PDA

View Full Version : BA on Who wants to be a millionare

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 11:22 AM
ARGH
BA on Who wants to be a millionare
Said Andronoma was a nebula #-o ](*,) #-o ](*,) #-o ](*,) #-o ](*,) I know thats what they used to think but.......
sigh

Glom
2004-Nov-08, 11:37 AM
](*,)

ToSeek
2004-Nov-08, 02:30 PM
Looking at the title, I thought you meant the BA and was sorry I'd missed it!

Humphrey
2004-Nov-08, 03:05 PM
They are still making that show? :o

StarStuff
2004-Nov-08, 04:54 PM

:lol: That's what I thought, too!

tracer
2004-Nov-08, 05:14 PM
To this day, M31 is still referred to as "The great spiral nebula in Andromeda."

NASA Fan
2004-Nov-08, 06:52 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what has it been re-classified as?

Moose
2004-Nov-08, 06:54 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what has it been re-classified as?

M31 is a spiral galaxy (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap950724.html). Just a tiny bit bigger than a nebula. :wink:

cyswxman
2004-Nov-08, 08:09 PM
I guess the difference between a galaxy and a nebula is sort of...nebulous. :wink:

nomuse
2004-Nov-08, 08:20 PM
Well, its got a Messier number, which means it belongs to a group of objects that are mostly nebulae. (Or rather, belongs to the class of "Not another one of those durned fuzzy things -- I was looking for a comet!")

I've certainly seen it referred to as "The Andromeda Nebulae" (but never the _Spiral_ Nebulae, as that would seem to be a confusion of terminology). Most people these days, though, call it the Andromeda Galaxy.

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 09:12 PM
Well, its got a Messier number, which means it belongs to a group of objects that are mostly nebulae. (Or rather, belongs to the class of "Not another one of those darned fuzzy things -- I was looking for a comet!")

I've certainly seen it referred to as "The Andromeda Nebulae" (but never the _Spiral_ Nebulae, as that would seem to be a confusion of terminology). Most people these days, though, call it the Andromeda Galaxy.
Still lots are galaxies though.... think Virgo and that bear?

That's what I thought, too!

Hahaha :lol:
#-o
I was worried about that but they both have the same acronyms
8-[

nomuse
2004-Nov-08, 09:47 PM
Just to properly Sedna-ize this whole thread....

What are we calling the GMC and the LMC now? They ain't galaxies, and they ain't nebulae...

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2004-Nov-08, 09:49 PM

What are we calling the GMC and the LMC now? They ain't galaxies, and they ain't nebulae...

Satelites, Typically

Occasionally, Dwarf Galaxies.

nomuse
2004-Nov-08, 10:08 PM
Hey, that sounds like something in a really cheesy sci-fi....."Obok is a feisty little dude. He comes from the Dwarf Galaxy, where even elephants are only three feet tall...."

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 10:18 PM
theres rumers that SMG is a barred spirel

2004-Nov-09, 02:43 AM
Said Andronoma was a nebula

I'm confused. Was that the "right" answer or a final (wrong) answer? I.e., who said it, the show/host or a contestant?

AGN Fuel
2004-Nov-09, 04:41 AM

I'm confused. Was that the "right" answer or a final (wrong) answer? I.e., who said it, the show/host or a contestant?

The contestant. Doesn't matter - it was not referring to the galaxy anyway, but was one of the 4 possible answers to a question requesting the full title of the painting by Gericault: 'Raft of the Medusa'.

mickal555
2004-Nov-09, 06:02 AM

The contestant. Doesn't matter - it was not referring to the galaxy anyway, but was one of the 4 possible answers to a question requesting the full title of the painting by Gericault: 'Raft of the Medusa'.
Oh I was't watching I thought it was one of eddies side comments after :oops:

AGN Fuel
2004-Nov-09, 06:10 AM
Oh I was't watching I thought it was one of eddies side comments after :oops:

No: actually I felt quite sorry for the guy (not too sorry though - he walked out with $32K!) The contestant knew that each of the answer options was a character from Greek mythology but obviously didn't know that the 'Raft of the Medusa' was a painting of shipwreck survivors adrift on the ocean. He was trying to work out what on Earth a raft would have to do with the mythological characters, and he wondered aloud if somehow the 'raft' had something to do with 'the Andromeda nebula'.

Harvestar
2004-Nov-09, 11:25 AM

What's SMG?

The LMC is a barred Magellanic Spiral. It has one spiral arm and a bar.

The SMC is a dwarf galaxy.

What's wrong with dwarf galaxies, btw? I study them! ;) Guess I'm just taking in the strays...

edit- I've seen the Wreck of the Medusa! :)

mickal555
2004-Nov-09, 12:58 PM

What's SMG?

The SMC is a dwarf galaxy.

What's wrong with dwarf galaxies, btw? I study them! ;) Guess I'm just taking in the strays...

#-o I was thinking gezz, look somone put GMC

Absolotly shocking............. and then I do the same thing #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o ](*,)

Kaptain K
2004-Nov-09, 01:14 PM
Hmmm - I thought that the LMC was a dwarf, barred, irregular galaxy. It may have been a dwarf, barred spiral before it tangled with the Milky Way (it lost!)

Eroica
2004-Nov-09, 05:07 PM
Nubeculae (http://www.online-dictionary.biz/english/?word=Nubecula&Search=Search)

nomuse
2004-Nov-09, 07:30 PM
Shows you how long I've been out of circulation! I think it was the "Lesser" Magellanic Cloud and the "Greater" Magellanic cloud when I was in school. But then, it had just become appropriate to ask "What is the _largest_ ringed planet in our Solar System?" (And most of the class blew that one).

AGN Fuel
2004-Nov-10, 02:33 AM

Wow - I am seriously jealous! 8) I've seen it in books only, but it looks magnificent.

Harvestar
2004-Nov-10, 09:48 AM
Nubeculae (http://www.online-dictionary.biz/english/?word=Nubecula&Search=Search)

but, but, they're dwarf galaxies! And I studied the SMC! ;)

um... urine?? #-o

edit: oh, yes, a lovely painting all surrounded by other paintings of similar style (Liberty Leading the People is down the room). I want to go back to the Louvre!

nomuse
2004-Nov-10, 07:50 PM
That's always cool, to see the real thing. I love the "Whoah..!" moment -- had mine in the British Museum, when I was heading out of the Elgin Marbles towards the lavoratory and my eye was suddenly caught by a familiar silhouette -- a simple slab of rock in a simple, non-descript cabinet. I turned but I was already sure of what I'd glimped...The Rosetta Stone.