PDA

View Full Version : Future of the multiverse.

Cosmologist
2013-Jan-30, 06:46 AM
Will the multiverse last forever or slowly fade away over trillions of years?

antoniseb
2013-Jan-30, 02:57 PM
We can test that, by waiting to see.

Shaula
2013-Jan-30, 05:39 PM
No one even knows if there is a multiverse. If there is then what happens to it is an open question and depends on what properties the multiverse turns out to have. We don't know.

Cosmologist
2013-Jan-31, 05:23 AM
If we harnessed an entire sun with a dyson sphere would that provide enough energy to open wormholes into other universes? Dibs on Alpha Centaurii A.

Jens
2013-Jan-31, 05:28 AM
If we harnessed an entire sun with a dyson sphere would that provide enough energy to open wormholes into other universes? Dibs on Alpha Centaurii A.

No one knows if there are other universes. Plus, no one knows if wormholes can exist.

Cosmologist
2013-Jan-31, 05:41 AM
Nobody human.

Shaula
2013-Jan-31, 06:26 AM
Nobody human.
My contacts inform me the dolphins are pretty clueless in this area too.

Cosmologist
2013-Jan-31, 06:34 AM
I thought space/time was made of wormholes. A foam of them. Don't underestimate dolphins. They have a remarkably good understanding of wave theory. I've seen them surf.

Matej Velko
2013-Jan-31, 07:07 PM
Occam's razor. Why invent multiverse? Universe is bounded by event horizon, even if you wanted, you couldn't interact with the outside. Let's focus on our Universe and try to explain it more precisely, then, if there will be a need and possibility, we'll try to interact with 'the outside', whatever it means.

Cosmologist
2013-Feb-01, 02:49 AM
The universe is insignificant. On its own it couldn't exist. Its just a branch of the tree so to speak. long after this universe is gone the rest of the multiverse will still be there. I've never been to the bottom of the Marianas trench but I'm pretty sure its there and that its important. I realise this is purely philosophical but very little research has been done on multiverse theory. The implications might be fun to discuss. I think the multiverse might be self sustaining and therefore the only truly infinite object. It could keep on birthing new universes indefinately. Each universe then eventually collapses but new ones are created. If it was possible to travel between universes then time would never end.

Matej Velko
2013-Feb-01, 08:33 PM
If anything, nice imagination Cosmologist!

publiusr
2013-Feb-03, 10:17 PM
It is just steady state one removed. But a library at the end of the multiverse with a book on every possible combination of life--out of Borges, would be a great place to visit.

Cougar
2013-Feb-04, 07:23 PM
Occam's razor. Why invent multiverse?

Some high-profile physicists (Susskind, being one) believe a multiverse provides an answer to the apparent "fine-tuning" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuning) problem of our "little" universe.

....even if you wanted, you couldn't interact with the outside. Let's focus on our Universe and try to explain it more precisely, then, if there will be a need and possibility, we'll try to interact with 'the outside', whatever it means.

I totally agree, Matej. Not only is there no evidence of "other" universes outside our own, but there is very likely no way to ever test or observe such a speculative conjecture. At least there is evidence for dark matter and dark energy, and if they actually exist, they exist within our universe, not "outside" it.