19 PM
All mail is by definition text only. The problem comes when your client chooses to convert and interpret the data without your say so. Unfortunately, IE and Outlook are intermingled to the point that I can't say for sure whether using webmail is likely to be any safer than using outlook off a standard pop3 account.

May I make some alternative recommendations?

If you're truly set on using web mail, consider switching to Firefox. You can make it look and feel exactly like IE if you like (the only real difference in my installation is the icon in the corner.) It comes with a reliable email client (thunderbird, I think) as well, which won't open attachments without your say-so. Just don't open the attachments without confirming with the sender that the send was intentional.

Another option I can heartily recommend for email is PMail. It simply will not run attachments, in any form, without you specifically saving them to the hard disk first. I've been using various versions of this software for close to a decade now.

Kesh
2004-Nov-06, 08:33 PM
You probably want a Gmail account (http://gmail.google.com). It includes a 'filters' option, and one of the filter priorities is "Has an attachment."

So, you could set up a filter that sends any email with an attachment to the Trash folder.

If you'd like to try it out, PM me your email address, and I'll send one of my invite codes.

Moose
2004-Nov-06, 08:48 PM
You might want to wait a bit before using Gmail, at least until Google gets a handle on this:

Gmail accounts 'wide open to exploit' - report (http://www.theregister.com/2004/10/29/gmail_vuln/)