PDA

View Full Version : Creationism in Rotterdam

tusenfem
2013-Jan-30, 12:45 PM
Eek! I was just listening to the regional Radio Rijnmond (http://www.rijnmond.nl/) and they had a (paid) advertisement for a creationist evening in one of the theatres in Rotterdam. The event is called "The Creation" (de Schepping) (http://www.deschepping-rotterdam.nl/) and is all about:

De film is een duidelijk pleidooi dat de mens geen toevalsproduct is, maar een wezen dat het geniale handschrift van een liefdevolle schepper draagt.

The movie is a clear plea that humankind is not a coincidental product, but a creature that carries the genius handwriting of a loving creator.

Okay, just thought I should mention this.

Solfe
2013-Jan-30, 06:23 PM
Eek! I was just listening to the regional Radio Rijnmond (http://www.rijnmond.nl/) and they had a (paid) advertisement for a creationist evening in one of the theatres in Rotterdam. The event is called "The Creation" (de Schepping) (http://www.deschepping-rotterdam.nl/) and is all about:

Okay, just thought I should mention this.
[/COLOR][/LEFT]

You are late to the party, the film was released in 2010. The English title is "Creation - The Earth Is a Witness". It is the classic tale of... oh, wait. I pulled up the wrong move from IMDB, this one doesn't seem to have any entry on IMDB.

Amusingly, if you search for it on Netflix...

redshifter
2013-Jan-30, 06:34 PM
I thought the creationism battle was being fought here in the US, I didn't realize this 'stuff' went on across the pond as well. Although I don't know if Europe has issues with folks that think creationism should be taught in public schools as valid 'theory' next to actual science, and are numerous and powerful enough that they can get a court case dealing with it.

Solfe
2013-Jan-30, 07:05 PM
I thought the creationism battle was being fought here in the US, I didn't realize this 'stuff' went on across the pond as well. Although I don't know if Europe has issues with folks that think creationism should be taught in public schools as valid 'theory' next to actual science, and are numerous and powerful enough that they can get a court case dealing with it.

Some religions have creationism as a topic and religions are not unique to America, so it isn't surprising that a film on the topic comes from Germany.

However, what you are looking at is a non-commercial presentation of a film. It looks as if it was styled on Planet Earth (TV show) or Oceans (Film). I would not be surprised if this was being presented in a public theater for free, but I can't be entirely sure. In English, this thread might be giving the film a massive exposure boost. :) Most people do this with art films or classics, but I don't see why a religious film couldn't be the theme of a rented theater night.

I took my son to a viewing of an environmental film a few years ago in such a format. It was free (but we bought popcorn) and open to the public, even though the subject matter was not really geared for mass consumption. I am pretty sure the film I saw was big enough for a IMDB review, though. I seriously think the film I saw was shown for the benefit of high schools and college students; I recall that it was close to Earth Day at the time.

Edit... er, I don't see this being prompted in schools or as a teaching tool (unless I miss understood the context of the first link). It seems to be "see a religious themed and slanted film on the big screen" sort of thing. I would imagine that there are religious people who like big screens and sound systems.

publiusr
2013-Feb-03, 09:36 PM
It's everywhere you go now. And some of them are very well funded:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2008/dec/22/atlas-creationism-adnan-oktar-harun-yahya

Then too--maybe nonsense isn't tolerated everywhere...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/18/china-doomsday-arrests-mayan-apocalypse_n_2321471.html

Solfe
2013-Feb-03, 11:29 PM
It's everywhere you go now. And some of them are very well funded:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2008/dec/22/atlas-creationism-adnan-oktar-harun-yahya

Then too--maybe nonsense isn't tolerated everywhere...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/18/china-doomsday-arrests-mayan-apocalypse_n_2321471.html

While I don't want to touch on the religious aspects of anyone, and can understand your dismay at something non-scientific and/or incorrect being promoted; I am somewhat amused that you have compared a largely pacifistic group (movie makers) with two groups that have PR issues due to the leadership of the groups causing critical existence failure of their membership base, for what appear to be fun and/or prophet.

swampyankee
2013-Feb-04, 01:51 AM
I don't particularly want to take this into religion, but advocates of literal vs allegorical interpretations of scripture have been "having at it" for close to two millennia. St Augustine (354-430) wrote about this in his work On the Literal Interpretation of Genesis, so even in the 4th and 5th Centuries, this was already an issue.

Solfe
2013-Feb-04, 02:03 AM
I don't particularly want to take this into religion, but advocates of literal vs allegorical interpretations of scripture have been "having at it" for close to two millennia. St Augustine (354-430) wrote about this in his work On the Literal Interpretation of Genesis, so even in the 4th and 5th Centuries, this was already an issue.

I have nothing to disagree with this. This has been an issue.

I just object to lumping radical pacifist groups in with groups who are radical and not remotely pacifistic. Its a question of societal damage control.

RenaissanceMan
2017-Jun-26, 12:36 AM
Its a question of societal damage control.

Who will control the damage wrought by atheists? They are generally hateful, intolerant, condescending, and often anti-science.

The Ivy League colleges were not founded by atheists, but rather by Christians, intent on furthering scientific inquiry and teaching.

Cougar
2017-Jun-26, 01:53 AM
Who will control the damage wrought by atheists? They are generally hateful, intolerant, condescending, and often anti-science.

Do you have any evidentiary support for this, or are you just trolling?

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jun-26, 02:21 AM

The Ivy League colleges were not founded by atheists, but rather by Christians, intent on furthering scientific inquiry and teaching.
And a lot of scientific inquiry has lead to advances in knowledge that has proved a lot of the founders knowledge lacking.

RenaissanceMan
2017-Jun-26, 03:18 AM
Do you have any evidentiary support for this, or are you just trolling?

Must I provide evidence for EVERYTHING I SAY here, or are you just harassing me?

Richard Dawkins embodies hatefulness, intolerance, condescension, and anti-science. See A Matter of Gravity, by Professor John Lennox on www.YouTube.com
for Dawkins and Hawking's anti-science. I can provide many quotes from books by Dawkins, and Sagan, which are anti-scientific.

Solfe
2017-Jun-26, 03:19 AM

Since you seem to be addressing my post from a couple of years ago, I'd point out my statement was if-then styled. Who will reign in harmful atheist (or any other grouping)? The ones that aren't harmful. I would imagine, anyway. Not that I have met a particularly harmful atheist. At least not face to face. I've observed many kinds of harmful people on the internet, but I figure, what the heck, it's the internet.

There something about delayed response and the lack of face-to-face contact that makes people behave badly. I can't really trust that as a primary mode for day-to-day operations. People can lay hands on you, and not in the good way.

RenaissanceMan
2017-Jun-26, 03:22 AM
And a lot of scientific inquiry has lead to advances in knowledge that has proved a lot of the founders knowledge lacking.

Speaking of "knowledge lacking," you can't even write Einstein's name correctly in your footnote. Nor has one of your friends here advised you of your glaring errors.

One word, misspelled two different ways, "eiinstein".

Heavier than air flight is impossible. - Lord Kelvin, President of the Royal Society in 1895

If we all worked on what is assumed to be true was actually true, there would be little hope of advance. - Orville Wright, who flew a scant 8 years after Lord Kelvin voiced his wisdom

Swift
2017-Jun-26, 03:24 AM
Closed pending moderator discussion.

PS - And it will stay closed.