PDA

View Full Version : What's better Hot or cold

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 12:07 PM
What's better Hot or cold ?
I mean as in weather
I'd rather be cold or hot at lest you can rug up and thats comfortable, The heat its so hot and humid your sweet can't evaporate it just sits there making a puddle and once we're all nude we can't take any more stuff off.
Cold has it cons. too though

mathyou9
2004-Nov-08, 12:10 PM
For me, it seems that when the weather is cold, I think to myself, "I sure would like it to be hot." And when the weather is hot, I think to myself, "I sure would like it to be cold." :)

HAVOC451
2004-Nov-08, 12:14 PM
I grew up in Wisconsin. That's why I live in southern California. 8)

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 12:15 PM
That's not hot :P

frogesque
2004-Nov-08, 12:18 PM
For me it's more a case of dry or wet. Endless days of overcast damp weather are so depressing.

HAVOC451
2004-Nov-08, 12:19 PM

It's hotter than Wisconsin. :wink:

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 12:22 PM

It's hotter than Wisconsin. :wink:
were is winstein again somewere in america or Eroupe? :-?

Captain Kidd
2004-Nov-08, 01:05 PM
Here (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=US&addtohistory=&sear chtab=address&searchtype=address&address=&city=&st ate=wi&zipcode=&search=++Search++)

South of Canada, north of the sane places to live line. :D :D :D

I perfer to be hot over cold. Sure, I can layer up, but my fingers never quite feel normal until spring.

But hot + high himidity can be worse.

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 01:12 PM
Here (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=US&addtohistory=&sear chtab=address&searchtype=address&address=&city=&st ate=wi&zipcode=&search=++Search++)

South of Canada, north of the sane places to live line. :D :D :D

I perfer to be hot over cold. Sure, I can layer up, but my fingers never quite feel normal until spring.

But hot + high himidity can be worse.
Still make no sense :( its just a map I don't reconise any thing there :-s (exept postville in the bottem left :D) I need a bigger scale :P

Edit: okey I zoomed right out it in the middle just to the right of the mexico america cannada thing....
In latatude cannada is only a block/state down

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 01:19 PM
enless it over 38 degrees and 92% humidity it ainet hot

Normandy6644
2004-Nov-08, 02:11 PM
I lived in Florida for 16 years, and now I'm in upstate NY, so that should give some idea for my preference. :D

Moose
2004-Nov-08, 02:22 PM

I spontaneously combust at 35C. I know this from direct experience. :o (ETA: And man, you have no idea how much of a mess that made.)

I'm most comfortable between 10C and 24C.

Moose
2004-Nov-08, 02:33 PM
What's better Hot or cold ?
I mean as in weather
I'd rather be cold or hot at lest you can rug up and thats comfortable, The heat its so hot and humid your sweet can't evaporate it just sits there making a puddle and once we're all nude we can't take any more stuff off.

Better to think of this as an opportunity, given the right companion(s), rather than an hardship. Lemonade and all that, right? :wink:

I think I do prefer cold to hot though. I'm adapted as a biological furnace, and this can be a significant natural advantage for me in terms of certain, um, darwinistic activities on cold weekend/holiday mornings or chilly evenings.

8)

jrkeller
2004-Nov-08, 02:36 PM
I prefer cold, as long as it's not -20F with a 50 MPH wind. For six years I lived on the Southern shores of Lake Superior.

kucharek
2004-Nov-08, 02:40 PM
I prefer cold winters and hot (~35C) summers. I would not like to live in Florida or Iceland. It's the change of seasons that keep me going.
And, of course: Dry, windless winters and summer with an occasional breeze.

Harald

ToSeek
2004-Nov-08, 02:43 PM
I vote for cold for the reasons given above: it's easier to cope with. When it's hot, all you can do is sweat.

Wally
2004-Nov-08, 02:47 PM
Beening a sailor and all, I guess I lean more towards preferring the warmth of Summer.

that said, there's nothing quite as beautiful as a sunny morning in Michigan following 10 inches of newly fallen snow coating everything in whiteness. Blindingly beautiful, I should say. . . 8)

Wally
2004-Nov-08, 02:49 PM
Being a sailor and all, I guess I lean more towards preferring the warmth of Summer.

that said, there's nothing quite as beautiful as a sunny morning in Michigan following 10 inches of newly fallen snow coating everything in whiteness. Blindingly beautiful, I should say. . . 8)

[editted to add: Darn it Mikel! You're spelling is wearing off on me! Editted to correct typos]

D'oh!!! Then, I hit "qoute" rather than "edit"!!!!! Must be a Monday. . .

Ut
2004-Nov-08, 03:02 PM

Unless it's -25 with a windchill of -40, it ain't cold...

Parrothead
2004-Nov-08, 03:05 PM
I don't mind either really. It's just the extremes of each that can get to me. Dry heat I can handle, humidity ICK! Like you stated 38C with 95% humidity, I experienced that type of weather in Cairns, Australia in January 1989, can be too much. Much like the opposite, February 1992 maybe 93, we had a 3 week stretch where the temp didn't get above -35C (not including windchill factor). :evil:

StarStuff
2004-Nov-08, 03:12 PM
I definitely prefer the heat. The funny thing is that until I was in my early to mid-twenties, I used to love winter and hate summer, and now I'm the total opposite. I do prefer a dry heat, as I find the heat and humidity together really uncomfortable, but I'd still take that any day over the extreme cold + wind combination we get so often here in the wintertime. Also, it's not only our summers that are humid - the winters here are as well, and I find the humidity makes it feel a lot more cold out there.

Much like the opposite, February 1992 maybe 93, we had a 3 week stretch where the temp didn't get above -35C (not including windchill factor). :evil:

I remember that winter, and you're right - it was 1992. IIRC, the cold snap started in January, and just got worse.... Definitely the coldest winter I can remember here in Toronto.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-08, 03:14 PM
I have a low tolerance for heat. I am a cold lover all the way.

Lets just say that in my place i will be in just shorts and rachel will be wearing pants and a sweater. :-)

pghnative
2004-Nov-08, 04:02 PM
Agree with ToSeek that cold is preferrable, since it can be better dealt with.

There is a saying (I believe it's Norwegian) that there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Ut
2004-Nov-08, 05:58 PM
Bah. A good beach will cure any hot day. No amount of clothing is going to keep your nose hairs from freezing, though.

pghnative
2004-Nov-08, 06:48 PM
No amount of clothing is going to keep your nose hairs from freezing, though.You could always trim them. :D

dvb
2004-Nov-08, 06:58 PM
For me, it seems that when the weather is cold, I think to myself, "I sure would like it to be hot." And when the weather is hot, I think to myself, "I sure would like it to be cold." :)

I agree here. That's why I like having 4 seasons with 4 different types of weather. That way I get a chance to be bored of each season.

I prefer cold, as long as it's not -20F with a 50 MPH wind. For six years I lived on the Southern shores of Lake Superior.

I live on the northwestern shore. :)

Humphrey
2004-Nov-08, 07:02 PM
Two seasons here. Freaking hot and wet, or Dry cool winters.

Careless
2004-Nov-08, 07:21 PM

One of the last times it got that cold here, my eyelids froze shut. (it was windy)
I didn't stay outside long after that

pghnative
2004-Nov-08, 08:02 PM
One of the last times it got that cold here, my eyelids froze shut.Of course that's because you're Careless. :wink:

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 09:05 PM

I agree here. That's why I like having 4 seasons with 4 different types of weather. That way I get a chance to be bored of each season.

Go to melbourne you get four seasons in one day bittery cold, cloudy/windy, Sunny, Hot and humid, and then an evening shower :o

Swift
2004-Nov-08, 09:15 PM
When I lived in Louisiana I described the two seasons as summer and not-summer.

In Ohio we get four seasons, but they are sometimes condensed to Winter-Traffic-Mess and Highway-Construction.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-08, 09:21 PM
When I lived in Louisiana I described the two seasons as summer and not-summer.heh. Very true. :-)

ASt least i can say that being on the coast (relatively) Orlando is a heck of alot better than any central state. Sure i would be happy if it snowed more than once every decade. But if i ever get the chance, im moving north. :-)

I have the firm belief that all snowbirds are crazy. Why would you ever want to come to this bug infested paved over reclaimed swamp? :-P
[joke folks, Remain Calm*!!]

*copyright dgruss23 (2003)

dvb
2004-Nov-08, 09:24 PM

Go to melbourne you get four seasons in one day bittery cold, cloudy/windy, Sunny, Hot and humid, and then an evening shower :o

Or live in the Maritime provinces, and you'll get the same effect. Just ask Ut. ;)

sts60
2004-Nov-08, 10:10 PM
Every kind of weather has its place, and I like a place with variety. Maryland has four actual seasons, so that's OK.

Overall, though, I prefer dry places to wet, and cold places to hot. I lived in Houston for a long time. For about five months of the year, the climate can best be described as "wilting". Imagine stepping out your door and having someone drape you with a heavy wool blanked soaked in hot water. :-?

rleyland
2004-Nov-08, 10:13 PM
Every kind of weather has its place, and I like a place with variety. Maryland has four actual seasons, so that's OK.

Overall, though, I prefer dry places to wet, and cold places to hot. I lived in Houston for a long time. For about five months of the year, the climate can best be described as "wilting". Imagine stepping out your door and having someone drape you with a heavy wool blanked soaked in hot water. :-?

It's not the heat, it's the humidity!

I prefer hot to cold, but more so a dry-hot rather than a wet-hot!

California weather is nice, it's more humid in winter than summer.

cheers,
Robbo

mickal555
2004-Nov-08, 10:17 PM

Its like hitting a brick wall even at night once it was 37 degrees.... AT night!!

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Nov-08, 10:18 PM

One of the last times it got that cold here, my eyelids froze shut. (it was windy)

Bah. It once hit -50 C windchill here. That was cold. Still prefer it to the heat, though...

Careless
2004-Nov-08, 10:34 PM

Bah. It once hit -50 C windchill here. That was cold. Still prefer it to the heat, though...
"the last time it got that cold" was a -50 f windchill, which is what, -47 C?
As for humidity, I like it cool (40-55) and very humid. And cloudy during the day. I hate the sun.

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Nov-08, 10:38 PM
Nah, -50 F is only -45.5C. :wink:

scottmsg
2004-Nov-08, 10:39 PM
I usually prefer cold weather. However, this (http://www.jasondeprospero.com/terraalta) is what winter was like around here last year, and if it's anything like that this year, my feelings towards warm weather will improve slightly.

It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
But if it weren't so hot, the humidity wouldn't matter.

Careless
aha, 45.6!

gethen
A Canadian neighbor tells me that there are two season in Northern Ontario: 9 months of Winter, and 3 months of lousy sledding.
I prefer winter. The lousy sledding season is hard on your snowshoes.

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Nov-08, 10:45 PM
aha, 45.6!

Oh? My converter must be off. Nuts.

A Canadian neighbor tells me that there are two season in Northern Ontario: 9 months of Winter, and 3 months of lousy sledding.
I prefer winter. The lousy sledding season is hard on your snowshoes.

Yeah, pretty much. :)

paulie jay
2004-Nov-09, 12:43 AM
I'm a bit of a rarity for Australia - I love the cold and I hate the sun! I particularly hate the humid summers that we have here in Sydney. It always seems that while I'm wilting form the summer heat everyone else is just laughing it up down at the beach. Well I don't like the beach either...

Winter time is when I really come alive - I just love the frosty mornings and snuggly winter nights! I also prefer winter fashions - that's when people look their best IMHO.

Today is very overcast, a little rainy and the temp is about 19 Celsius. Just right!

mickal555
2004-Nov-09, 12:55 AM
Same but here the colder it is the less clouds bonus for astronomy :D
Note: all my temps are in Centagrade

Not the scale that some sick man named Farenhight devied by using aumoniam nitrate and his underarm

Morrolan
2004-Nov-09, 03:33 AM
you can get used to both... coming from Northern Europe and now living in the tropics i can tell you that with some certainty...

that doesn't mean i don't miss the cold, tho.

ozsmurf
2004-Nov-09, 04:53 AM
Well since I live in the wonderful city of Brisbane (city motto "Brisbane it's not the heat it's the humidity") I would have to say I prefer the cold.

That said my experience of the cold in Brisbane has been, "I may need to wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt" so I don't know if that counts as cold. :)

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Nov-09, 05:05 AM
If you can't get frostbite, it ain't cold. :P

Though warm would be nice once in a while...

mickal555
2004-Nov-09, 05:35 AM
Well since I live in the wonderful city of Brisbane (city motto "Brisbane it's not the heat it's the humidity") I would have to say I prefer the cold.

That said my experience of the cold in Brisbane has been, "I may need to wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt" so I don't know if that counts as cold. :)
It douse get cold if ur out a 3am
at Qld astrofest it got down to -7

ozsmurf
2004-Nov-09, 06:04 AM
True it can get cool in the middle of the night. Was the -7 in Brisbane? If it was a bit more inland I can certainly understand. (lots if nights fishing by the side of the Condamine river prove that it does get cold in Queensland, just not often).

The point I was trying to make (badly) :oops: was that the vast majority of the time it is mild to hot. If most of the time it was icy cold I may have a different opinion.

Morrolan
2004-Nov-09, 06:20 AM
i like Brizzy weather.... btw, any of you guys get hit by he hailstorms yesterday?

mickal555
2004-Nov-09, 06:23 AM
i like Brizzy weather.... btw, any of you guys get hit by he hailstorms yesterday?
Nope bypassed south but our house got stuck by lightning a few years back

ozsmurf
2004-Nov-09, 06:28 AM
Luckily dodged the hail at both home and work. Funnily enough as I started writing this the rain started up again. It looks like we might be getting more hail today.

May be offtopic but has anyone ever noticed that hail seems to follow patterns? Where I used to live a couple of years ago we got hail all the time, but a mate who lived less than a kilometre away never got any? I would have thought that hail falling would be widespread, not localised?

Just an idle thought.

mickal555
2004-Nov-09, 06:46 AM
Luckily dodged the hail at both home and work. Funnily enough as I started writing this the rain started up again. It looks like we might be getting more hail today.

May be offtopic but has anyone ever noticed that hail seems to follow patterns? Where I used to live a couple of years ago we got hail all the time, but a mate who lived less than a kilometre away never got any? I would have thought that hail falling would be widespread, not localised?

Just an idle thought.
I live in north brisbane and it looks green to the south west

snowcelt
2004-Nov-09, 06:51 AM
The cold is much preferred. In the heat I just go torpid and drink copious cans of beer.

mickal555
2004-Nov-09, 06:54 AM
I shall bring up the point,
Cold, It is much better for astronomy (as long as you can still move) because it brings crisp, still, air; perfect seeing.

Wally
2004-Nov-09, 02:15 PM

Just an idle thought.

I'm sure our local weather people will comment better on this, but basically, hail will only fall out of the part of the storm cell where the updrafts are very strong. This is only in a small part of the cell (usually the part that produces tornados, also caused by the strong updrafts + wind shear). Hense, hail (and to a greater extent, tornados) tend to be heavily localized.

snowcelt
2004-Nov-09, 02:17 PM

Just an idle thought.

I'm sure our local weather people will comment better on this, but basically, hail will only fall out of the part of the storm cell where the updrafts are very strong. This is only in a small part of the cell (usually the part that produces tornados, also caused by the strong updrafts + wind shear). Hense, hail (and to a greater extent, tornados) tend to be heavily localized.

I believe this is called the gust front.

mickal555
2004-Nov-09, 02:18 PM
No hail but horrific storm were I was trees down power lines down traffic lights out................
At least our house did't get struck by lightning again.

Wally
2004-Nov-09, 04:55 PM

Just an idle thought.

I believe this is called the gust front.

Doesn't the "gust front" preceed the rear flanking downdraft as it gets pulled around the updraft? Point being, it really doesn't describe the "updraft" itself, does it???

snowcelt
2004-Nov-09, 05:10 PM
I stand corrected. The gust front is but the FIRST manifestation of a storm. Funny how it is that the first gust of wind, on an area which was dead calm seconds before, can through chunks of ice at you in mire seconds.

sts60
2004-Nov-09, 05:56 PM
BTW, I recall reading an article about a search for a century-old meteorite fall in "The Empty Quarter" in Saudi Arabia. "The Empty Quarter" is what the desert nomads called it. :o

The expedition drove out in (IIRC) a dozen Hummers supplied by a dealer; half the air conditioners broke down by the time they got there. The temperature was 61 degrees Celsius - it looks like a typo, but it's not. One of the scientists was out with a magnetometer for half an hour, and came back completely incoherent before they put him in front of one of the functioning A/Cs for another half hour.

A second expedition was out there for a week; at no time, day or night, did the temperature drop below 45 degrees C.

That, I respectfully submit, is a warm place. Humidity or not.

snowcelt
2004-Nov-09, 06:08 PM
I lived in Kamloops B.C. one summer. What a nightmare. Believe it or not, temperatures hit 44C on many occasions. Nice thing about the Sahara is that it gets cold at night. Try Kamloops were the sun rises at 4:30AM and sets at 11:00PM in the summer. It never cools down. The official temperature at the airport at 1:00AM was 39C. I never fell asleep for two weeks because how hot it was. I was a pheasant then, and could not afford AC.

pghnative
2004-Nov-09, 07:52 PM
I was a pheasant then...Gotta watch out for hunter's too :D :D :D

snowcelt
2004-Nov-09, 07:57 PM
I was a pheasant then...Gotta watch out for hunter's too :D :D :D

I knew there would be a sharp shooter out there. :D

Humphrey
2004-Nov-09, 08:30 PM
Did anyone else suddenly get the image of Snowcelt prancing around the valley with a deer suit on and PG snekaing out of the bushes with a shotgun? Or a Cannon?

pghnative
2004-Nov-09, 08:36 PM
Never a cannon. Maybe a Canon (http://www.canon.com/) though. What a great addition to the BABB photo thread. :lol:

snowcelt
2004-Nov-09, 08:44 PM
I'll have all of you guys knowing that if I was in a deer suit I would not be prancing: perhaps hopping, maybe even sashaying---prancing? Never.