PDA

View Full Version : Leonids

frogesque
2004-Nov-08, 11:09 AM
From spaceweather.com (http://www.spaceweather.com/)

LEONID METEORS: Sky watchers in Europe and Asia should be on the lookout for a flurry of shooting stars, as many as 100 per hour, on Nov. 8th around 2330 GMT. That's when Earth is expected to plow through a 1000-year-old stream of dust from comet Tempel-Tuttle--the parent of the Leonid meteor shower. [details]

Ooooh! Possible auroras, Jupiter-Venus conjunction and a decent Leonid shower. Who said that night time was for sleeping?

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 11:30 AM
And we get a monsoon I't last for weeks moan.......

frogesque
2004-Nov-08, 11:56 AM

Yeah, but at least it's warm rain! We have had weeks of driech weather and it's been about 5 C at night. A good frost I can take but the wet gets right inside you.

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 12:02 PM

Yeah, but at least it's warm rain! We have had weeks of driech weather and it's been about 5 C at night. A good frost I can take but the wet gets right inside you.
I'd rather be cold or hot at lest you can rug up and thats comfortable in the heat its so hot and humid your sweet can't evaporate it just sits there making a puddle and once we're all nude we can't take any more stuff off

Ut
2004-Nov-08, 02:56 PM
Yeah, well, it's supposed to snow tonight.
:evil:
I hate winter, and everything that it is.

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-08, 04:45 PM
Clouds and rain here for the next week, maybe next year . . . :(

Evan
2004-Nov-08, 05:33 PM
Yeah, well, it's supposed to snow tonight.
:evil:
I hate winter, and everything that it is.

Yes, me too. The only good thing about it is that I don't have as many chores to do and can play in my machine shop.

zebo-the-fat
2004-Nov-08, 08:17 PM
Typical! thick cloud here in the UK (and last year...and the year before!)

I think the Leonids are just a myth to anoy us! :cry:

frogesque
2004-Nov-08, 10:22 PM
I saw a few early on, nothing spectacular, but the carpet cloud rolled out and looks like it will be solid for the peak about 11.30pm GMT :(

beskeptical
2004-Nov-09, 08:41 AM
From Gary Cronk's Meteors and Comets site: (http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/showers/leonidsez.html)
Every November 17-18 Earth crosses the orbit of comet Tempel-Tuttle and the Leonids become visible. An observer with clear, dark skies can see 10 or 15 Leonid meteors every hour on that morning. Unless an observer is living at a very high northern latitude (generally within the Arctic Circle), the Leonids are only visible during the morning hours.So, in other words, you're all looking a bit prematurely I think. Unless there was some specific 2004 prediciton of an earlier peak?

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Nov-09, 11:17 AM
Unless there was some specific 2004 prediciton of an earlier peak?
Gary hasn't updated his pages for 2004, it seems.

Here is the details (http://portail.imcce.fr/en/ephemerides/phenomenes/meteor/leonids/Leonid_forecast_2004.php) about the Nov. 8 prediction mentioned in the OP--however, the prediction appears to have been a dud.