PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Stir Your Drinks?

Celestial Mechanic
2004-Nov-10, 04:55 AM
I don't want to detract from the poll on handedness, but something I've been curious about is the direction in which people stir their coffee, tea, what-have-you. I stir counterclockwise, but most people I've spoken to say they stir clockwise. There may be something worth studying here! :D

Wolverine
2004-Nov-10, 04:58 AM
Clockwise for coffee and tea. Anything else I'd consume that'd require mixing either goes in a shaker or a blender.

mickal555
2004-Nov-10, 05:00 AM
After a wise clock............................For milo
Though...

I'd rather it be shaken than stired 8)

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Nov-10, 05:08 AM
Either way. I suppose it just doesn't matter.

Ut
2004-Nov-10, 05:15 AM
Counter, though I think I clicked on clockwise in the poll. It was just a force of habit. I probably would have said clockwise, too, and then had to think about which way clockwise actually is.

Wolverine
2004-Nov-10, 05:25 AM
Come to think of it... for the extremely meticulous, shouldn't there be a both option? :D

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-10, 05:26 AM
I can't say I've ever noticed which way I do it... :o

Celestial Mechanic
2004-Nov-10, 05:28 AM
Come to think of it... for the extremely meticulous, shouldn't there be a both option? :D
You mean as in to stir first one way and then another? I hadn't thought of that.

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Nov-10, 05:34 AM
Yeah, I do that sometimes too. Maybe an either/both option as well. :wink:

Parrothead
2004-Nov-10, 05:35 AM
I voted either. My coffee usually doesn't need stirring, I pour the milk in first and it gets stirred as I pour the coffee on top. Mixed drinks, usually end up getting stirred in both directions, just a habit.

Dark Helmet
2004-Nov-10, 06:18 AM
<.<

>.>

shaken, not stirred.

</James Bond>

mickal555
2004-Nov-10, 06:43 AM
After a wise clock............................For milo
Though...

I'd rather it be shaken than stired 8)

<.<

>.>

shaken, not stirred.

</James Bond>
Hey [-X

PhantomWolf
2004-Nov-10, 07:44 AM
I generally use a spoon. 8-[

dvb
2004-Nov-10, 10:39 AM
I usually start stirring my coffee clockwise, then switch it up in between to make sure it's stirred real good. I voted clockwise though, because I don't always do this, but I always start with a clockwise motion.

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-10, 11:47 AM
Counterclockwise, but I had to get a cup of coffee to figure it out. :)

Argos
2004-Nov-10, 12:54 PM
Being on the southern hemisphere, I stir it clockwise. :wink:

Wally
2004-Nov-10, 01:01 PM
It's gotta be a right hand/left hand thing, right? I mean, for right handers to stir counter-clockwise is just plain silly! Kinda like pedalling a bike backwards or something. . .

That said, for cocktails w/ ice, I normally don't do either. I tend to just "jab" the ice in downward stabbing motions to get the proper mixture. Preferrably, this is done with a plastic cocktail sword loaded with no less that 2 queen sized olives.

Celestial Mechanic
2004-Nov-10, 01:54 PM
It's gotta be a right hand/left hand thing, right?[Snip!]
It might be, or it might not. (How's that for a definitive answer! :lol: )

Seriously, I don't know if there is a correlation with handedness or gender. A real study might ask three questions: 1: Gender 2: Handedness 3: Stirring Direction. It would be interesting to see the statistics on this. I know that the majority will be right-handed, with a higher percentage of left-handed males than right-handed females, but as for the stirring direction, I don't see any reason for a correlation and won't venture a guess as to what such a study would find.

The stirring direction is more likely to be something innate because, unlike handedness, we generally don't have concerned parents watching their children stir things and "correct" them if they stir in the "wrong" direction.