PDA

View Full Version : Lucky 13

Candy
2004-Nov-07, 12:55 PM
Beijing Man Buys Phone Number for $215,000 (http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=041107&cat=strange&st=stranged866c2n 80&src=ap)

A Beijing man has paid $215,000 for the ultimate in lucky cell phone numbers _ 133-3333-3333.
I guess his number won't be unlisted. #-o

2004-Nov-07, 12:57 PM
Why did he do that???

Candy
2004-Nov-07, 01:03 PM
Chinese tradition considers 3 a lucky number and groups of 3's even luckier. Though the number 8 is the luckiest, all Chinese cell phone numbers begin with "13," making it impossible to make a number with all 8's.
:D

cyswxman
2004-Nov-07, 01:10 PM
I think the cell phone company was lucky!

2004-Nov-07, 01:10 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Candy.

Edit for more smiles. :oops:

Candy
2004-Nov-07, 01:13 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Candy. Your smilies of off by 1 digit. :wink:

[time for a nap before class] :(

mickal555
2004-Nov-07, 01:39 PM
What a number.... ok time to sleep

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-07, 07:14 PM
It makes sense in chinese culture certain numbers are extreamly lucky and other numbers are extreamly unlucky. Unlucky numbers are almost given away to people but as you say the luckyest cell phone has a price of $215,000.

I remember being told you can't buy luck... i guess in china you can :roll:

mickal555
2004-Nov-07, 10:39 PM
DO you know what BABB member has the 3333 profile no. Dummy!

Careless
2004-Nov-07, 11:02 PM
It makes sense in chinese culture certain numbers are extreamly lucky and other numbers are extreamly unlucky. Unlucky numbers are almost given away to people but as you say the luckyest cell phone has a price of $215,000.

I remember being told you can't buy luck... i guess in china you can :roll:
As was mentioned, they could get even more if they could stuff it with 8's. This is something you see in a lot of asian countries (those that have chinese populations).

Morrolan
2004-Nov-08, 04:08 AM
the 'unluckiest' (is there such a word) number is '4'. in Mandarin '4' is pronounced 'Si' (not the exact phonetical representation, but close enough) meaning 'death'. any product with '4' in it will have a hard time getting sold.

for that reason, no car company will advertise a '4x4'. the Alfa Romeo 164 was not very popular in areas with a large chinese populations. a monetary gift will never be any amount with '4'. no one ever tells people they are 44 years old (double death, very unlucky), some hotels don't have a 4th floor, etc. etc. :o

SeanF
2004-Nov-08, 04:46 PM
Just the other day I saw that China plans on having the opening ceremony for the 2008 Winter Games in Beijing start at 8pm on August 8 - 08/08/08.

My wife and I were married on 02/02/02. Is 2 a lucky number? :D

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-08, 04:57 PM
It is for groundhogs! :lol:

NASA Fan
2004-Nov-08, 06:36 PM
... some hotels don't have a 4th floor, etc. etc. :o

I always thought the concept of having no 13th. floor (or in this case no 4th. floor) silly. Just because the numbering goes 1 2 3 5 does not mean that there is no 4th floor, the floor labled "5th floor" is still really the 4th. floor, or over here, the one labled '14th. floor" is still the 13th floor (when the floors are labled 12, 14, 15).

I realize that I am problably thinking to much, since I do not have a superstition about numbers.

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-08, 08:42 PM
I always thought the concept of having no 13th. floor (or in this case no 4th. floor) silly.
For landlords and realtors it is a case of economics. Having a floor/room/address with unluckly numbers could hamper your efforts to sell or rent it as a potential client could be superstitious. Many won't take that chance so eliminate the number, even if they themselves don't believe the number is unlucky.

And that the story in the OP shows the reverse is true as well.

Lurker
2004-Nov-08, 09:00 PM
I always thought the concept of having no 13th. floor (or in this case no 4th. floor) silly.
For landlords and realtors it is a case of economics. Having a floor/room/address with unluckly numbers could hamper your efforts to sell or rent it as a potential client could be superstitious. Many won't take that chance so eliminate the number, even if they themselves don't believe the number is unlucky.

Its the difference between science and business...

In business there is only ultimate logic... the customer that is willing to pay the price is ALWAYS right!!! 8)

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 09:21 PM
Just the other day I saw that China plans on having the opening ceremony for the 2008 Winter Games in Beijing start at 8pm on August 8 - 08/08/08.

WOW that type of sequence won't happen again fo 1000 years :o

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 09:23 PM

Its the difference between science and business...

In business there is only ultimate logic... the customer that is willing to pay the price is ALWAYS right!!! 8)
The allmighty doller $ ) 8-[

Morrolan
2004-Nov-09, 03:47 AM

two (a pair) is very good, not as good as 8, but close. your wedding date was hugely popular here...

I always thought the concept of having no 13th. floor (or in this case no 4th. floor) silly. Just because the numbering goes 1 2 3 5 does not mean that there is no 4th floor, the floor labled "5th floor" is still really the 4th. floor, or over here, the one labled '14th. floor" is still the 13th floor (when the floors are labled 12, 14, 15).

they solve that by having a pool, fitness centre, shops or business centre on the 4th floor. just taking away the number won't work; people just won't sleep or live on a 4th floor.

silly, i know, but over here you just have to live with it. when i came here my secretary had specially selected a 'good' phone number for me.