PDA

View Full Version : Right or Left Handed

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-10, 02:23 AM
Ok, I can't help but wonder: what is the ratio here between right and left-handed people? There might have been a survey in threads past but it was awhile back and there have been new arrivals since. :)
I'd consider myself a lefty because the most important thing really, writing, I do with that hand. However there are a few things I do right-handed because my right hand is stronger, such as dribbling a basketball. I also write with my right hand on blackboards for an unknown reason in handwriting that looks completely different...
All in all it's a good combo for playing my violin! 8)

Lurker
2004-Nov-10, 02:27 AM
I am extremely left handed... the one thing that I find interesting though is the fact that I cannot use a left handed mouse -- go figure...

NASA Fan
2004-Nov-10, 02:27 AM
You should have "ambidexterous" since I am sure there are some who are.

R.A.F.
2004-Nov-10, 02:31 AM

Yep, that's me! :) Though I write left handed. And you're right, Andromeda, it comes in very handy (pun intended) if you play the violin...I always considered it an unfair advantage. :lol:

scottmsg
2004-Nov-10, 02:44 AM
I generally write with my left hand, although I have found myself using my right hand when writing on a blackboard without realizing it. I golf and throw right-handed, but bat left-handed.

JFM
2004-Nov-10, 02:57 AM
I think many are ambi'. I play guitar as a leftie, play tennis with either easily, but eat, write etc, as a righty. Go figure.

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Nov-10, 02:58 AM
Righty here.

Normandy6644
2004-Nov-10, 03:00 AM
I'm right handed. I taught myself how to switch hit in baseball, but that's as lefty as I get.

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-10, 03:07 AM
Dangnabbit the forum demon stole that category! I so had it listed! #-o
Ok for polling purposes pick whichever hand you write with predominantly.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-10, 03:52 AM
Write only with Right. But nearly everything else i do equally left or right.

Funny thing is i write absolutly horribly right handed and i am begining to think im actually left handed but forced to be right handed. But since i have never learned to write left handed thats really bad. :-)

mickal555
2004-Nov-10, 04:18 AM
I was born left handed like my sisters but at the preschool I was made to write with my right hand now I can "write" with both I'm better right handed my even so my writing is realy messy and I think that may be the problem if I started writing with one I should have sticked with it so............... I don't know what to think

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Nov-10, 04:20 AM
Why would anyone be forced to write with the wrong hand? You'd think teachers would realize that this is a mistake.

mickal555
2004-Nov-10, 04:37 AM
Why would anyone be forced to write with the wrong hand? You'd think teachers would realize that this is a mistake.
I was more suggested and I just did what every one else did.

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Nov-10, 05:09 AM
Ah. Got it. I was picturing some sort of overbearing, mean-spirited teacher here. :)

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-10, 05:25 AM
I am the only lefty in the family so my mom was under the impression that being a lefty would hinder me later in life. So I learned to write with both hands fairly well until first grade when I learned my teacher was left handed. That was the end of that. :)

xbck1
2004-Nov-10, 06:27 AM
*raises middle hand*

Lurker
2004-Nov-10, 06:34 AM
I am the only lefty in the family so my mom was under the impression that being a lefty would hinder me later in life. So I learned to write with both hands fairly well until first grade when I learned my teacher was left handed. That was the end of that. :)
Actually left handed people live slightly shorter lives than right handed. Its because we are an oppressed minority that must live in a right handed world. Seriously though... they have slightly more accidents of all types because the world is right handed.

When I was a child my father tried to teach me to tie a tie. He was annoyed because I could not seem to do it correctly. After he tried to tie his tie left handed he found out that it was an asymmetric operation and that lefties had to change hands in the middle.

LEFTIES UNITE!!!! :x
Throwoff the shackles of the right handed world!! We will NEVER submit!!!

Did I take my medication this morning?? :-k

CTM VT 2K
2004-Nov-10, 07:07 AM
Lefty trained from infancy as a Righty... so I'm now equally bad with both hands. #-o I type left-handed, but use the mouse with the right. I kinda switch around, and train one hand for some things, and the other hand for others. I would best qualify today as an Ambi.

mickal555
2004-Nov-10, 07:24 AM
Lefty trained from infancy as a Righty... so I'm now equally bad with both hands. #-o I type left-handed, but use the mouse with the right. I kinda switch around, and train one hand for some things, and the other hand for others. I would best qualify today as an Ambi.
Same sorta thing with me but I type proberly with both hands at the same time :wink:

CTM VT 2K
2004-Nov-10, 07:38 AM
Same sorta thing with me but I type proberly with both hands at the same time :wink:

Usually I type with both hand, but I can type entirely with my left hand (really type, not hunt-and-peck), but not with my right. I can use the mouse only with my right, not with my left. Basically, I trained my left hand to use the whole keyboard, and the right hand to use the mouse. I could have gone the other way - and still could - but it's not worth the effort. Still, I have a ways to go to catch up to my father and his 120wpm rate. :o

dvb
2004-Nov-10, 10:34 AM
I eat with both hands, and I type with both hands. I'm predominantly right handed though, as I write and do everything else with my right hand.

mickal555
2004-Nov-10, 10:38 AM
I eat with both hands, and I type with both hands. I'm predominantly right handed though, as I write and do everything else with my right hand.
I use a knife and a spork (fork slash :-s [thing used to dig.... food]

dvb
2004-Nov-10, 10:42 AM

Do you really use a spork? I've never seen or used one before myself. Is this common to Australia and other parts of the world?

mickal555
2004-Nov-10, 10:45 AM

Do you really use a spork? I've never seen or used one before myself. Is this common to Australia and other parts of the world?
No, only with kiwi's

Edit: The fruit not the bird 8-[

Edit: Or the Newzealand people :o

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-10, 09:10 PM
Actually left handed people live slightly shorter lives than right handed. Its because we are an oppressed minority that must live in a right handed world. Seriously though... they have slightly more accidents of all types because the world is right handed.

*snip*

LEFTIES UNITE!!!!
Throwoff the shackles of the right handed world!! We will NEVER submit!!!

Did I take my medication this morning??

Well as long as we're at it, lefites are more likely to be geniuses, end up in insane asylums, and die using power tools. Ah the joys of what I have to look forward to in life! :P

Sticks
2004-Nov-10, 10:51 PM
This link (http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk) may be of interest

I and my mother are both left handed and my mother was caned (beaten with a stick) for writing with her left hand.

I went through school in a more enlighten era.

Perhaps the objection was because:
Cain killed Able with his left hand, alegedly, as this is not in the Genesis account
The Devil is left handed (Still no scriptural avidence)
The sheep went to the right and the goats to the left (Matthew 25:32 - 46)

They forget that Ehud (Judges 3:15) was a judge called by God and was left handed, which proved useful.

Personally I am completely left handed.

I use a left handed mouse at work and at home.

tjm220
2004-Nov-10, 11:11 PM
A bit to the left for me, otherwise pretty equal. My writing is best with my left and my throwing is better with my right.

Careless
2004-Nov-10, 11:16 PM
The left hand has been "bad" for a very very long time because modern sanitary inventions like toilet paper are, well, basically modern.
there are still parts of the world where you really would not want to shake someone's left hand.

Brady Yoon
2004-Nov-11, 06:35 AM
Right. If I had to use my left, I'd be crippled...

Sticks
2007-Jul-31, 12:53 PM
According to this news story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6923577.stm), I may have a raised risk of schizophrenia :eh::eek:

Yet another weapon to beat us lefties up :(

SeanF
2007-Jul-31, 04:43 PM
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

(I'm a righty, by the way, through and through).

farmerjumperdon
2007-Jul-31, 05:23 PM
Mostly ambidextrous, if that is a valid use of the term.

LEFT - Throw a ball

RIGHT - Swing a bat

BOTH - Swing rackets, eat, write, dribble, and everything else I can think of off the top of my head.

I shoot lefty, but that has to do with a vision problem.
My penmanship is better with the left, but only marginally - and my penmanship is pretty lousy anyway. But then I almost always flip burgers with my right.

Throwing a ball and swinging a bat are really the only things I can think of that I can not do with either hand.

WaxRubiks
2007-Jul-31, 06:17 PM
I am right handed but because of some damage to my right elbow I use my left hand more often and I use my left hand for operating my mouse. It is an ordinary mouse and I have no problem with it; is there any real need for a "left hand" mouse?

Sticks
2007-Jul-31, 07:13 PM
is there any real need for a "left hand" mouse?

Yes, because from bitter experience when you have to use an ergonomically designed right handed mouse, it causes pains in the wrist. My current ones are ergonomically neutral.

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Jul-31, 07:22 PM
I'm right-handed but I stir my drinks counter-clockwise. On the rare occasion where I stir a drink left-handed, I stir clockwise. Hmmm... :think:

WaxRubiks
2007-Jul-31, 07:24 PM
Yes, because from bitter experience when you have to use an ergonomically designed right handed mouse, it causes pains in the wrist. My current ones are ergonomically neutral.

Ah, mine must be ergonomically neutral too then.

It does look symmetrical.

Click Ticker
2007-Jul-31, 07:26 PM
I eat with my mouth.

Everything else I do right handed (although I do use proper typing technique, which requires both hands). I've often wondered whether or not I would miss my left hand should I lose it (beyond cosmetic reasons).

Seems to be most lefty's tend to be far more ambidextrous than righty's. Obviously due to being taught most things by right handed people and by living in a right handed world. My grandfather would get cracked in the hand with a ruler for using his left. My brother writes left and uses dinner utensils left, however he bats and throws right.

Fazor
2007-Jul-31, 07:35 PM
I always thought my left hand was completely useless. That is, until that magical day when I discovered a wonderful use for it...

...Not that, get your minds out of the gutter! Anyway, in seriousness, I really do find my left hand pretty useless. But when I picked up the guitar, which is what I was refering to, it amazed me that the use of the left hand is far more dexterous than the strumming of the right (I haven't got fingerpicking down, which seems to even the playing field a bit). The part that amazed me was even though I'm lousy at just about everything with my left, I didn't find the use of it for guitar to be awkward in the least.

Now perhapse this was just a side-effect from my years of piano experience (so I guess I lied, my left hand could do that fairly well too).

But as for anything else, such as writing, eating, throwing, etc... I could be confused for being MRDD if anyone watched me attempt it left handedly.

Jens
2007-Aug-01, 06:07 AM
LEFT - Throw a ball

RIGHT - Swing a bat

I do everything with my left hand. But actually, I swing a bat with both hands. Same with a golf club. I can't do it easily with one hand (either side). ;)

BTW, I should just mention that this poll is probably biased. I automatically look at any topic that deals with left-handedness, and probably would not do so if I were right-handed. I think that this thread will probably attract a higher percentage of lefties than righties, because we tend to be more interested in the subject.

Jens
2007-Aug-01, 06:09 AM
And while I'm at it, people sometimes accuse me of playing guitar right-handed. But I don't. I hold down the chords with my left hand, and I strum with my right. I play both-handed.

Sticks
2007-Aug-01, 12:36 PM
A reminder

From the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6923577.stm)

Scientists have discovered the first gene which appears to increase the odds of being left-handed.
The Oxford University-led team believe carrying the gene may also slightly raise the risk of developing psychotic mental illness such as schizophrenia.

I do think that this report puts left handed people in a negative light

However, Dr Francks said left-handed people should not be worried by the links between handedness and schizophrenia.

He said: "There are many factors which make individuals more likely to develop schizophrenia and the vast majority of left-handers will never develop a problem.

Yeah - but there is an inuendo there, some might reason "I know the chance is small, but they say there is a link, so why take the risk, better go for a safer option of a right hander.

So when do we have to start wearing a gold star :mad:

Sticks
2007-Aug-01, 01:02 PM
Unclean, Unclean, Unclean (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/31/nleft131a.xml)

SeanF
2007-Aug-01, 02:19 PM
I do everything with my left hand. But actually, I swing a bat with both hands. Same with a golf club. I can't do it easily with one hand (either side). ;)
Doing something "right-handed" doesn't mean you do it solely with your right hand, you know. :)

In fact, it doesn't even mean you do it with your right hand at all. Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLnJ_vK3uHc) a video of a one-armed Japanese baseball player. Note that although he's missing his right arm, he bats right-handed.

Peter Wilson
2007-Aug-01, 11:17 PM
I'm right-handed but I stir my drinks counter-clockwise. On the rare occasion where I stir a drink left-handed, I stir clockwise. Hmmm... :think:
I stir clockwise. On the rare occasion when I drink in the southern hemisphere, I stir counter-clockwise ;)

I mouse lefty, and on those rare occasions when a co-worker wants to show me something on my computer, the LH-mouse leaves them all crossed-up :mad: Can't do anything with my left-hand that requires finess--like writing or throwing a ball--but clicking one of two buttons? What's the big deal :confused: Maybe because I play fake the guitar, mousing left-handed doesn't seem that difficult...

Jens
2007-Aug-02, 03:17 AM
Doing something "right-handed" doesn't mean you do it solely with your right hand, you know. :)

OK, just to show how ignorant I am about baseball then, when I bat, I stand with my left side facing the pitcher. Is that left-handed or right-handed? Why?

SeanF
2007-Aug-02, 02:02 PM
OK, just to show how ignorant I am about baseball then, when I bat, I stand with my left side facing the pitcher. Is that left-handed or right-handed? Why?
That's right-handed.

Generally speaking, the front arm (which "pulls" the bat through the swing) provides power, while the back arm (which "pushes" the bat) provides control. If you're right-handed, you generally have better control over your right hand, so you use that arm for the control. You would probably have slightly more power in the right arm, as well, but the difference in control outweighs the difference in power.

When you've only got one hand, though, you've got to use it as the power hand. You lose that additional control, but trying to "push" the bat through the swing with just the back hand would give you almost no power at all.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Aug-02, 02:18 PM

BTW, I should just mention that this poll is probably biased. I automatically look at any topic that deals with left-handedness, and probably would not do so if I were right-handed. I think that this thread will probably attract a higher percentage of lefties than righties, because we tend to be more interested in the subject.

A wise guy heh?

Actually you make a very good point. The handedness of a swing is overemphasized. A proper baseball swing is a whole body affair. Any decent player can train themselves to switch hit if they just spend the time.

Try swinging the bat moving only your arms, from either side. You won't get squat for power, and the quality of contact will suck rocks.

A very simple way of thinking about it is that a good swing is the result of thinking of your entire body as a spring, winding and then unwinding from the feet to the hands and thru the bat to the point of contact.

It's all simple physics.

triplebird
2007-Aug-02, 02:38 PM
I'm a righty, except for sports: I bat, golf, and bowl(!) left handed. My mom is almost ambidextrous; she can do everything except write with either hand. My mom's dad was born a lefty, but was forced to use his right in school (in his era, the left hand was considered the devil's hand*--you know, angel over your right shoulder, devil over your left. :) ). Therefore my grandpa became completely ambidextrous, able to do everything including write with either hand.

*This may be why "left" has had bad connotations throughout history--even in language. The words sinister and gauche, for example, derive from the Latin and French words for "left".

Jens
2007-Aug-03, 05:53 AM
Generally speaking, the front arm (which "pulls" the bat through the swing) provides power, while the back arm (which "pushes" the bat) provides control. If you're right-handed, you generally have better control over your right hand, so you use that arm for the control. You would probably have slightly more power in the right arm, as well, but the difference in control outweighs the difference in power.

Hmm, it sounds like I emphasize power over subtlety. But seriously, it has always puzzled me, because for everything that only requires only one hand, I exclusively use the left. But for all things that require two hands, like playing the guitar or piano or batting or golfing, I do things just the same way that right-handed people do. About the batting, it's probably just that I'm ambidextrous enough that I imitated others, and never found it uncomfortable.

Like for example, I would use my left hand for a hatchet. But for a two-handed axe, I would hold the end of the handle with my left hand, and hold the part near the head with my right hand. So I'd be providing power with my left hand and control with my right, I think.

SeanF
2007-Aug-03, 02:34 PM
Hmm, it sounds like I emphasize power over subtlety. But seriously, it has always puzzled me, because for everything that only requires only one hand, I exclusively use the left. But for all things that require two hands, like playing the guitar or piano or batting or golfing, I do things just the same way that right-handed people do. About the batting, it's probably just that I'm ambidextrous enough that I imitated others, and never found it uncomfortable.
That's kind of cool! :) I would guess your assumption about why you do it is correct.

Like for example, I would use my left hand for a hatchet. But for a two-handed axe, I would hold the end of the handle with my left hand, and hold the part near the head with my right hand. So I'd be providing power with my left hand and control with my right, I think.
Yup.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Aug-03, 03:45 PM
About the batting, it's probably just that I'm ambidextrous enough that I imitated others, and never found it uncomfortable.

I think that is why I am ambidextrous at all. I probably would have developed into a full-blown lefty, except that everyone around me was righty. Enough imitation of elders and others and there you have it - ambidextrous.

EDIT: Not to mention the beatings I got for writing left-handed.

Well, . . . maybe not beatings. But I think someone else mentioned the wack across the knuckles fromn the teacher's ruler. I got that a bunch. Hard to believe they were so barbaric about that as recently as the early 60's. Maybe I can blame all my nuerosis on them. Maybe somebody owes me a boatload of money.

Sticks
2007-Aug-03, 04:00 PM
Well, . . . maybe not beatings. But I think someone else mentioned the wack across the knuckles fromn the teacher's ruler. I got that a bunch. Hard to believe they were so barbaric about that as recently as the early 60's.

Has anyone heard of that practice today, or at least in the 1990's

I remember visiting someone in 2000 who said they thought they ought to stop their daughter being left handed as this is a right handed world, or something along those lines.

BTW, apologies if this transgresses the no religion rule, but the Bible never said that Satan was left handed. The only person I recall by name as being left handed was one of the Judges of Israel (Judges 3:15) just for any misinformed zealots out there

triplebird
2007-Aug-03, 04:36 PM
...the Bible never said that Satan was left handed.

I think the "devil's hand" belief comes from this passage (in Revelation, IIRC):

"...Then shall the King say unto them on His right hand, 'Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world...' Then shall He say into them on the left hand, 'Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels...'"

The belief of evil on the left dates back to at least Roman times---that's when the superstition of throwing salt over your left shoulder originated, to confuse the evil spirits lurking there.

Sticks
2007-Aug-03, 04:47 PM
Actually that quote is from Matthew 25

Click Ticker
2007-Aug-03, 04:49 PM
Drew Neitzel, point guard for the Michigan State Spartans mens basketball team, is quite ambitdextrous. It's been reported that his father had him do simple things like switch hands when brushing teeth or eating while he was growing up. Until his coach, Tom Izzo, made him pick one hand to shoot jump shots with - he would shoot with either hand depending on the side of the court he was on or the defense. He dribbles with either hand. Watching him play, you really can't tell whether he's a natural lefty or righty. He was Mr. Basketball in the state of Michigan his senior year in high school.

crosscountry
2010-Mar-29, 02:56 AM
Very old thread, and maybe I should start a new one, but a discussion in this thread (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/97895-ask-gillianren-10.html)caused me to remember that we once had a poll (which I still believe to be relevant).

jokergirl
2010-Mar-29, 09:06 AM
I am not left-handed either.

;)

cran
2010-Mar-29, 11:55 AM
it seems I am not alone in answering the poll question:

"it depends on what I am doing at the time"

I am left-handed for anything which requires finesse,
right-handed for anything which requires speed or strength,
and ambidextrous for everything else.

I can write with either hand, but if I want neatness or consistency,
better with my left.
I use most tools with either hand, except a hammer (right dominant).
I used to play most sports as right-hand dominant, but could switch
if the situation indicated.

If I'm eating with a single implement (whether fork, spoon or knife), I'm left-handed,
if using two implements (knife and fork, fork and spoon), I'm right-handed.

I also made noises with a guitar in the right-hand mode.

AndreasJ
2010-Mar-29, 12:10 PM
I'm pretty strongly righthanded.

A slightly odd aspect: as is usual for righthanders around here (I seem to recall hearing that Americans do it differently?), I use the fork with the left hand and the knife with the right when eating, even when eating something that mostly calls for the fork. On occasion I've found myself having eaten an entire meal with the fork, my right (stronger, more dextrous) hand having just sat there holding the unused knife the whole time.

crosscountry
2010-Mar-29, 02:56 PM
I'm pretty strongly righthanded.

A slightly odd aspect: as is usual for righthanders around here (I seem to recall hearing that Americans do it differently?), I use the fork with the left hand and the knife with the right when eating, even when eating something that mostly calls for the fork. On occasion I've found myself having eaten an entire meal with the fork, my right (stronger, more dextrous) hand having just sat there holding the unused knife the whole time.

Being left handed, I use the right hand with a fork only when holding a knife in the left hand. Otherwise my left hand does the work. Therefore I switch depending on the mode of eating.

I used to hit a baseball left handed only, but my dad gave me a right handed set of golf clubs as a kid, and now I'm right side dominant. I can't even hit a golf ball left handed. Right handed I have more accuracy with a bat, but left handed I have more power.

AndreasJ
2010-Mar-29, 03:35 PM
Being left handed, I use the right hand with a fork only when holding a knife in the left hand. Otherwise my left hand does the work. Therefore I switch depending on the mode of eating.
Not sure if I follow - are you saying you regularly switch between holding the knife and putting it away somewhere during meals, or that you use a knife for some meals and not for others?

Starring Emma
2010-Mar-29, 04:37 PM
I've heard that left handed people don't live as long. I wonder why that is...

cran
2010-Mar-29, 10:13 PM
my cousin, and other left-dominants I've met, do the same -
whereas I use the fork in left at all times ...

I used to hit a baseball left handed only, but my dad gave me a right handed set of golf clubs as a kid, and now I'm right side dominant. I can't even hit a golf ball left handed. Right handed I have more accuracy with a bat, but left handed I have more power.
that reminds me of when I first consciously played right-handed -
it was a scratch baseball game at school; I was batting left-handed and not doing well (foul zones every one) ...
someone suggested I switch, and first ball I faced I knocked far enough to run to third - that convinced me ...

Jim
2010-Mar-30, 02:36 AM
... whereas I use the fork in left at all times ...

That's the European System, hold the fork in the left hand to cut the meat and move it to your mouth. The 'Murican System is to hold the fork with the left to cut, then switch it to the right to eat. (I read that somewhere years ago, but I forget if they explained why.)

I'm right handed and throw right, but bat left. I also use the European System.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-30, 08:18 AM
That's the European System, hold the fork in the left hand to cut the meat and move it to your mouth. The 'Murican System is to hold the fork with the left to cut, then switch it to the right to eat. (I read that somewhere years ago, but I forget if they explained why.)
John Cleese mentioned it when on Parkinson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1yKb_77Sf0) around 1:30.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-30, 08:20 AM
I've heard that left handed people don't live as long. I wonder why that is...
Perhaps slightly more error prone due to being forced to use various asymmetric tools in the non-dominant hand?

Spoons
2010-Mar-30, 08:27 AM
I'm left-handed. Though for most things it's simply a matter of how I first learn to do them, and I don't notice a solid theme to which hand does what. Fork in left, knife in right. I throw right-handed, kick left footed, computer mouse - right hand.

My writing is awful, so I rarely scribe much the old-fashioned way these days. I remember at one stage being penalised for typing an essay because writing hurts my hand. I get a crazy cramped up prawn-hand when I hold a pen.

These days, with writing a rarity, it seems there's not that many things I can think of that I do left-handed, so maybe now I'm right-handed. Though if there's any truth to the left-handed type of brain stuff then I guess I'm a Taurus.

Oh, I drink left-handed! So yeah, definitely left-dominant!

cran
2010-Mar-30, 12:12 PM
... The 'Murican System is to hold the fork with the left to cut, then switch it to the right to eat. (I read that somewhere years ago, but I forget if they explained why.) ...

that sounds like a lot of faffing around just to stuff food in the gob :lol:

living on my own, I tend to use a fork only (pastas and rice dishes),
or make things I can eat with fingers (rolls, etc) ...

of course, I'd get a lot of black looks in those parts of the world where eating with fingers
is done with the right hand only - the left hand being considered unclean
(for practical as well as social reasons - there was a reason why thieves
lost their right hands when caught and punished) ...

Spoons - I've had both experiences:
penalised for typing instead of writing in the 1970s;
penalised for writing instead of word processing in the 1990s ...
times change ...

I'm definitely a two-fisted drinker when I drink;
if I'm being sociable, though, I'm a left hander
unless I'm also holding something else (nibbles, smokes, voice recorder for interviews, etc),
except if the other thing is a camera (which always goes in the right hand) ...

chrissy
2010-Mar-30, 12:39 PM

Right handed person here.

Back in the days of using ink and nib the students were forced to use their right hand, one of the reasons for this was because it smudged the writing across the paper work and made it illegible.

Sticks
2010-Mar-30, 02:24 PM
And as stated in a post I made some years ago on this resurrected thread, there were "religious reasons" which I will not elaborate further on, as I have already done so in my early pre-mod days.

cran
2010-Mar-30, 03:08 PM
Right handed person here.

Back in the days of using ink and nib the students were forced to use their right hand, one of the reasons for this was because it smudged the writing across the paper work and made it illegible.
the cheap ballpoint pens didn't make much difference ...
there were some interesting variations on how to write without smudging the words ...

chrissy
2010-Mar-31, 12:43 AM
I still manage to smudge if I am using normal ball point pens and like I said before I am right handed. :( These new smilies need smudging they are poo!

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 12:48 AM
I remember when I first saw how da Vinci did his mirror writing. I wondered why I hadn't done that. Then I tried it and realised why.

Do/did the Arabic folk get caned until they write with their left hand?

(chrissy, have you tested out all the smilies yet? ;) :D)

chrissy
2010-Mar-31, 12:55 AM
No not yet, I am still trying to get my head around the new mod toys. Maybe I need to get here early and play around more, I will say sorry in advance if I ban someone. But it is c0ol!

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I'm always a fan of finding fun new things to explore like this. It beats hiking! :D

Well chrissy, I still accept you even though you're right-handed, but careful with the new toys - I'm not a fan of the heavy-handed.

Jens
2010-Mar-31, 04:00 AM
Do/did the Arabic folk get caned until they write with their left hand?

Interesting question, isn't it. But actually, no. Arabic and Hebrew writers do not do it with their left hand. They still have to write with the right hand, even if they are writing the wrong way. As a lefty, it's a question I've sometimes asked Arab friends: is it normal for people to smudge the ink? But I haven't gotten a satisfactory answer yet, mostly because I can't speak Arabic so can't read what others have written about it.

crosscountry
2010-Mar-31, 04:04 AM
Not sure if I follow - are you saying you regularly switch between holding the knife and putting it away somewhere during meals, or that you use a knife for some meals and not for others?

yes. If no knife is required, I hold the fork in my left hand. If I need a knife, it goes in my left hand - until I'm done cutting, then the fork goes back into my left hand.

So, I switch while eating but usually hold the fork in my left hand.

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 04:10 AM
Wow... I've never seen somebody switching around while eating - that sounds awful clumsy. I find it's a good thing as a lefty having the fork in my left hand, because the knife doesn't go anywhere near my mouth, whereas the fork does, so I prefer finer control with the fork.

Jens, surely we've got some Arabic friends in the BAUT community, right? If anyone knows who it'd be interesting to hear how they deal with the smudging, or whether they do. Whenever a card gets passed around the office for someone leaving the project I always have to make a big fuss not to ruin other people's messages.

crosscountry
2010-Apr-01, 03:02 AM
Wow... I've never seen somebody switching around while eating - that sounds awful clumsy. I find it's a good thing as a lefty having the fork in my left hand, because the knife doesn't go anywhere near my mouth, whereas the fork does, so I prefer finer control with the fork.

for some reason I was taught to use a knife in my left hand. I have no idea why. It would be clumsy, but it tends to dictate the order in which I eat my food. I don't eat a bite of each thing in succession. Rather I eat several bites of one thing before moving on to another.

actually, it appears to be the proper way of eating.
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Fork-and-Knife-Properly
step 5 is switch hands, and what I do.

I am opposite of course.

crosscountry
2010-Apr-01, 03:07 AM
and another place describing the same thing
http://www.ehow.com/how-to_4845381_2_improve-table-manners.html

Here is the proper technique for using a fork and knife. Assuming you are right-handed, hold the fork in your left hand and the knife in your right. With the tines facing downward (curving towards you), hold down an end piece of whatever you are cutting (let's assume it's meat). Do not hold the knife or fork like a dagger, but rather, place your index finger along the top of each utensil, holding each at the end. This gives you greater control without looking like you're hacking into the poor, dead animal. Gently, using a sawing motion, cut the meat near the tines of the fork, so you have one bite-sized piece. Then lay down the knife (without allowing it to touch the table) and switch the fork (complete with pierced meat) to your right hand. Bring it up to your mouth, chew quietly and swallow when the meat is sufficiently masticated. This is called the American (or Zig-Zag) method of cutting food. The Continental (or European) method consists of not switching hands, and using the left hand for all fork-related activities.

I have no idea who taught me this or why I do it "correctly."

Spoons
2010-Apr-01, 03:27 AM
Well, as soon as you go to Europe it's not so correct then.

So that's how to spot an American on holiday... diabolical!

crosscountry
2010-Apr-01, 03:30 AM
Well, as soon as you go to Europe it's not so correct then.

So that's how to spot an American on holiday... diabolical!

we can spot you guys because you say "holiday" :D

Spoons
2010-Apr-01, 04:04 AM
Vacation, I meant vacation! It's this darn word processor - it's translating my words into some sort of gibberish. Strewth!

Jens
2010-Apr-01, 08:42 AM
We Americans never use the word "holiday." Everybody must know that song by Madonna:

So let's take a vacation, uh huh, let's celebrate...
Vacation, it can be so nice.

closetgeek
2010-Apr-01, 12:57 PM
According to this news story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6923577.stm), I may have a raised risk of schizophrenia :eh::eek:

Yet another weapon to beat us lefties up :(

Please, the world already knows that lefties can't be trusted. ;)

Dgennero
2010-Apr-01, 04:16 PM
I'm missing ambidextrous.
I am (I think most ambidextrous people are) selectively both-handed.
Right: Write, shoot.
Both: Box (the left has more force, the right more precision).
Left: Throw, kick a ball (ok, that's a foot).
So my right hand is for delicate, the left for crude "work".

RobDog
2010-Apr-01, 04:58 PM
Writing: Left
Throwing: Right
Drinking: Left
Smoking: Right
Spoon: Left
Knife/fork: Right/Left
Kicking: Left
Batting: Right
Mouse: Left (but with the buttons set for right-hander)
Box: Left jab; right cross/hook (i.e. not southpaw)

I see absolutely no pattern here!

None of this seems to cause any problems though, apart from constantly annoying the person next to me at a restaurant table when I pick up their glass.

Spoons
2010-Apr-04, 10:33 AM
Apart from the pattern of being an enigma, which suggests you should be kept in a lab and studied. :D

I like the way you listed that - apart from the mouse I'm exactly the same. Yes, I also have an awesome moustache.

RobDog
2010-Apr-04, 05:29 PM
... apart from the mouse I'm exactly the same...

In which case I have 3 hypotheses:

1) We were separated at birth
2) I am constantly flying between London and Perth committing the world's most complex, expensive and pointless example of sock-puppetry
3) I have somehow slipped through a wormhole in the future, and you are my future self. In which case we must endeavour never to meet, or we may bring about the end of the universe... or something.

:)

Jens
2010-Apr-05, 05:45 AM
Writing: Left
Throwing: Right
Drinking: Left
Smoking: Right
Spoon: Left
Knife/fork: Right/Left
Kicking: Left
Batting: Right
Mouse: Left (but with the buttons set for right-hander)
Box: Left jab; right cross/hook (i.e. not southpaw)

Can I make just a couple of guesses on connections:
No idea about throwing and writing. It's probably something about strength/dexterity, but it's hard for me to understand, because I do both left-handed.
But about drinking and smoking, a lot of people do them both at the same time, so you can't do them with the same hand unless you are very, very, very dexterous. So probably it's a habit. I'm not a smoker, but I imagine that if I smoked, I would do so with my left hand, and would probably learn to drink with my right hand to accommodate the smoking.
Same with knife and fork. Most people are not coordinated enough to use them both with the same hand.
Kicking: non-sequitur, unless you kick with your hand? People who are right-handed are not necessarily right-footed or vice versa (I think there is a statistical relation, but it's definitely not 100%). It's the same with eye dominance.
Mouse: I'm not sure but I am completely left handed but am a right-handed mouser. I think it's because I used to use computers with other people, so I just imitated them and didn't bother moving the mouse around the desk.

RobDog
2010-Apr-05, 10:29 AM
Can I make just a couple of guesses on connections:
No idea about throwing and writing. It's probably something about strength/dexterity....

I think you're right about the strength/dexterity connection. This is further borne out by the fact that when I'm decorating, I use my right hand to paint large areas with a roller where less dexterity but more strength is required, then switch unthinkingly to my left hand to use a fine brush to paint around windows etc. where the opposite is required.

Trebuchet
2010-Apr-05, 11:47 PM
Lots of lefties write with their hand curled around over the top to avoid smearing the ink and make their writing slant the right way. My wife does that too -- except she's right-handed! Looks awkward as anything, to me.