PDA

View Full Version : Snow!!

Normandy6644
2004-Nov-09, 02:23 AM
It's snowing here in Ithaca, NY tonight! That's not exactly unusual, but I'm from Florida (mostly) and it's been awhile since I've seen snow, so yay!! :D

Morrolan
2004-Nov-09, 02:54 AM
28 degrees Celsius here, today... no snow... no chance... :cry:

gethen
2004-Nov-09, 03:02 AM
21F here at the moment. It's clear now, but we did have snow flurries earlier. Can't wait until there's enough to try out the new snowshoes!

Tensor
2004-Nov-09, 03:22 AM
It's snowing here in Ithaca, NY tonight! That's not exactly unusual, but I'm from Florida (mostly) and it's been awhile since I've seen snow, so yay!! :D

I don't know, I'm kinda enjoying the weather here now (hi 78, low 58 )

SciFi Chick
2004-Nov-09, 03:27 AM
Wow. I've never been anywhere that it snows this soon. It probably won't snow here until January.

Normandy6644
2004-Nov-09, 03:37 AM

I don't know, I'm kinda enjoying the weather here now (hi 78, low 58 )

Haha, yeah I was talking to my mom who lives up in Pasco County and she's saying how it's been in the 80s and such. I am certainly enjoying my new climate though. :D

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Nov-09, 03:39 AM
Wow. I've never been anywhere that it snows this soon. It probably won't snow here until January.

We had snow on Saturday. Nothing stayed on the ground, but still.

Sever
2004-Nov-09, 04:29 AM
It snowed a month or two ago here. Now it has all melted. :(

Humphrey
2004-Nov-09, 04:35 AM
Grumble....12 years since ive seen snow hit the ground...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Nov-09, 05:07 AM
I'd mail you some but, well, that doesn't work.

scottmsg
2004-Nov-09, 05:41 AM
I think tonight is the first time it's been below freezing here in Morgantown, WV since last winter, but there's no snow in the forecast.

I usually like snow when I'm in a place where supposed to snow. When I was in college here, my brother and I drove down to the Mississippi Gulf Coast to visit our parents who moved there a few months earlier. When I left Morgantown it was about 60 degrees. The next day (it's a 16 hour drive), when we made it to southern Alabama, it began to snow. There was enough snow and wind to make it hard to see when we were around Mobile, AL. At our parent's house, the ground was covered with about half an inch of snow.

My first day of winter vacation, I'm about two miles from the Gulf of Mexico, and it SNOWING :evil: :evil: :evil: !

It all melted the next day though. At least when I made it back up here, the cold weather was back to its proper place.

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-09, 06:27 AM
I like snow the first time it snows. Then the second time, then a few other times.
Come February, however... :evil:

snowcelt
2004-Nov-09, 06:34 AM
Had a pretty good blast of snow about a month ago. Most of it melted. It is raining as I look out the window. It is 11:30 PM. I expect that this will soon turn to the dreaded white stuff.

mickal555
2004-Nov-09, 10:42 AM
I have never seen snow whats it like what douse it smell like taste like? or Feel like? (espessuly), what noise douse it make if you hit it? is it hard or soft? do snowballs hurt? what douse it look like white? how pure and bright?
Is it the most wonderfullthing in the world? can you mail me some please?
please help

Moose
2004-Nov-09, 11:12 AM
There's three or four inches on the ground right now, as of last thursday. A bit of an early start for us. We usually don't see much until December.

Wally
2004-Nov-09, 12:52 PM
Well, having spent a good part of last Sat. afternoon taking the mower deck off the tractor and putting on the blower, wheel weights, rear platform & rear weight, and the tire chains, I say "let it snow!!!"

Actually, every year when it comes time to swap the deck with the blower, I wonder why the heck I don't just hire a plowing service. . . :-?

SciFi Chick
2004-Nov-09, 01:15 PM
We had our first frost last night. Death to all spiders! :D

Glom
2004-Nov-09, 01:19 PM
:o You do realise that snow contains crystallised hydroxylic acid, don't you? This stuff can be highly damaging if it comes into direct contact with the skin for prolonged periods of time. Hazmat!

mickal555
2004-Nov-09, 01:33 PM
:o You do realise that snow contains crystallised hydroxylic acid, don't you? This stuff can be highly damaging if it comes into direct contact with the skin for prolonged periods of time. Hazmat!
I like dihydrogen Monoxide better personaly, it is now my favorite word. :P

frogesque
2004-Nov-09, 01:44 PM
I have never seen snow whats it like what douse it smell like taste like? or Feel like? (espessuly), what noise douse it make if you hit it? is it hard or soft? do snowballs hurt? what douse it look like white? how pure and bright?
please help

You can always make your own (http://www.its.caltech.edu/%7Eatomic/snowcrystals/). :)

mickal555
2004-Nov-09, 01:51 PM
please help

You can always make your own (http://www.its.caltech.edu/%7Eatomic/snowcrystals/). :)
I tried that (smashing ice cubes) dad said thats crushed ice, not snow......

Grizzly
2004-Nov-09, 02:54 PM
please help

There's no one answer Mickal...

There's wet snow, the heavy kind that causes heart attacks for people trying to shovel it, there's ice pellets, there's sleet, there's cold dry snow that drifts like fine talcum powder, there's the light fluffy stuff that Hollywood likes to depict...

Snow sounds... hmmm. You CAN hear it falling depending on the type of snow. There's nothing like a walk in the snow on an evening away from the city noise.

Walking on it is something different. If it's cold and hard and compact it scrunches, sometimes squeaks. -30c you know it will squeak. But the fluffy stuff is mostly quiet.

Colour? White. But dig in to a drift or hardened pack and you'll sometimes get this amazing blue. It is water after all.

My mother had spent most of her childhood prior to the war and then during the war in parts of the world where there was no snow. Returning to our wonderful climate her first experience of snow wasn't the cold, it was heat. She thought that it burned!

Do snowballs hurt? Again, depends on the type of snow. Iceballs or slushballs can raise a bruise. Ah the joys of having an out and out snowball fight. We're on a cul-de-sac with 7 houses. No kids except for our own, but the big boys (Dads...) had a knock-em-down-drag-em-out-no-holds-barred snowball fight last year. It was a blast.

C'mon up and enjoy winter with us...

----
Nisi credideritis, non intelligetis
Unless you will have believed, you will not understand

mickal555
2004-Nov-09, 02:58 PM
please help

There's no one answer Mickal...

There's wet snow, the heavy kind that causes heart attacks for people trying to shovel it, there's ice pellets, there's sleet, there's cold dry snow that drifts like fine talcum powder, there's the light fluffy stuff that Hollywood likes to depict...

Snow sounds... hmmm. You CAN hear it falling depending on the type of snow. There's nothing like a walk in the snow on an evening away from the city noise.

Walking on it is something different. If it's cold and hard and compact it scrunches, sometimes squeaks. -30c you know it will squeak. But the fluffy stuff is mostly quiet.

Colour? White. But dig in to a drift or hardened pack and you'll sometimes get this amazing blue. It is water after all.

My mother had spent most of her childhood prior to the war and then during the war in parts of the world where there was no snow. Returning to our wonderful climate her first experience of snow wasn't the cold, it was heat. She thought that it burned!

Do snowballs hurt? Again, depends on the type of snow. Iceballs or slushballs can raise a bruise. Ah the joys of having an out and out snowball fight. We're on a cul-de-sac with 7 houses. No kids except for our own, but the big boys (Dads...) had a knock-em-down-drag-em-out-no-holds-barred snowball fight last year. It was a blast.

C'mon up and enjoy winter with us...

----
Nisi credideritis, non intelligetis
Unless you will have believed, you will not understand
Wow Cool thanks
um why douse everyone say not to eat yellow snow? what about yellow snow cones?

snowcelt
2004-Nov-09, 03:03 PM
In the words of the immortal Frank Zappa...

Way up North were the Huskies go
Don't you eat that yellow snow

kucharek
2004-Nov-09, 03:04 PM
How's snow? That's really difficult, besides the physical properties.
What I also like about snow: It not only softens the view of the landscape, but also damps a lot of noise, so the world also sounds much more tranquil and peaceful. And at night, in the city, it gives a glowing brightness to the world, as it reflects lot of light towards the low clouds. I know, light pollution and all that stuff. But snow in the city at night has some magic.
Oh, and the biggest plus of snow: No problem to get the kids out the house in winter :-)

Harald

PS: Today, we have the first day with snow in larger areas in the south of Germany. What I really don't like: This evening, as every year, news will be full with snowy streets and cars pushed by people and traffic jams due to the snow and and and. Every time it snows it is the same picture and it seems that people never learn to prepare. Every time they are caught by surprise when it snows...

Argos
2004-Nov-09, 03:18 PM
Every time they are caught by surprise when it snows...

I´d say the same about summer floods down here...

Wally
2004-Nov-09, 04:52 PM
[
Wow Cool thanks

Uhm. Just keep in mind what color urine is, then put 2 and 2 together :wink:

Candy
2004-Nov-09, 05:04 PM
http://home.att.net/~candy.stair/snowflk.gif
The beauty of white snow.

2004-Nov-09, 05:12 PM
We could even have some of the "white stuff" over here this weekend? We, on n-w, are getting excited... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CTM VT 2K
2004-Nov-09, 06:15 PM
PS: Today, we have the first day with snow in larger areas in the south of Germany. What I really don't like: This evening, as every year, news will be full with snowy streets and cars pushed by people and traffic jams due to the snow and and and. Every time it snows it is the same picture and it seems that people never learn to prepare. Every time they are caught by surprise when it snows...

:cry: We have only rain today up my way. I all but missed snow last year in Arizona, so I have been really looking forward to seeing snow again this year. wetter.com didn't seem to indicate much in the way of snow in Baden Württemberg today, and certainly none in Mannheim

Tero
2004-Nov-09, 06:27 PM
No snow here yet. That's a bit unusual. I don't mind because it's easier to get around without all the slippery stuff. I ride a bicycle all year round and it's pretty challenging sometimes :) Actually hard snow gives surprisingly good traction. Water on ice, now that's slippery!

When we get a snow cover, the night sky is ruined because the snow reflects the light from street lights etc. to the sky.

CTM VT 2K
2004-Nov-09, 06:47 PM
<dusting snow off self> I retract my previous statement! </dusting snow> I just stepped out for a bit, and discovered that the snow indeed is flying in Mannheim.

kucharek
2004-Nov-09, 06:53 PM
<dusting snow off self> I retract my previous statement! </dusting snow> I just stepped out for a bit, and discovered that the snow indeed is flying in Mannheim.

Really? Here in Karlsruhe, it still rains. But, of course, we are closer to the equator here! :lol:

CTM VT 2K
2004-Nov-09, 07:17 PM

Really? Here in Karlsruhe, it still rains. But, of course, we are closer to the equator here! :lol:

Bah! Only by 60km! It's not sticking to the ground - too wet - but elevated surfaces are slushing up, and will probably freeze hard tonight. Hmm... maybe I can get a late start at work tomorrow... 8-[

Gramma loreto
2004-Nov-09, 08:02 PM
About 24 inches (61cm) total snow fall here in the Anchorage area so far (slightly more at my home), since the second week in October. Forecast for today is 35°F (~2°C), with snow flurries turning to rain. Ack!

One of my favorite forms of snow is grappel...I like the looks of it (like tiny snowballs) and the way it's formed interests me. My least favorite is wet, heavy snow.

Our first snow of the year was such with leaves still on the trees. Those leaves trapped much more snow than is usual in winter. The weight of it uprooted two trees in my yard, snapped two more in half, with one narrowly missing a bank of picture windows, both upstairs and down. The tops of many trees were bent to the ground, so they wouldn't recover. I wore out one chainsaw meant for occasional, non-lumberjacking use only and had to buy another, only much sturdier. I still have a few more trees to remove.

But this hasn't soured me on snow. I still like each season in its turn and the changes each brings.

2004-Nov-09, 08:23 PM
Ah, snow. I hope we get some this year. Usually we just end up getting maybe a half inch to an inch and it's gone within a few hours to a day tops. Some years we don't get any except for some flurries every now and then. :-(

Silent Knight
2004-Nov-10, 12:25 AM
We had snow in Northern Utah on October 25, but it melted quickly. I don't think it has snowed since.

kucharek
2004-Nov-10, 06:55 AM
This morning, we have a few milimeters of snow lying around on colder spots. But it's pretty wet - no snowball fights.

http://img130.exs.cx/img130/2380/IMG_2903.th.jpg (http://img130.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img130&image=IMG_2903.jpg)

Here (http://www.volkswohnung.com/webcam/start.htm) some webcams close to where I live.

Harald

dvb
2004-Nov-10, 10:14 AM
Wow Cool thanks

Snow turns yellow when you pee in it. While pee is sterile, I still wouldn't want to eat any snow that's been pee'd in.

As for snow around here, there hasn't been a whole lot this year. It's snowed out a couple of times so far, but it ended up melting. I've been pretty fortunate, and it's turned out to be an Indian summer for the most part. Our summer wasn't the greatest and turned out to be pretty cold, so I'm not complaining too much about the weather now. :)

Last year the snow didn't come until after christmas, which is a first for me.

Strange weather it's been lately! :-?

Edit: Didn't see the second page to this thread, and now I see that Wally has already answered mickal's question.

mickal555
2004-Nov-10, 10:22 AM
Wow Cool thanks

Snow turns yellow when you pee in it. While pee is sterile, I still wouldn't want to eat any snow that's been pee'd in.

Thats lucky then 8-[

BTY How could you pee in snow would't you get frostbite 8-[

frogesque
2004-Nov-10, 10:36 AM
Carefull guys, this is a family board [-X

mickal555
2004-Nov-10, 10:41 AM
[Hangs head in shame]
:oops:

dvb
2004-Nov-10, 10:43 AM

Now now, it's a natural bodily function. :P

And he wanted to know anyways. I can't hide the truth. ;)

mickal555
2004-Nov-10, 10:52 AM

Its quoted so much..... without explination.............. must I be Ignorent, for as long as I live am I cursed to live in a world, where the only white thing is clouds, why is life unfair, why.......... WHYYYYYYYYYY I ask........

The truth I can't handle the truth

frogesque
2004-Nov-10, 11:04 AM

Its quoted so much..... without explination.............. must I be Ignorent, for as long as I live am I cursed to live in a world, where the only white thing is clouds, why is life unfair, why.......... WHYYYYYYYYYY I ask........

The truth I can't handle the truth

Locker room humour.

Kids especially love to eat snow (it has an odd taste from the disolved gasses and particles it collects on the way down) but cats, dogs, other animals and some people still do what they have to do so it isn't a good idea to eat snow that has be 'dyed'. There are similar stories about blue ice (aircraft tiolet waste that gets frozen at about 30,000ft. and sometimes falls off as the 'plane warms up when it comes in to land). So don't eat yellow snow or blue ice!

dvb
2004-Nov-10, 11:19 AM

Just wait till you shovel it, or have to wake up one morning on a cold winter day, and find you have to shovel your car out of the driveway to get to work. When you finally manage to clear all the snow, you find your car doesn't start because the battery died from the cold weather.

What's really fun is when you can't wait for your car to warm up to melt the frost off of the windows. So you take the window scraper, and make a small 10x10cm square to see out of while your driving. This can be quite the sight on some winter mornings as you watch other cars driving by. One of the strangest things I've noticed living in Winnipeg during the winter, is that many people wrap their extension cord around the side mirror, so they can plug their car in when they leave home and need to park it somewhere else. Winnipeg is one of the colder cities to live in in this country. The land is very flat, and the wind very cold.

Fun fun fun! :D

mickal555
2004-Nov-10, 11:22 AM

Just wait till you shovel it, or have to wake up one morning on a cold winter day, and find you have to shovel your car out of the driveway to get to work. When you finally manage to clear all the snow, you find your car doesn't start because the battery died from the cold weather.

What's really fun is when you can't wait for your car to warm up to melt the frost off of the windows. So you take the window scraper, and make a small 10x10cm square to see out of while your driving. This can be quite the sight on some winter mornings as you watch other cars driving by. One of the strangest things I've noticed living in Winnipeg during the winter, is that many people wrap their extension cord around the side mirror, so they can plug their car in when they leave home and need to park it somewhere else. Winnipeg is one of the colder cities to live in in this country. The land is very flat, and the wind very cold.

Plug their car in :o What the.........?

dvb
2004-Nov-10, 11:26 AM

Yes, most people plug their car into a power outlet in the winter to keep the engine block warm, and so the car will start easier. I don't know if Australian cars have block heaters or not, but you can usually tell if there's a small electrical plug hanging out of the front grill.

kucharek
2004-Nov-10, 11:29 AM

Yes, most people plug their car into a power outlet in the winter to keep the engine block warm, and so the car will start easier. I don't know if Australian cars have block heaters or not, but you can usually tell if there's a small electrical plug hanging out of the front grill.
I guess you have such a thing only in extreme cold countries.
And, just if people start to think here there's no snow anywhere in Oz:
http://www.honeysucklecreek.net/people/stories.html#H5

Harald

mickal555
2004-Nov-10, 11:31 AM
hahahah................................. no :-s
:lol: Thats so cute
The only problem we have is leaving on the frountlights then we call RACQ

frogesque
2004-Nov-10, 11:40 AM
Once you get below -10C battery chargers and jump leads are a way of life (along with shovels in the boot {trunk}, old sacking, blankets and extra clothing). I suppose the mirror is as handy a place as any to hang a mains extension cord for those 'special occasions'. A great community spirit usually develops on the 'help and be helped' principle. Cars get pushed, jump started or otherwise made mobile. The oddest one I've seen is a lorry park where drivers had a diesel fire going. Once one truck got mobile they would use it to tow another one onto the fire to thaw out the fuel lines. NOT recommended practice!

mickal555
2004-Nov-10, 11:47 AM

I guess you have such a thing only in extreme cold countries.
And, just if people start to think here there's no snow anywhere in Oz:
http://www.honeysucklecreek.net/people/stories.html#H5

Harald
Australia is longer in lat than the U.S (ex. Snowdog world) so we get both worlds we are a tiny bit thinner
I wont even go into the U.K :wink:

Maksutov
2004-Nov-10, 12:00 PM

Man, how long you been up there? You ALWAYS try to start your car first. Then, if the battery's dead, there's no need to shovel the driveway.

What's really fun is when you can't wait for your car to warm up to melt the frost off of the windows. So you take the window scraper, and make a small 10x10cm square to see out of while your driving. This can be quite the sight on some winter mornings as you watch other cars driving by.
Common in parts of New England. When it's around -10 F or less, the defroster doesn't have a chance.

One of the strangest things I've noticed living in Winnipeg during the winter, is that many people wrap their extension cord around the side mirror, so they can plug their car in when they leave home and need to park it somewhere else. Winnipeg is one of the colder cities to live in in this country. The land is very flat, and the wind very cold.

Yup. The plug typically runs to a modified dipstick that keeps the oil and block warm. Works pretty good, unless you're diesel, in which case you're out of luck (without the additional heaters).

Maksutov
2004-Nov-10, 12:25 PM
BTW, you want cold and snowy? Try this place. I've climbed it seven times, and the weather up there is always a treat!

http://img19.exs.cx/img19/1504/MtWashington.th.jpg (http://img19.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img19&image=MtWashington.jpg)

Winds are pretty light today. They were gusting over 100 MPH a couple days ago.