PDA

View Full Version : House rabbit discussion

Inclusa
2013-Jan-23, 04:45 AM
I've never had a house rabbit, but I've encountered one at a relative's home.
It was a male minilop (I assumed) with brown to golden fur; whenever they let him in the backyard, he ate any "edible" green leaves.
They managed to keep down the odour level, but rabbits' digestive wastes (feces and urine, or what's a better term for them collectively?) can be extremely stinky.
I've always wonder if lop-eared rabbit is an artificial creation, ie. the product of selective breeding. Due to popularity of house rabbits, many breeds and varieties have appeared.
Is neutering of rabbits really that difficult? Even though neutering is considered a basic veterinary skill, neutering certain animals are considered more difficult.
One thing more: Since rabbits can thrive on most green leaves (I've seen them eating pine leaves in winter), they can establish huge feral population even if a few are released or escape.

Darrell
2013-Jan-23, 01:01 PM
Rabbits can be "trained" to use litter boxes fairly easily. Another reason to spay / neuter is that adult rabbits are territorial and will mark their territory with urine and feces.

JustAFriend
2013-Jan-23, 03:04 PM
We had a bunny for five years and he was perfectly house-trained using a litter box.
No worse than having a cat (in fact our previous cats made far more waste products!)

Biggest problem is that there are far fewer vets with rabbit experience.

profloater
2013-Jan-23, 03:15 PM
A big advantage of house rabbits over cats is that they make much better eating. Although Guinea pigs have greater efficiency. Many populations in wartime (WW2) effectively farmed rabbits for a major source of protein. Good fur too.

Darrell
2013-Jan-23, 03:37 PM
*sssssmooch* Cook! This hasenpfeffer is raw!

Inclusa
2013-Jan-24, 04:08 AM
Rabbits can be "trained" to use litter boxes fairly easily. Another reason to spay / neuter is that adult rabbits are territorial and will mark their territory with urine and feces.

This sounds pretty messy and stinky.

A big advantage of house rabbits over cats is that they make much better eating. Although Guinea pigs have greater efficiency. Many populations in wartime (WW2) effectively farmed rabbits for a major source of protein. Good fur too.

This is exactly why the Vietnamese has year of the cat rather than year of the rabbit, because the cat is associated with much more positive attributes, whereas the rabbit was taken as food (only) by the Vietnamese.
(Then again, isn't tiger a feline, too?)

JustAFriend
2013-Jan-24, 02:48 PM
This sounds pretty messy and stinky.

Obviously you've never had a cat or a dog, some of which will do EXACTLY the same thing.
Most male animals with 'mark' their territory. Far worse to have one hump the furniture.

Our bunny never 'marked' anywhere in our house and used a litter box with no fuss at all.