PDA

View Full Version : Educational Malpractice

sarongsong
2004-Nov-07, 08:15 PM
"..."I'm reviewing this paper next to my ten-year-old...and he says, 'Dad, they don't have any controls.' If my ten-year-old knows they are doing bad science, so do they. But they're pushing it with their students' names on it. They're throwing their students' futures away."..."
http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200407/profile.asp
Paging Erin Brockovich...

Candy
2004-Nov-07, 09:19 PM
I have got to stop thinking that controls are just an airline term. #-o

Sammy
2004-Nov-07, 11:29 PM
EPA position an atrazine exposure/amphibian effects:

(http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/reregistration/atrazine/atrazineadd.pdf)

..... the Agency has conducted a comprehensive evaluation of the available data regarding the potential effects of atrazine on amphibian gonadal development and presented its assessment for external peer review to a SAP in June 2003. In a May 29, 2003 white paper, the Agency summarized seventeen studies consisting of both open literature and registrant-submitted laboratory and field studies involving both native and non-native species of frogs (see Appendix B). In its white paper the Agency concluded that none of the studies fully accounted for environmental and animal husbandry factors capable of influencing endpoints that the studies were attempting to measure. The Agency also concluded that the current lines-ofevidence did not show that atrazine produced consistent effects across a range of exposure
concentrations and amphibian species tested.

Based upon this assessment, the Agency concluded and the SAP agreed that there is sufficient evidence to formulate a hypothesis that atrazine exposure may impact gonadal development in amphibians, but there are currently insufficient data to confirm or refute the hypothesis (http://www.epa.gov/oscpmont/sap/2003/June/junemeetingreport.pdf). Because of the inconsistency and lack of reproducibility across studies and an absence of a dose-response relationship in the currently available data, the Agency has determined that it does not change the conclusions reached in the January 31, 2003 IRED regarding atrazine’s effects on
amphibians. (SAP is the Scientific Advisory Panel, an independant goup of outside scientists used by EPA to advise on scientific issues involving pesticides and related products. Their reviews are conducted under the Federal Advisory Committee Act, which requires (among other things) open meetings, solicitation of public comment, and panels which reflect balanced points of view. Membetrs must disclose their financial holdings and past involvements with the issue and/or significant parties.)

Re Ms Brockovitch, Quackwatch says

Erin Brockovich Story Largely Fiction

See http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/brockovich.html

for the facts (as they see it, but which make good sense to me)

sarongsong
2004-Nov-08, 12:45 AM
"... The European Union banned atrazine last year, but roughly 75 million pounds are sprayed in the United States annually, mostly on corn crops..."
Science can be so-o-o confusing; isn't GM corn supposed to eliminate the need for herbicides?

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Nov-08, 01:32 AM
I think it makes the corn resistant to herbicides so that they can be sprayed without damaging the crops.

Gullible Jones
2004-Nov-08, 03:38 AM
GM corn is supposed to reduce the use of insecticides, not herbicides.

I've never heard of this atrazine business... I have heard of certain pesticides doing very, very strange things to fish, though. (Strange as in turning male fish into hermaphrodites...)

sarongsong
2004-Nov-08, 04:28 AM
Thanks, GJ, this herbicide favors frogs, according to Hayes:
"...At levels...[of] 0.1ppb, atrazine turned significant numbers of male frogs into hermaphrodites. Multiple nonfunctioning ovaries and testes appeared in the same frogs. Male testes produced eggs rather than sperm..."

wedgebert
2004-Nov-08, 04:36 AM

I thought controls meant web controls at first. Too much web development at work I guess.

Candy
2004-Nov-08, 08:30 AM

I thought controls meant web controls at first. Too much web development at work I guess.
Strange, no wonder people misunderstand each other so frequently. :o

"... Male testes produced eggs rather than sperm..." 8-[

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 10:07 AM

Now everthing staring to make sense 8-[

Candy
2004-Nov-08, 11:07 AM

Now everthing staring to make sense 8-[ You take this out of context, and sure it makes sense. :wink:

sarongsong
2004-Nov-09, 03:47 AM
Just wait til Ms. Piggy finds out about this!