PDA

View Full Version : BA's Movie Reviews...

SiriMurthy
2004-Nov-09, 05:54 PM
Has anyone noticed that we haven't had a movie reviewed in quite some time? I love to read BA's movie reviews.

Swift
2004-Nov-09, 06:03 PM
I've noticed. The movie reviews are what attracted me first to this site. Maybe there have not been a lot of movies with astronomy references lately, good or bad. Or maybe the BA is too busy with other stuff.

Captain Kidd
2004-Nov-09, 07:14 PM
He was asked that at Columbus, GA and IIRC he said basically what Swift guessed: short on time and movies with astronomy.

Any good ones coming down the pike?

frenat
2004-Nov-09, 08:51 PM

Well there is Star Wars Episode 3 but that doesn't come out until next May.

SiriMurthy
2004-Nov-09, 09:57 PM

How about The Day After Tomorrow?

Captain Kidd
2004-Nov-09, 10:25 PM

That's not really astronomy related.

Well there is Star Wars Episode 3 but that doesn't come out until next May.My question still stands on any good movies. ;) Sorry, but after Eps 1 & 2 I invested in a salt mine and decided not to take those breath holding classes after all.

Makgraf
2004-Nov-10, 12:23 AM

That's not really astronomy related.

Well there is Star Wars Episode 3 but that doesn't come out until next May.My question still stands on any good movies. ;) Sorry, but after Eps 1 & 2 I invested in a salt mine and decided not to take those breath holding classes after all.
The trailer for RotS looks pretty cool. Of course the trailer for Episode 1 was also really good (evem Jar Jar was good in that trailer). So given Lucas' track record with the prequels... probably not going to be a good movie :(.

frenat
2004-Nov-10, 01:23 AM
Maybe George Lucas should just make 2 hours of trailers? :D

Captain Kidd
2004-Nov-10, 01:46 AM
The guy can do good trailers, I'll give him that. There's been many a movie where I've enjoyed the trailer more than the actual movie. (Heh, I'm almost a trailer connoisseur. ;) )

Doe, John
2004-Nov-10, 02:49 AM
Remember that cable tv show, I think it was on USA Network, that was nothing but trailers, it was called iirc "Trailer Park" how original :roll:

sarongsong
2004-Nov-10, 03:44 AM
Hadn't planned on seeing "The Motorcycle Diaries" until last night's glowing interview with its Brazilian director, Walter Salles, and Executive Producer Robert Redford, on Tavis Smiley (http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/archive/200411/20041108.html). Anybody seen it yet?

Humphrey
2004-Nov-10, 03:50 AM
Remember that cable tv show, I think it was on USA Network, that was nothing but trailers, it was called iirc "Trailer Park" how original :roll:

I think you are talking about the E! show. All they do is preview trailers of movies.

Swift
2004-Nov-10, 01:44 PM
I loved that show! I'd pay to watch two hours of trailers, they are often better than the movie. How about a trailer film festival? The trailer for the original The Exorcist is even more scary than the movie.

Doe, John
2004-Nov-11, 12:02 AM

I think you are talking about the E! show. All they do is preview trailers of movies.
No, cause it wasn't just previews. They'd show trailers from classics like "Gone With The Wind", "Casablanca", "Vampire Women from the Moon", and "Wizard of Oz". (ok maybe there wasn't a movie called Vampire Women from the Moon, but there oughta be :D

Herodotus
2004-Nov-11, 12:30 AM
Hadn't planned on seeing "The Motorcycle Diaries" until last night's glowing interview with its Brazilian director, Walter Salles, and Executive Producer Robert Redford, on Tavis Smiley (http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/archive/200411/20041108.html). Anybody seen it yet?

I saw the "Motorcylce Diaries" this weekend. Its a good road movie, though it does drag the last half-hour at the Leper Colony (of Heavy-Handed Symbolism) watch it and you'll know what I mean. :D Great locations and good performances make it well worth the time.
However, I may have been a little harsh on the movie after what happend at dinner beforehand. I was to meet a friend I was going to see it with at a resturant. Forty-minutes after getting there she still hadn't shown and no call so I figure time to go home and call it a night. As I'm walking out there she is at another table in another part of the place getting ready to go too. :oops: I blame the waiters.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-11, 12:58 AM

No, cause it wasn't just previews. They'd show trailers from classics like "Gone With The Wind", "Casablanca", "Vampire Women from the Moon", and "Wizard of Oz". (ok maybe there wasn't a movie called Vampire Women from the Moon, but there oughta be :D

Damn. I wish i cought the show. Sounds really cool. :-)

Brady Yoon
2004-Nov-11, 06:34 AM
I'm starting to miss movies like Armageddon and Asteroid... Bad astronomy movies are better than none at all... :(

Kebsis
2004-Nov-11, 08:08 AM

I remember that. It was on the Sci-Fi channel.

mickal555
2004-Nov-11, 08:54 AM
I think the BA might have scared all the astronomy movie makers away :o .

SiriMurthy
2004-Nov-11, 04:06 PM

=D> Just what I was going to say. You beat me to it.

Hey, ain't it something if BA can influence the movie makers to put good astronomy in the movies?

I want to tell you this:

My daughter saw parts of the movie Armageddon in her friend's house and she wanted me buy the DVD. I told her about the bad astronomy (actually egregious astronomy) in that movie and made her read BA's review on Armageddon.

Needless to say, she was not convinced. Then I rented the movie ( :evil: ), took a printout of BA's review and watched the movie with her going over the review at the same time, explaining why the movie is so bad.

Result: I saved about $20.00 that I could spend on something else. :D

mickal555
2004-Nov-12, 05:36 AM

=D> Just what I was going to say. You beat me to it.

Hey, ain't it something if BA can influence the movie makers to put good astronomy in the movies?

I want to tell you this:

My daughter saw parts of the movie Armageddon in her friend's house and she wanted me buy the DVD. I told her about the bad astronomy (actually egregious astronomy) in that movie and made her read BA's review on Armageddon.

Needless to say, she was not convinced. Then I rented the movie ( :evil: ), took a printout of BA's review and watched the movie with her going over the review at the same time, explaining why the movie is so bad.

Result: I saved about $20.00 that I could spend on something else. :D
:P

sarongsong
2004-Nov-15, 07:31 AM
...I saw the "Motorcylce Diaries" this weekend. Its a good road movie, though it does drag the last half-hour at the Leper Colony (of Heavy-Handed Symbolism) watch it and you'll know what I mean. :D Great locations and good performances make it well worth the time.
However, I may have been a little harsh on the movie after what happend at dinner beforehand...
Well, your dinner plans were unfortunate :cry: , but I agree the movie was worth seeing, if only to see how well a non-Hollywood tribute can be expressed. No glitz whatsoever; a somewhat somber assessment of Che's early years (born 14th June, 1928 at Rosario, Argentina. Killed 9th of October 1967, near Villagrande, Bolivia), despite the occasional levity, under chilly South American skies, concluding with the notation of the CIA's involvement in his death, and his buddy's founding of a Cuban hospital and his present-day survival. (Guvera would be 76, had not history intervened.) Leaves plenty of room for a sequel, as the word 'Che' was not yet used in this portrayal.